collapse

Author Topic: CLEANING LAPS  (Read 10166 times)

REXL

• ALF'er Gold Member
CLEANING LAPS
« on: July 26, 2010, 07:22:20 PM »
Is there a "best" way to clean a lap , coarse not polishing. I recently scrubbed one of mine which appeared to be beyond the 'best before" but not past its use by date using a brass brush and heaps of detergent . It certainly improved it but i'm wondering whether there is a better way?

REX

fossickeract

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
Re: CLEANING LAPS
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 08:32:31 PM »
Hi Rex,
     Sovol Soap I use it regularly on copper laps, and my type metal polishing lap under a running tap, cleans and give a fine scoring pattern.
                            beers Ted
Life isn't a rehearsal.

kevo1960

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 09:51:50 AM »
i have a tin lap i use for polishing one side i have 50k diamond assuming i can use the other side i would like to go to 100k but seems to be contaminated is resurfaceing the only answer?

also the back side of my diamond laps seem scored can i use them diamond as well......ie 3k 20k etc

cheers
kevo

REXL

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 07:47:51 PM »
Kevo is it a tin lap or a typemetal??  When needed I resurface my typemetal laps by using a good quality Stanley knife blade .
You use plenty of water, medium to fast speed and hold the blade firmly just on the surface. It will screech etc and lift a small amount of metal. You will find that you now have a lovely clean scored lap. I have had to do it half a dozen times over the years (wrong facet on the lap scored it badly) and still have plenty of surface left.
 When you say the lap is contaminated have you tried runnng it in reverse with an agate?. This will usually clean out the rubbish which can actually ball up against the scoring and cause scratches.
 I use the steel back of an old worn out 3000lap. I scored it by using
600 wet n dry and heaps of detergent. I believe you can use finer grits but haven't been game to risk good stones.
REX 

drft_er

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 08:16:11 PM »
try again
Gday All,
I was wondering on how to clean contaminated laps also. I have a type metal that i use for 100 000 that has 1 anoying spot if i am not paying attention scatches a good polish. I have tried Wet and dry with some success.
I also have a Darkside that appears to be contaminated. I have tried washing it with detergent to no avail. also not long after i got it some of the surface came away within 3/4 of an inch of the outer edge - is there any way to smooth this off that will not destroy the rest of the lap?
Any ideas would be welcomed
Cheers
I Guess Ill keep Diggin or Fishing Hmmm or Golfing. There's just not enough hours in a day!!

kevo1960

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 07:18:56 AM »
thanks Rex, tried that blade thing maby give it another shot mabe this time in reverse
what i don't understand is how the blade scores when it actualy shave the lap flat, i read info on how this is done but no one has pics or vids on the web, and im not really keen on joining the local club.there should be more vids on the net about these sort of things but pretty much seen them all

cheers
kevo

Gearloose

• ALF'er Platinum
    • Gearloose.com
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 11:29:36 PM »
I also have a Darkside that appears to be contaminated. I have tried washing it with detergent to no avail. also not long after i got it some of the surface came away within 3/4 of an inch of the outer edge - is there any way to smooth this off that will not destroy the rest of the lap?
Any ideas would be welcomed

I will send Andy an extra in his next shipment.  Anything like that is replaced free.  It has happened a few times, unfortunately. Not a bad record, since there are 2,000 out there, but still, nobody should have to ever have one that does that.

drft_er

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 06:10:29 AM »
Gday Gearloose,
the lap is not unuseable the outer 1/2 in or so when polishing the gridle feels like corrugations not big chunks out but smaLL pits ok if i avoid that area. Still works ok if i can decontaminate? I have only used it with 100k diamond for polishing. At the moment i am getting scratches in 1 area. What is the best way to decontaminate?
Further info to help
When i cut i use 600 to preform 3k bonded cut cut facets 3k Pre Polish 100k polish
Thanks for your reply.
I Guess Ill keep Diggin or Fishing Hmmm or Golfing. There's just not enough hours in a day!!

Andrew

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 08:15:05 AM »

Hi Drifter,
  A new Lap is on its way to you tomorrow,we pride ourselves in customer service as does Jon. Have not seen this before hear but it will be fixed.
 I will send a pre- paid Post bag to send the old one back so we can investigate further whats going one with this one.
 Cheers Andrew

Andrew

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 09:22:06 AM »
I have a type metal that i use for 100 000 that has 1 anoying spot if i am not paying attention scatches a good polish. I have tried Wet and dry with some success.

If you have a damaged area the Lap may need to be machined again in a Lathe.
Other methods I have seen done is to use a Sheet of fine Wet and Dry on a very flat surface like a piece of thick Glass. Use a larger piece of Corundum in a sweeping motion over the Lap,this can flatten a scratch mark sometimes.
 Another option is to upgrade to a Batt at some stage,this way you can use one side for cutting with #3,000 and polish on the other ;D

Cheers Andrew   

drft_er

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 10:00:24 PM »
Gday Andrew,
No need to send another it is only the outside edge (1/2in) and only really comes into play when cutting small stones no probs, but if you could advise me best way to clean the lap would be good.

Batt lap is next on my wish listbut just have to get it past the finance department  ;D ;D
Cheers
Garry

Gearloose

• ALF'er Platinum
    • Gearloose.com
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 02:49:02 AM »
No need to send another

There is, because you are there, and they are made here, on another side of the planet.
  It is an opportunity to prove that because of the internet, everyone is "Just down the road'.
I wouldn't want to buy something from far away , and know that if something went wrong, I was on my own.

Ask anyone who has ever owned an old Jaguar!

kevo1960

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 09:54:07 AM »
well im convinced one side of my tin lap is buggard, refaced it with a blade nice and flat, was it and the machine charged it with 100k diamond and did one facet tooka 50k polish and turned into wahat seems to be a prepolish........now what........argggggggg

kevin

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 11:48:04 AM »
Is this where you might have to load the diamond on but then rub an agate across it a few times while spinning to embed the diamond? Not saying this is the answer but I've heard something along these lines.
Never done this so hopefully someone will chime in soon.
Keep em comin!!!

Ghost

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 05:20:39 PM »
Hi,

Clean all the diamond off, wash , etc.
Now try it again with no polish.
Does it still create scratches?

Regards,

Ghost

Recent Activities

Victorian Sapphires by Alaskan
[Today at 09:14:05 PM]

The Next Big Trip by Jimnyjerry
[Today at 06:56:45 PM]

Flinders Island 2024 by Jimnyjerry
[Today at 06:53:36 PM]

Tomahawk creek by MakkyBrown
[Today at 11:11:53 AM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by Alaskan
[Today at 11:10:32 AM]

Green tourmaline set in a cast 10Kt yellow gold ring by RoughCreations
[May 16, 2024, 01:27:37 PM]

How to figure platform height for the handpiece, while reading diagrams by Faceting Frank
[May 16, 2024, 10:41:17 AM]

Vale Woofa by MrSydney
[May 07, 2024, 10:12:47 AM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[May 05, 2024, 04:52:12 PM]

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by Clarky
[May 04, 2024, 10:19:48 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[May 02, 2024, 03:20:57 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Jimnyjerry
[May 01, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

Planning a trip to NT by tinker