collapse

Author Topic: Faceting machine head assembly.  (Read 6311 times)

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
Re: Faceting machine head assembly.
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2024, 12:33:09 AM »
Thanks for the info MB and RC. That encoder comes with an 8mm hollow shaft which is good, as it will fit straight onto my machine. So, when I look through their options when placing an order I will be asking more questions.
Quiet often they don't stock all the shaft sizes unless you want to order a larger quantity.

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2024, 01:26:14 PM »
I can see they only have the 6mm. Though won't change anything till I'm ready to fit one. By then they may have an 8mm one.

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2024, 09:17:27 PM »
 Have ordered an Avago Technologies AEDM-5810-Z12 5000cpr encoder from Mouser with a 6mm shaft. Not a problem making an adaptor for it to fit my setup. Been taking some pictures of my progress with this, but can’t make any real progress till I get the 20mm chromed mast for the linier bearing. Couldn’t source that here in OZ, so had to get it from China.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2024, 09:33:21 PM »
Yeah they are the best value encoder. Even if the price has gone up quite a bit of the last few year.

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2024, 10:29:49 AM »
Looking at Tom Herbst book, one of the displays he recommends is a Hitachi HD44780. Also an Arduino Duemilanove microcontroller. Looked at the Hitachi displays and they look ideal, but I wouldn’t have a clue on the best Arduino for the job. I don’t intend to use the encoder as a stop, just the initial setting of the angle and maybe some occasional checks. So could you recommend an Arduino for this MB. Thanks.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2024, 11:45:33 PM »
You might aswell go with some grunt and get an NodeMCU ESP32 or if on a budget get an Ardriuno Nano. The screens RC have been using are nice color TFT screens. About $20 each. You want to use a good few 0.1uf decoupling capacitors. Talk nicely to RC he has code for the screen.Get voltage reg board aswell, can't remember the chip number will look tomorrow.

RoughCreations

• Administrator
  • ALF'er Platinum
    • Rough Creations homepage
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2024, 01:09:02 PM »
I would definitely go the ESP32 board. Very powerful for the money, in fact you can get no-name boards as cheap as chips, and have Wifi, Bluetooth etc. You will also be able to directly use my/MB's code more easily.

RC
Rough Creations - Beauty from rough beginnings

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2024, 02:27:59 PM »
Thanks for the info MB RC and the offer of the code.
How many capacitors will I need, they come in packs from 10 to 500. The ones that I’m looking at on eBay are 0.1uf 100n 50v y5v 5mm. I can see the TFT screens are better because of the back light in them. The screen which seems to be ok for this is a 3.5” SPI TFT LCD module display screen with touch panel driver, has a lot of connection pins on the back of it. So will need something to fit onto. I assume I don’t want a reversing camera screen. The board is a bit more confusing. The options on eBay are.
NodeMCU-32S ESP32s WROOM Wi-Fi + BT 38Pin MCU Development Board for Arduino
ESP32 NodeMCU Development Board ESP32-Dev Kit 38 PIN Expansion WiFi Bluetooth
ESP32S NodeMcu Development Module 2.4GHz WiFi Bluetooth Dual-Mode Antenna.
Probably all the same thing with the description changed round.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2024, 04:12:15 PM »
https://www.jaycar.com.au/0-1uf-50v-blue-chip-monolithic-capacitor-pack-of-100/p/RC5496
I think I purchased the above, pm me your address and I'll send you a few. I used maybe five, RC may have not used any. My motor is very noisy. 

EDIT: Maybe just buy the 100 pack as you will used them on other projects and modding your current one.
Your going to need a project board or two, header pins, a cable. Project box, get a plastic not aluminum so there is less chance of blowing stuff up/shorting to case.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 04:27:10 PM by MakkyBrown »

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2024, 07:14:30 PM »
Saved those links, will look at them tomorrow. Thanks.

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2024, 09:22:24 AM »
Ordered the board, screen and caps. So, when I have all the bits will start to put it all together. Don't need to have the machine ready to do that.

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2024, 10:10:37 PM »
The two ESP 32 boards I ordered arrived today for my encoder, but don’t understand what they are meant to do. Looking at all the prongs on the back they are meant to plug into something. The board RC is using with his encoder is similar to the one Tom Herbst shows in his book. So, the question is have I got the wrong parts and need to get the same board as RC. Thanks.

RoughCreations

• Administrator
  • ALF'er Platinum
    • Rough Creations homepage
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2024, 10:59:58 AM »
Hi Frank,
All good so far. My board is just a different form-factor - same basic components that are just arranged differently and the physical size is smaller with yours, I would get the one you got probably in future. The ESP32 is basically the processor chip on your board. You can plug it into a shield, or just solder it to a experimenter's board to make your connections nicer to the encoder, buttons, screen etc.
Will post a bit more when I get some more time,
RC
Rough Creations - Beauty from rough beginnings

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2024, 12:35:03 PM »
The two ESP 32 boards I ordered arrived today for my encoder, but don’t understand what they are meant to do. Looking at all the prongs on the back they are meant to plug into something. The board RC is using with his encoder is similar to the one Tom Herbst shows in his book. So, the question is have I got the wrong parts and need to get the same board as RC. Thanks.
Best way is getting some female header pins and soldering them into a project board. That way the EPS 32 can easily be removed if needed as they are really hard to unsolder. I will try and reply more later, bit busy.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 12:37:18 PM by MakkyBrown »

Recent Activities

Victorian Sapphires by Alaskan
[Today at 09:14:05 PM]

The Next Big Trip by Jimnyjerry
[Today at 06:56:45 PM]

Flinders Island 2024 by Jimnyjerry
[Today at 06:53:36 PM]

Tomahawk creek by MakkyBrown
[Today at 11:11:53 AM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by Alaskan
[Today at 11:10:32 AM]

Green tourmaline set in a cast 10Kt yellow gold ring by RoughCreations
[May 16, 2024, 01:27:37 PM]

How to figure platform height for the handpiece, while reading diagrams by Faceting Frank
[May 16, 2024, 10:41:17 AM]

Vale Woofa by MrSydney
[May 07, 2024, 10:12:47 AM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[May 05, 2024, 04:52:12 PM]

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by Clarky
[May 04, 2024, 10:19:48 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[May 02, 2024, 03:20:57 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Jimnyjerry
[May 01, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

Planning a trip to NT by tinker