collapse

Author Topic: Small miners and fossickers - we need a voice.  (Read 29179 times)

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
Re: Small miners and fossickers - we need a voice.
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2016, 03:58:19 PM »
And I would suggest generally assisting those organisations who are already out there arguing for your interests.  If NAPFA have been negotiating on these issues on behalf of fossickers/prospectors, then it is probably more effective to join up with them, work to steer/adust the agenda if necessary and add your voice to theirs rather than going out and trying to start again from scratch.  Likewise with the QSMA - if they already are negotiating in that space, then help them.

It seems to me that there are already organisations out there working on these issues - if their voice is not loud enough, then add yours and make it louder.  Governments dont tend to communicate with individuals very well (a single voice is easily ignored) so if there is already an organisation that they are talking to that is supposed to represent your interests, then make sure they do so effectively.  And of course, this will be best done by constructive and respectful communication all round.

Been doing all these things already :) I have been a QSMA member for a couple of years and have been in communication with their executive body over this and other issues over that time and will continue to be. They are passionate advocates for small miners, the field and the communities on it and their efforts are to be applauded. I've said a couple of times that I was not on a crusade to supplant them - I was merely thinking of the bigger picture. Somehow, that message got lost in the discussion that followed.

Anyway, I will continue to pass on information as it comes to hand for all those with interest.

Cheers

snappa

• ALF'er Gold Member
  • Sapphire Miner
    • OffShore Fishing
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2016, 05:46:51 PM »
question to all

i didnt think we were allowed to live on our claims
and as a claim holder you had to mine a certain percent per year.

as per conversation i had with the mines lady at emerald???
Check out my Album ..

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2016, 06:39:02 AM »
question to all

i didnt think we were allowed to live on our claims
and as a claim holder you had to mine a certain percent per year.

as per conversation i had with the mines lady at emerald???

As the QSMA pres told me Snappa, these things change so fast sometimes that even they have trouble keeping up with new legislation. When I applied, I recall you were allowed to live on your claim as long as you were actually mining it, not merely using it as a residential address. Not sure how much per year you had to mine - it was a few years ago now - but the department did not prescribe a minimum number of hours, it simply stated that mining must be in evidence. But that may well have changed now.

Finally received a response from the Queensland Herbarium but I haven't time to read it now. It looks like there will be substantial amounts of information there that won't mean much without a translator.

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2016, 07:40:55 AM »
Interestingly, one thing the email from the Herbarium did appear to say was that the information regarding the ERE's has been publicly available for around 15 years. The DMNR office in Emerald tells me that they have only been aware of it a short time and the information was not in their database until very recently. Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing :)

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2016, 11:24:01 AM »
Interestingly, one thing the email from the Herbarium did appear to say was that the information regarding the ERE's has been publicly available for around 15 years. The DMNR office in Emerald tells me that they have only been aware of it a short time and the information was not in their database until very recently. Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing :)
Might be publicly available but not advertised or easy to locate. 
Think of council plans in Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy.

That data base may link up with this document.
http://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=14

See map page 21.
 :o
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2016, 09:55:26 AM »
Ok, the QSMA has had their meeting with the DMNR, good news is that the boundaries of the ERE should neither expand nor move in the future. Only received a short email so I don't know any more than that but lets hope it stays that way.

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2016, 11:39:19 AM »
At least you are getting some answers Lefty... Lets hope the QSMA and DMNR are correct and these hidden boundaries do not expand in the future.... ::)

Any idea how many claims are affected by this ERA thing?

Gemster..... beers
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2016, 08:42:26 AM »
Luckily there's only about a dozen Gemster. At least we know a bit more now.

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2016, 10:25:34 AM »
About 12 Claimholders lives affected, and their Families ..  :(    Here's another Example of the way they are Working....

Down here the QLD Government is Taking peoples Homes off them for road construction and They are only compensating people on Their Value ($850k).. not Market Value ( $1.6M ).... one fellow stands to loose about $900K. cause the Gov only wants to give him what They think is fair   >:( He only bought the place 12 months ago and wasn't told anything about the new road.... ::)

Gemster..... beers
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

Recent Activities

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by opal light
[Today at 03:26:28 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[May 02, 2024, 03:20:57 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Jimnyjerry
[May 01, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

Vale Woofa by Jimnyjerry
[May 01, 2024, 10:25:49 PM]