collapse

Poll

Can divining improve your chance of finding water or sapphires?

I am a true believer !
24 (30.4%)
I think it's possible
23 (29.1%)
I don't know
11 (13.9%)
I don't think it's possible
10 (12.7%)
Totally impossible !
11 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Divining  (Read 75088 times)

Cainozoic

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Divining
« on: June 09, 2010, 06:13:09 PM »
The more posts I read the more I hear about divining. Now I have worked as an exploration geologist and I know that it takes more than an understanding of geological conditions and structures to locate mineral deposits. Gut instict and greater observation are key factors in finding good stuff.

In my years of prospecting, I and those around me, have made some interesting observations. Despite having a fairly good understanding of the geology of the areas I prospect I still dig in random locations which, geologically should be barren, only to unearth some really good finds. My best description would be that the area felt right. Is this is how diviners operate or do they just wait for a sign from their rods? Do you need equipment to divine? What is the success rate? Are you really divining or just searching for a spot that feels right.

More often than not I go prospecting and find more than others simply based on my feeling for the right spot. It annoys everyone because they think that I am using secret geology knowledge but really I just dig because it feels right. What do you think?

Cheers Cain
Old rockhounds never die, they just petrify.

mehoose

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Divining
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 06:24:06 PM »
Gut instinct isn't to be sneezed, there again you might be the rod.  ;)
Think there's a thread about this somewheres. Bluey's into it.
A & L also have a dvd about it on their site.
Keep em comin!!!

mehoose

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 06:27:22 PM »
Here's one thread
aussiesapphire.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=498.0
Keep em comin!!!

Stix

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 07:28:38 PM »
Bluey is a divining nut! But it works for him.

I have been divining for about 6 months and i'm not a "believer" but i'm no longer a "sceptic" either.  I thought i would try it out, being a huge sceptic i didn't expect much but thought what the hell i have nothing to loose.

I have devined probably 10-15 holes in that time and every single one of them has had something there.  My worst 2 results ended up with me finding a single basketball sized lumps of conglomerate, right under where the rods crossed and nothing else about.  Every other spot has ended up having atleast a very thin wash layer.

There is no science to divining BUT it does seem to work, i never want the rods to cross because i am normally a huge sceptic but they do and i can't explain it.  It seems to work best for me when i hold a piece of corrundum (normally a bom) in 1 hand.  I don't believe that divining finds me sapphires but i do believe it finds me concentrations of heavy material, be it conglomerate, billys or sapphire bearing wash.

I'm having problems at tomahawk creek at the moment because a lot of the best patches of virgin wash are underneath large piles of very old overburden.  I get a reading everytime on top of these overburden piles and don't know if it's from the overburden or wash underneath it so i tend to keep away from any surface "heavies" when devining.

Not a believer but slowly leaning that way :s

Stix

Wwoofa

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Wwoofa
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 07:57:53 PM »
Hi Cain,
I agree with you about places "feeling right".  I think this comes from experience and is subconscious to some degree. You can't describe exactly what you're looking for but you know it when you see it.  I've found it's not always reliable though ... I have found places that looked perfect .... virgin ground, perfect wash layer, right part of the creek, nice boulders etc etc etc and after hours of digging found absolutely nothing. But I think the more you dig, the better your senses are at finding good spots.  It's an interesting idea that this is perhaps how divining works .... it never crossed my mind but it could be a big part of it.  I think diviners say they have no control over the wires but maybe they are moving them without being aware of it?  Or maybe they are just tending to walk near areas that look right more often than areas that don't ... it would be quite natural for people to do that.
Regards, Paul

Stix

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 08:49:57 PM »
I'm not going to disagree with the "feel right" theory BUT, i am not experienced enough in fossicking to know what areas look or feel right.  I am always thinking "don't move rods, don't move rods" and even when they do, i try and straighten them.  Sometimes i can straighten them and i dismiss the "reading" it's when i can't straighten them or more i can feel them pulling together that i take a bit of notice and say to myself WTF!?!

Grumpy Santa

• ALF'er Bronze Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 10:54:06 PM »
I was a sceptic too til I met an old bloke in the CQ gemfields. He had a shed full of weird home made contraptions he had made to find, sift and concentrate sapphire wash.

He offered me a pair of sapphire divining rods to locate sapphire for $2.00. For $2.00 how could you go wrong? He showed me how to hold and use them and away I went. His theory was that the aluminium devining rods worked because sapphires are aluminium! Who am I to argue?

I had limited success in finding sapphire in the field on that trip but the clincher was when I took them home. I got the missus to put a jar of sapphire under 1 of 5 buckets in the back yard and I found the jar every time.

Spooky.

It's become a bit of a party trick at bbqs after a few beers and most of the guys get the hang of it eventually.

I don't know how accurate they would be if the ground you were devining has an even spread of sapphire in it but they may be useful finding a concentration or they may find individual stones in an otherwise barren area.

Like I said, for $2.00 they don't owe me anything and they're a bit of fun and as good a method as any to find sapphire in an area you suspect is worth digging.

Andrew

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 07:46:19 AM »
 Its a fascinating subject,been skeptical is real easy as there seems no real basis for it working ::)
However it does :o
 I have never worked out how but always felt that it must be a magnetic pull to the wash deposit. I consider you are finding wash Runs that hopefully contain Sapphire not Sapphire with some Wash around it. Most good Sapphire Wash has a lot of ironstone which is highly magnetic.
 Another idea I have heard is you are Water Devining (badly usually ) and picking up Streams the way experienced Water Deviners do,only mostly the water has left long ago ? Not sure what to think of that idea ;)

Cheers Andrew  
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 08:02:09 AM by Andrew »

moonshadow_dancer

• ALF'er VIP
  • Gems are like Rainbows...becoming rarer!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 08:07:41 AM »
Last October when we went for a few days out to Rubyvale, I wanted Craig to make some divining Rods, well we forgot too.
One day there we went out to Tomahawk Creek and we found some old wire, not Aluminium just like fencing wire. So he sat there and made us both a pair. In some spots it was like those thing were going to pull out of our hands, in other spots the crossed so far they couldn't go any furthur as our bodies stopped them. I do think our rush made ones were on the to flimsy side, but when we put them over some old washed sieves with ironstone everywhere they were like little bloodhounds bending down to the stones trying to smell them almost.

I think I will get some Aluminium ones for next time.

Take Care,
Deb :)
Ron and I have an Appointment to do some Laps ;) ;D

Wwoofa

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Wwoofa
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 10:06:35 AM »
Yep it's real easy to be sceptical but I've learnt that just because something can't be explained with "science" doesn't mean it isn't real.  If divining works for someone then I'd never try to talk them out of it ..... there's a lot of dirt between the gems and anything that improves the odds has got to be worthwhile :D

Cainozoic

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 11:25:55 AM »
Do you think this method will work for topaz? I hope I haven't come off as a sceptic just trying to learn new things. Decent sapphires here are rare as hens teeth.

Wwoofa

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Wwoofa
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 11:51:59 AM »
Hi Cain,
Some people say that it will work for anything .... you just need to hold what you are looking for in your hand or some people attach it to the rod ... the end that you hold.  I wonder if anyone has ever tried divining for gold ??
Regards, Paul

Andrew

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 01:41:49 PM »

Yes I have spoke with a Gold Deviner,they like me hold a piece of whatever they are after in there hands against the Rods.
 Rusty old heavy wire has always worked best for me.
Andrew

Cainozoic

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 02:38:51 PM »
Can someone post a photo of their rods, I'm going to give it a go on Monday ;D

Aussie Sapphire

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Aussie Sapphire
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 04:26:36 PM »
Take a look at this video (from the DVD that Merryn mentioned further up but the divining part is only very short).

The bit you need is at about 1:14 in - blink and you'll miss it but it will show you enough to make some.

Gemseek Web Promo

They are about as simple as you can get so give it a try.

cheers
Leah
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 04:30:18 PM by Aussie Sapphire »
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

Tags:

* Sponsor

HTML Online Editor Sample

ALF is hosted by Aussie Sapphire as a free service to the Lapidary community.

Visit our website here
Phone 1800 50 21 40
Or find us on Facebook

Recent Activities

My new blog and You Tube channel information by Findem
[June 26, 2019, 02:24:29 PM]

TV glass toxicity? by roughcreations
[June 26, 2019, 11:56:26 AM]

Stepper motors Fantasy machines by MakkyBrown
[June 25, 2019, 10:44:42 PM]

lamberts by sapphireminer
[June 25, 2019, 10:27:28 PM]