collapse

Author Topic: OK .. Headed to Ewingar SF this weekend :)  (Read 18303 times)

jasonr

• ALF'er Gold Member
OK .. Headed to Ewingar SF this weekend :)
« on: September 17, 2015, 10:13:20 PM »
Hi everyone ...

Off to Ewingar this weekend .. Finally :)

18wedding anniversary. And it was my turn to choose holiday weekend.

Heading down Saturday staying at Drake then through to Ewingar on Sunday.
So hopefully tracks and things into Ewingar creek and the Bulldog diggings haven't turned to mud.
Maybe someone could chime in there regarding likely conditions through past the forestry camp through to Ewingar Creek ??
We will have an Mitsi Outlander SUV, and it aint no Navara :)

Also my wife and son will be there so how  prevalent are  things like ticks, leeches and snakes going to be like at this time of year.
Will take Deet though. :) and mongoose.

The targets will be smokeys, quartz, amethyst and may even have a quick pan of some bedrock wash/gravels for the gold.
Hoping to find the pegmatite and fingers crossed, some decent crystal.

Anyone welcome to comment on Ewinger, anything to share please feel free.

Will be posting up pics and report next Monday evening

So looking forward to it. :)

No just to get through this crap weather.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 06:32:58 PM by jasonr »
I dont care if the glass is half full or half empty.
Drink whats left or throw it away.
Either way stop staring at the damn thing !

Jamo

• ALF'er VIP
  • Gippsland Rocks!
Re: OK .. Headed to Ewingar SF this weekend :)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 01:06:17 PM »
Thanks Jason. Looking forward to the report of your trip
Baaa humbug, not enough fossicking time!

MALACHI

• ALF'er VIP
  • Live long and prospect
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 03:54:13 PM »
Have a good one Jason, I hope the trip works out well with many splendid crystal finds. I too will be looking forward to reading about your visit to Ewinger. Definitely one of the things in my bucket list.   ;) 8)

Malachi  beers

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 06:18:08 PM »
 :) G-day Jasonr , you will find many things at Ewingar. Leaches and snakes probably yes... not many ticks at the moment, wait till the hot weather hits, then there out. Oh and State Forests running around looking important ::) You need a permit for fossicking in state forests >:(, They "Patrol" Ewingar often  ::) .....Might be a little slippery getting around up there, its raining up there too at the moment...But the goodies are there to be found... have fun that's the main thing...

Gemster..... beers
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

jasonr

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 07:09:42 PM »
Hi everyone ..

Well we are at Drake and there is a little rain about .. not too much though and the ground around the pub doesnt feel waterlogged at all from previous rain so thats good :)

Staying at the Lunatic Motel (yup that is its name) we just finished a fairly nice meal at the pub ..

Staying here in a room .. 100 bucks a night for the three of us and it has a separate bed room with double bed for us bigguns.

Will be off fairly early tomorrow morning to make the journey to Ewingar ... Will stop at the forestry camp and try to get a few more photos of the place including inside the cabins as I couldn't find any on the net of the actual building interiors.

If not too windy I will release the drone for some aerial photos aswell :)

If anyone else is around feel free to say hi :)
We will be driving a silver Mitsi Outlander.
And knowing me, the one bogged in the mud.

More to follow over the next few days :)

J

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 07:53:48 PM »
Bogged like this  ;D , got a bit stuck one night trying to find a camp on our way home from Harts Range a few months ago, had to winch out.  Have a great w/end Jason looking forward to hearing how you go.
Cheers
Andrew

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 09:49:13 PM »
 ;) Looks like Ewingar State Forest on a good day  ;D..... Shouldn't be that bad if you don't get anymore rain......

Gemster...... beers

Jamo

• ALF'er VIP
  • Gippsland Rocks!
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 08:33:03 AM »
;) Looks like Ewingar State Forest on a good day  ;D ..... Shouldn't be that bad if you don't get anymore rain......
   Gemster...... beers
\
Any day fossicking is a 'good day' regardless of the weather. A bad day fossicking is better than a good day at work!  ;)
Baaa humbug, not enough fossicking time!

cams7

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 01:38:30 PM »
Good luck jasonr I was almost about to head down this avo but I need a new spare tyre for the truck and don't want to get stuck on any of the tracks out there. Been there done that, not fun lol. Not because of a flat tyre but a tree that fell on the track and trapped us in. What made things really suck was the lack of an axe and chainsaw, not to mention the 3 hr walk back to the forestry camp from rorys rd in the windy cold dark and mud. That's the only place we could get phone reception to call a mate to save us lol. Now Top that all off with a sleepless night because rats wouldn't let us sleep in there shed lol they jumped on our beds every 15 mins or so just had to keep kicking them off, the misses didn't like it when one jumped on her head either. Lol. But in the morning after clearing the log we turned the car around and went back down the track fossicking. I guess nothing will stop us lol.

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 02:50:54 PM »
 ;D Those "Rats" you talk about are a native bush marsupial.. We call them "bush rats".... Not your domestic pest rat.... Oh and they love plastic/vinyl (air beds), tyres, mouldings on cars and plastic camp plates.   >:(  >:(
Lovely little @#$!^'s but cute as......  :D

and yes any day fossicking is better than a day of work.. or a day at home.....

Gemster..... beers

jasonr

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 02:12:20 PM »
Well that was fun ... :)
Will go through photos and post full report soon ..

The stay at the Lunatic motel in Drake was disappointing.
The room we stayed in was clean and comfortable. Beds were good and linen was provided at no extra  cost.
Wasn't self contained as described by the lady over the phone. A jug, toaster and a few plates. Had a couple of cereal boxes to choose from for breakfast but no milk.
Fridge seals were all ripped as well.
Tried to get a can opener of the lady at pub and it seemed like a big mission for her .. Firstly said she didnt have one, we said "a commercial kitchen without a can opener?" which resulted in a quick memory spark and a can opener.
Of extra concern was the fact a door between our room and the next door room wasn't locked, nor was the lady able to lock it. In-fact the response was just push the bed up against it as a builder was going to fix it soon. She also mentioned the people staying in the next room were good people so nothing to worry about. (
I would imagine this is done on purpose to funnel people across to the pub for meals that I thought were over priced and fairly comparable to the average pub meal. Was pleased i didn't pay $25 plus for a t-bone steak as i saw someone else buy on and it was literally 1 cm thick.
I specifically wanted a self contained room with a stove or at the very least an electric fry pan .. as it was our 18th Wedding anniversary and i had a couple of nice and expensive eye fillet steaks to cook to celebrate. 
Anyway as it turned out the guys across the road in the community/info center heard our predicament as we were looking for a rest area with a BBQ so we could at least still have our steaks.
None were around close by so they let us use their BBQ even after the had closed for the day. They just moved it out the back to a covered area, and supplied gas and cooking utensils.... legends :)
If you ever go through Drake stop there and get a coffee .. and some of the home made ice-cream .... fantastic :) (Drake community and info center) (Not the pub)

Anyway enough of the accommodation, I guess you get what you pay for.

Onwards to Ewingar state forest .. :)

Roads in are good .. sealed most of the way, and once you are in the park its a fairly hard packed forestry track .. more sandy than muddy. I dare say any vehicle would be able to get to the Forestry Camp in dry or even damp weather quite safely.

The camp itself would only be for the hardened "sleep under the stars" type camper. See photos coming soon.

Carrying on to Rorys road was the same .. hard pack forest track, wide enough for  forestry vehicles etc.
However, completely different story when turning in Rorys road :)
Just wide enough for the car ... and i might add here this is a standard city SUV .. 4wd but certainly not 4wd as far as clearance goes :)
Went through some fairly deep ruts, although filled with water they weren't muddy or boggy.
Rory track split towards the end and despite the forestry map it did not continue past Ewingar creek. We parked down the left hand fork.
Saw remnants of past campers ... (please take rubbish with you guys)
Anyway I went for a walk down a track and saw access down the fairly steep bank to the stream .. went back to the car and caught the first leech attaching itself to my jeans ... that was in less than 1 minute walking through the bush :) I must say this area of Ewingar, whilst quite dense, is really beautiful rainforest. The creek itself was running and crystal clear water.
All our finds were in the creak and they were quite plentiful .. even found water worn clear quartz crystal very similar to the jellybeans of Stanifer Creek in Inverell.
Found your diggings Cam7 :) recognized the bank from your photo ...
Had a quick dig in one of your existing holes but gave up fairly quickly due to the ease at witch my son was finding nice and big specimens just lying in the creek :) Compared to my finding nothing up on the creek bank digging pegs.

All in all it was a good experience ... including finding the "dream time" lantern in one of the forestry camp huts ;)

Will post pics etc probably tonight ..

Cheers Jason R
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 02:15:58 PM by jasonr »

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 02:23:24 PM »
Great report - pity about the accommodation.

I remember doing some holiday work at uni at Drake back in 1987. The deal was me and a couple of friends did not get paid but accommodation and food was provided by the PhD student doing the research (on rat kangaroos) and we crossed a couple weeks of prac work off our list.  We did not realise he was vegetarian though which was a bit of a challenge for 3 pretty carnivorous Rural Sci uni students.  The rat kangaroos we were catching were starting to look almost tempting after 2 weeks of lentil stew.

Fun job but there was no pub at Drake back then - we had to resort to microwaved meat pies from the General Store on a couple of occasions. No community centre either - just the General Store.  So it must have grown just a little bit in the past few decades.

cheers
leah

Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 05:58:10 PM »
  beers Jasonr....Welcome To Drake. :D... unfortunately Drake like many a country town is slowly dying... No work, No doctors, No this and No that... most of the remaining youth have nothing to do, most move to the larger areas in the hope of work.... so no turnaround of people...=town slowly dies......
 I think the name of your ''motel'' is a suitable name for a B grade Horror movie... Driven through Drake too many times but have Never stoped and proberly never will....
Sorry Drake  :-*
  Welcome to Ewingar...Leach paradise... nothing like a leach or 5 in your socks... you think you are bleeding to death ;D... bit of pepper and watch them run off you ;)
 Ewingar roads  are quite deceiving... a little rain and your nice sandy road turns into a lovely type of grease that's very hard to get out of at times... I know that forests have been doing a bit of work up there..... probably  in prep to hand it over to Nat parks..... its got some of the best Rainforest in Aust. The area south of Ewingar around the old Gold mining area of Soffala(spell check) is pristine...
 The Forestry Camp ::)   well best bet is just keep going up the mountain....
 too many  ''Strange'' things or should I say 'Strange People' around there... possible Actors?
 BUT a great place for a fossick that's for sure... as you found out Jason it has its rewards....

Gemster....... beers

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 07:05:13 PM »
Great read Jasonr, looking forward to the pics.  beers
Cheers
Andrew

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 07:53:31 PM »
Looking forward to the pics.  Did see a few pics else where of some nice smokies that came out of there recently.  Still on my to do list.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Recent Activities

Victorian Sapphires by Alaskan
[May 18, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

The Next Big Trip by Jimnyjerry
[May 18, 2024, 06:56:45 PM]

Flinders Island 2024 by Jimnyjerry
[May 18, 2024, 06:53:36 PM]

Tomahawk creek by MakkyBrown
[May 18, 2024, 11:11:53 AM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by Alaskan
[May 18, 2024, 11:10:32 AM]

Green tourmaline set in a cast 10Kt yellow gold ring by RoughCreations
[May 16, 2024, 01:27:37 PM]

How to figure platform height for the handpiece, while reading diagrams by Faceting Frank
[May 16, 2024, 10:41:17 AM]

Vale Woofa by MrSydney
[May 07, 2024, 10:12:47 AM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[May 05, 2024, 04:52:12 PM]

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by Clarky
[May 04, 2024, 10:19:48 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[May 02, 2024, 03:20:57 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Jimnyjerry
[May 01, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

Planning a trip to NT by tinker