collapse

Author Topic: Bert Smit faceting machinery  (Read 8567 times)

RoughCreations

• Administrator
  • ALF'er Platinum
    • Rough Creations homepage
Bert Smit faceting machinery
« on: July 23, 2021, 10:30:07 AM »
The following are shots of Bert Smit's faceting machine and related equipment that he manufactures in the Netherlands. I have bought several of Bert's ebonite disks in the past (https://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=6707.0) there are some of his disks visible in the pictures below. I first heard about Bert's gear from Giel, another forum member, based in the Netherlands. I found it interesting that Bert makes these faceting machines in batches of ~ 15, so it is not a one-off personal machine.

He is a very careful craftsman as evidenced by his superb disks. He makes, amongst other things, dops, transfer blocks for various diameter and style dops, disks and pre-former attachments. He is going to send me some pictures of his other gadgets.

For those of you, like myself, that like to see how others design their machinery, see below. If anyone is interested in how to obtain any of it, PM me and I can supply you with more info.

His forum name is simply "Bert" without the quotes - you can search the forum for his nick, then click the email icon next to his member name.
Main menu---Members---Search for members.

I don't quite get all of the subtleties of Bert's machine, from the pictures - how would you raise and lower the depth of cut, and how would you cheat? Is that a drill chuck hiding in there?
Feel free to add your comments or thoughts. Bert doesn't speak English I believe, but is active on a European forum I think.

See also: https://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=6669

RC

Faceting machine

Faceting machine and transfer blocks top view

Faceting machine close up

Preformer on mast

Preformer

Preformer templates

Transfer block

Transfer block model 2

« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 08:15:10 AM by RoughCreations »
Rough Creations - Beauty from rough beginnings

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
Re: Bert Smit faceting machinery
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 10:47:52 AM »
Very interesting looking machine and looks quit complex. I can see an index wheel at the back of the quill and it looks as though it is cheated somehow with the drill chuck. I can see the performer (two pictures just above the preforms) has its own base and mast, so it’s totally independent of the faceting head. There’s a pin sticking out just above the bottom wing nut on the post that must be used for fine adjustment. But I don’t see how its going to have much of a distance in movement.
 Looking at the slot the faceting head shaft fits into, it must lift out. Is that to lift out and inspect the facet being cut or some other purpose?

RoughCreations

• Administrator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 02:08:35 PM »
Looking at the slot the faceting head shaft fits into, it must lift out. Is that to lift out and inspect the facet being cut or some other purpose?

There appears to be a little silver grub screw holding the bearing in, but it looks like it would be quick to remove the quill if required. Not sure why he's done it this way, but I will ask him. The brass index wheel looks a bit like the ones from the Chinese machines you see around.

RoughCreations

• Administrator
  • ALF'er Platinum
Bert Smit (Forum Donater) faceting machinery: Index Gears
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 08:09:16 PM »
I recently received an 80 Index gear for my Facetron machine made by forum member Bert, located in the Netherlands.

The gear fits my Facetron machine very well, I am very happy with the craftsmanship, as usual. The gear is constructed of very hard 7075 Aluminium alloy.
I believe Bert can make other Indexes, and possibly for other machines as well, contact him through the ALF Personal Messaging system for all queries, or contact me if you have problems locating him, his member link is Bert: https://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/index.php?action=emailuser;sa=email;uid=167828

You may remember (as discussed in another thread a few months back) I tried to locate the genuine Facetron Index gear part from the USA to no avail. (https://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=6963.0)

Bert generously asked that I donate the price of the Index gear (30 Euro plus 19 Euro postage) to ALF, which I did a moment ago using the "Donate" button on the forum Main Page, rather than pay him for it.

Remember also that Bert makes all sorts of faceting accessories including complete machines (see earlier in this thread).

Some pictures:

« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 08:22:03 PM by RoughCreations »

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 05:00:34 PM »
It looks the goods RC, you'll have to let us know how it goes. A big thanks to Bert for offering to make these, Jarvi are impossible to get at the moment although I believe there is someone going to continue with manufacturing spare parts.
Common sense isn't exactly common

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 05:21:14 PM »
Bert just kindly sent me a very nice transfer jig. Just giving it a first test :)

Recent Activities

Victorian Sapphires by Alaskan
[Today at 09:14:05 PM]

The Next Big Trip by Jimnyjerry
[Today at 06:56:45 PM]

Flinders Island 2024 by Jimnyjerry
[Today at 06:53:36 PM]

Tomahawk creek by MakkyBrown
[Today at 11:11:53 AM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by Alaskan
[Today at 11:10:32 AM]

Green tourmaline set in a cast 10Kt yellow gold ring by RoughCreations
[May 16, 2024, 01:27:37 PM]

How to figure platform height for the handpiece, while reading diagrams by Faceting Frank
[May 16, 2024, 10:41:17 AM]

Vale Woofa by MrSydney
[May 07, 2024, 10:12:47 AM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[May 05, 2024, 04:52:12 PM]

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by Clarky
[May 04, 2024, 10:19:48 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[May 02, 2024, 03:20:57 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Jimnyjerry
[May 01, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

Planning a trip to NT by tinker