collapse

Author Topic: Rhodonite  (Read 22815 times)

southerly

• ALF'er Gold Member
Re: Rhodonite
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 07:27:42 AM »
I was inspired by our gem of the month, so I cut a lump of rough I'd purchased a while back.

Any suggestions of where it might have come from?

MickB may have an idea, though there is a large number of pink to yellow rhodonite deposits that all look pretty much the same.

David

mick B

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 10:20:27 AM »
Very difficult to say which deposit this comes from, as there is quite a few this color, it does look like a tight grain, should polish good.

Klingon

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 05:04:52 PM »
You're a genius Klingon, why didn't I think of that?  :P

Sorry...just couldn't resist   ;D ;D ;D
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind :- Dr Seuss

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 08:19:47 PM »
I'm becoming a bit of a rhodonite fan atm, thanks for sharing the pics. Looks a beautiful material, looking forward to seeing some. :)

Cheers
Andrew

kanecats

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2019, 03:41:25 AM »
Hi David,
I live in the US and would like to get hold of some gemmy rhodenite rough like you posted, from your local. Can you share a contact by chance? Thanks, Diana

I have a question, some of the boys in my local club talk about Royal Rhodonite and those who one the peice will say it is and thoses that do not own it will often say its not and just plain Rhodonite.

So my question is- what is the differance between Rhodonite, Royal Rhodonite and Imperial Rhodonite?

Is it simply the royal and imperial have a deeper more red colour?

I am interested to hear the thought of those who are more learned then myself on the matter.

Yes it is based on colour and translucency, there is no objective measure I know of just the deeper and more translucent the red the better. I believe the term was coined for 'jewellery' grade rhodonite. MickB may be able to provide more details.

Here is the best piece of rhodonite I have cut, it just glows red in any sort of light and is very fined grained. Much of the deep red is quite coarsely crystalline and a challenge to polish.

This material comes from the Danglemar mine NE of Tamworth, which produced very high quality Rhodonite in thin veins. It takes a high polish.

Since this photo was taken I have achieved a better polish thanks to the help of Mick B.

Here is some fine Danglemar pink, not imperial buy a strong pink colour and very solid fine grained material that takes and excellent polish easily.

David

angel777

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2023, 09:00:03 PM »
gday, I want to grab some so, nundle was my last trip, forgot the pink gem but want it, I not sure do i just head to the Tamworth or near it as mentioned above.
thanks, Droo guys.
if you explain easily how to get there be helpful to me.
I'm loving it for sure. gorgeous stone. it's like pink gold.
love fossicking trips, meetups apreciated and some help. please send mud maps to help as I am on my own at moment researching it all. 50 yo
thanks.

tinker

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2023, 09:44:10 AM »
I found some of the Yellow stained Rhodonite in an old mine off the Bingara to Warialda Road, this area is a public fossicking area and I found a bit of this rhodonite with the yellow staining in the diggings, but also found a couple of pieces of nice pink. It takes a nice polish.  Someone on this site told me about the mine probable about 5 years ago, I'd been to Nundle and found some nice pieces of Prase and then headed north from there.

MrSydney

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2023, 12:50:10 PM »
I grew up in Tamworth and when a late teen did a trip to a Rhodonite spot just outside of Bendemeer on private property - not sure whose it is now.  I had a whole lot of big chunks of it and when I was at uni and my Mum sold and moved she threw it all out on me without telling me!!  :-[

The irony was that she got massively into rocks and crystals a few years later and couldn't believe she'd done it either!

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2023, 05:53:29 PM »
gday, I want to grab some so, nundle was my last trip, forgot the pink gem but want it, I not sure do i just head to the Tamworth or near it as mentioned above.
thanks, Droo guys.
if you explain easily how to get there be helpful to me.
I'm loving it for sure. gorgeous stone. it's like pink gold.
Hello Angel,
I got some nice pink pieces at the at Rhodonite Mine near Bingara about 8 years ago.
Let me know if you're going there and I will let you know where I found my bits and what to look for.

CheersMB

Recent Activities

Flinders Island 2024 by MakkyBrown
[Today at 12:34:23 PM]

Tomahawk creek by MakkyBrown
[Today at 11:11:53 AM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by Alaskan
[Today at 11:10:32 AM]

Victorian Sapphires by Bucket
[Today at 09:58:36 AM]

The Next Big Trip by Ranger Itchy
[Today at 08:14:34 AM]

Green tourmaline set in a cast 10Kt yellow gold ring by RoughCreations
[May 16, 2024, 01:27:37 PM]

How to figure platform height for the handpiece, while reading diagrams by Faceting Frank
[May 16, 2024, 10:41:17 AM]

Vale Woofa by MrSydney
[May 07, 2024, 10:12:47 AM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[May 05, 2024, 04:52:12 PM]

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by Clarky
[May 04, 2024, 10:19:48 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[May 02, 2024, 03:20:57 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Jimnyjerry
[May 01, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

Planning a trip to NT by tinker