collapse

Author Topic: Cautionary tales.  (Read 6933 times)

harryopal

• ALF'er Gold Member
Cautionary tales.
« on: March 15, 2016, 04:40:22 PM »
Good afternoon,

Enjoyed the cautionary tales about jewellery heists from Aussie Sapphire. I recall reading of a con man who persuaded a number of major jewellers that he was setting up a jewellery exhibition in Melbourne and then absconded with the items handed over. I tried to find a link to the story... unsuccessfully.. but did find these close to home stories below.

FAKE EBAY GEMMOLOGIST CAPTURED

A man posed as a qualified gemmologist to sell thousands of dollars of fake diamonds and jewellery on eBay, according to court accusations.Jeremy Bannister appeared in Melbourne’s County Court last week, facing multiple fraud charges. It is alleged Bannister, 25, used online marketplaces eBay and Trading Post to trade in fake diamonds, jewellery and watches.

The court heard Bannister had claimed to be a qualified gemmologist who “sought quality gems from the cutting tables of Antwerp and Africa”.

In fact, Bannister was unemployed and allegedly used a number of false names and addresses to avoid detection on the websites.  Bannister’s plan came unstuck in December 2008 when a dissatisfied customer contacted police.

The customer made a complaint when a 3.77-carat diamond wedding ring he paid $4,500 for turned-out to be ”fake”, the news report stated.

After a three-month investigation police raided Bannister’s home in the Melbourne suburb of Glen Iris, uncovering fake stones, jewellery, and counterfeit brands including Rolex watches and Tiffany & Co.

Prosecutor Steven Milesi said the evidence implicated Bannister in “widespread fraud”.

Last week Bannister pleaded guilty to 43 charges, mostly relating to obtaining or attempting to obtain property by deception. He is accused of pocketing more than $157,000 from his victims.

According to The Age report, Bannister used the money to fund a lavish lifestyle, including purchases of a Porsche and a back-up BMW.

He would generate sales on online trading sites like eBay and Trading Post by writing his own “glowing reviews from satisfied customers”, pushing-up prices by bidding for his own items.

Bannister’s lawyer argued his client’s conduct was “amateurish” and bound to be detected, asking the judge to take into account Bannister’s lower level of mental functioning caused by an injury sustained when he was a teenager.

Judge Wendy Wilmoth adjourned sentencing to a later date.

----

Million dollar diamond heist

Smash and grab robber snatches a $1 million ring from a Collins Street jeweller on the weekend.A thief has snatched a million dollar ring after smashing a hole in an exclusive central Melbourne jeweller's reinforced window in broad daylight.
The man - dressed in black and wearing a black beanie - used a 1.8-kilogram hammer to smash the hole in the display window of Hardy Brothers Jewellers in Collins Street about 4.40pm yesterday, police say.

He grabbed the hand-made 9.1 carat round brilliant cut solitaire engagement ring, billed by Hardy Brothers as the Million Dollar Ring, and fled into an arcade and along nearby Equitable Place.
Police have been told that a piece of jewellery, know as the Million Dollar Ring, was on display in the front window of a Melbourne store when it was stolen by a man in black.
The store is near a tram stop where, police say, at least 15 passengers would have been waiting at that time on a Sunday afternoon.

Detective Senior Constable Al Brgoc of Melbourne City detectives said he was surprised by the brazen nature of the theft.
"He's given the window a couple of whacks with that and managed to break through a fist-sized hole, reached in not very far, just plucked the ring off its display stand and did the bolt," he said.
"There's no sophistication involved with this. It was the typical smash-grab.
"At 20 to five, even though it's a Sunday, there was still plenty of people around. There is a tram stop nearby that would have had at least 15 or 20 passengers waiting for a tram. It was pretty gutsy."
The hammer, described by police as a "baby sledgehammer, was discovered at the scene.
It was new but the brand name had been scratched from the handle in a bid to obscure where it was bought.
Little evidence remains of the crime on Sunday evening beyond a few shards of glass on the footpath beneath a now empty display case.

John Hardy established Hardy Brothers Jewellers from his rooms in Jamison Street, Sydney, in 1853, soon after his arrival from Nottinghamshire in England.  He opened a shop in Hunter Street in 1855, expanding to Queen Street in Brisbane in 1894 and Collins Street in Melbourne in 1918.
Hardy Brothers holds the royal warrant for silversmithing in Australia.

The Melbourne branch of the jewellery dynasty is located near the corner of Collins and Elizabeth streets in the heart of the Melbourne, close to the city's main shopping areas and financial district.

Det Snr Const Brgoc said detectives would review closed circuit footage and want to speak with anyone who sold a man a small sledgehammer on Sunday.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/1-million-ring-stolen-in-brazen-smash-and-grab-20090329-9ftz.html#ixzz42wkVp1iP
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 04:51:42 PM by Aussie Sapphire »
harryopal

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
Re: Cautionary tales.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 04:54:56 PM »
Fixed up the first version - sometimes a cut and paste does weird things to the font size and it displays at an invisible 2pt size text.

Is readable now.

The link I put in the facebook post were for some stupid jewel thieves.  The one in your second story seems to have got away with his heist so far.

Speaking of ill-gotten goods, if anyone is offered a number of 10X loupes with white and UV led lighting at a suspiciously low price, could you get in touch with us.  A box of ours has gone missing somewhere (we think we know where) and if they happen to turn up from a seller who does not normally deal in this type of gear, we would appreciate a heads-up.

cheers
Leah

Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

Andrew

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 05:36:14 PM »

Yes good post,the cost price to us for this carton of Loupes is just over $2,500 so please keep a eye out,the Cartons and Loupes are marked MG7802    hotthirsty

Wwoofa

• ALF'er VIP
    • Wwoofa
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 05:39:10 PM »
Hi,
Should this thread be in some other section ?
Regards, Paul

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 06:03:16 PM »
Hi,
Should this thread be in some other section ?
Regards, Paul

Yes - possibly  Have not got around to posting up some "keep an eye out" requests around the place as box only confirmed to be irretrievable last week.

cheers
Leah

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 06:40:22 PM »
 >:(...Sorry to hear that Leah and Andrew..... Once you can Confirm who, Name and Shame I say...
It's a Powerful Thing.....

I had a guy and his son come to my stall one day, looked me in the eye, and Stole a 1/2kg piece of Rose Quartz... Right under my nose.... NEVER AGAIN will that happen.... 8)

Gemster..... beers
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 06:52:34 PM »
>:(...Sorry to hear that Leah and Andrew..... Once you can Confirm who, Name and Shame I say...

Gemster..... beers

Cannot name and shame - we know where the box went missing but not specifically who is responsible.  So if they turn up on ebay or around the shows, it would be helpful to know about it.

Cheers
Leah

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 06:54:06 PM »
Getting back on topic, for those who are not on Facebook and did not see this article on our feed, you might be interested to read of these failed heists:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/aja-raden/historys-9-most-insane-je_b_9234252.html

cheers

harryopal

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 11:58:56 AM »
Sorry to hear about your lost loupes. Having a handcraft shop I know the feeling when you find something gone. Somehow it is very demoralizing. Of course we all know there are thieves and they have been with as forever... like cockroaches, I suppose but I am always amazed that people can do this and especially in a country that has supporting benefits that stop people from starving. More understandable in countries where there is no support and so for many it becomes starve or steal.

Some months ago I had two young ladies in the shop who first looked at some hair product kits and I saw one of the ladies with one in her hand. They then moved around the store and said they would be back in a moment and would come back. I checked the shelves and there was a kit missing. Went outside to see them just coming out of the store. I approached them and asked could they come into the shop which they did and one declaring I could check her bag. The bag appeared to have just a few things in it but there was bulge in the lining. The long and short of it is the young woman had slipped the kit inside under the black lining so it was not obvious. I retrieved the kit and then suggested to them that they could ruin their lives with a conviction for theft which would have employment implications and restrict travel as many countries will not allow visas to people with criminal convictions.

Like water off a duck's back. They were obviously seasoned shop lifters and quite blase and could not have cared less. With many young people there comes a point where it occurs to them they can get something for nothing and so stealing lollies or stuff becomes a game. Most grow out of but for others it becomes fun and then a way of life.

Not always easy to do but I guess we have to shrug these things off and now allow us to be depressed by them.

You have my empathetic consolations.
harryopal

Recent Activities

Victorian Sapphires by swirly
[Today at 03:50:32 AM]

The Next Big Trip by Jimnyjerry
[May 18, 2024, 06:56:45 PM]

Flinders Island 2024 by Jimnyjerry
[May 18, 2024, 06:53:36 PM]

Tomahawk creek by MakkyBrown
[May 18, 2024, 11:11:53 AM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by Alaskan
[May 18, 2024, 11:10:32 AM]

Green tourmaline set in a cast 10Kt yellow gold ring by RoughCreations
[May 16, 2024, 01:27:37 PM]

How to figure platform height for the handpiece, while reading diagrams by Faceting Frank
[May 16, 2024, 10:41:17 AM]

Vale Woofa by MrSydney
[May 07, 2024, 10:12:47 AM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[May 05, 2024, 04:52:12 PM]

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by Clarky
[May 04, 2024, 10:19:48 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[May 02, 2024, 03:20:57 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Jimnyjerry
[May 01, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

Planning a trip to NT by tinker