collapse

Author Topic: faceting machines  (Read 2114 times)

goltzy75

• ALF'er Silver Member
faceting machines
« on: February 06, 2010, 09:46:25 PM »
Hi!
   I am looking at buying my first faceting machine. Can anyone recommend a certain brand to look for and what price range i would be looking at for a decent second hand machine? Also where the best place to purchase one? I really only want to cut sapphire and zircon if that helps. Any help for a beginner would be great!

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
Re: faceting machines
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 02:58:10 AM »
Here's one old thread to read through.
http://aussiesapphire.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=623.0

Jeff Grahams site is a wealth of information
http://www.faceters.com

What I will say is if you do go second hand, check the dops too. I've just found out, ok by a couple of weeks, that virtually all mine are bent or home made, lathed off centre.

Money is always an issue, have you tried cutting yet? Second hand is cheaper but to try it first either at a club or a friend's is cheaper again.
You might find you really like the machine you try..or not.. and that will of course help your decision one way or the other.
Keep em comin!!!

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
Re: faceting machines
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 09:50:08 AM »
The market for second hand faceting machines is really strong - often price is around half of new machine no matter how old it is and how much they would have paid for it in the first place. Sometimes even more if there are lots of good extras.   Every now and then, you might come across a deal where a family member is selling out a collection without a good idea of true value but you have to be in the right place at the right time for this kind of opportunity.

Unlike cars which lose a heap of value as they drive out of the dealer's door, this equipment holds value really well.  This is simply supply and demand.

We handle second hand machines when we come across them but most change hands privately so word of mouth is the main thing in this situation.  If you are looking for a machine, best to let as many relevant people know about it so you hear of any potential deals.  ie. let your closest gem club know you are looking for a machine and keep a close eye on Ebay and the Trading Post.

When looking for which brand to go for, consider what you want:
warranty and factory support, are parts and accessories quickly/easily sourced, how many people use that machine that could offer advice and help, price, waiting list (if any), etc.

We've tried a few different brands and have come down to a couple where we can rely on general build quality and reliability, good factory and warranty support from the factory, little or no waiting list for new machines, readily available parts - this helps us provide a good service to customers.   There are other machines which are also excellent in quality but fall down on some of the other points.

good luck in your search,

cheers
Leah

Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

Recent Activities

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[Today at 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose
[Today at 01:41:37 AM]

New mast and quill assembly by RoughCreations
[March 27, 2024, 08:46:05 AM]

Lapidary Industry Turmoil in the USA by tinker