collapse

Author Topic: Couple of Buck 501's with Tamworth nephrite jade  (Read 22103 times)

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
Re: Couple of Buck 501's with Tamworth nephrite jade
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2016, 06:41:00 PM »
Hi Southerly,

Not sure if you'll read this, if you don't reply I'll pm you. I'm about to do a buck 501(when it arrives). I'm wondering why you and others are doming the scales and making the knifves a lot wider than standard? Is it just personal preference as I'm thinking of doing the 501 scales the same as my 110 scales as I was very happy with the fit and finished result.

Cheers
Andrew

Hi Andrew,
I have done it both ways, some are flush some are not, flush does look neater, personal preference really. It also depends on the knife, the bolsters on the buck 501 are very thin so grind more than 1-2 mm and you will put a hole in the bolster. Other knives like the CRCK I did have solid bolsters so they can be ground flush quite easily.
David
Thanks David, my knives have now arrived and they are quite different to the 110. I'm doing 2 x buck dukes 500(quite a large knife) and one squire 501(a lot smaller than the duke). The scales on both knives are curved and thin especially the squire.I'm making the scales outof some lune river fern and have currently slabbed them and cut to exact end to end fit. I've cut the scale slabs and trimmed the scales for exact fit, I now have to curve the faces and glue in. Will post a pic when I'm finished. There is no danger of a quick hole in the scales, it is the hardest material I've worked. I don't know why it's so hard but it makes agate creek agate seem soft.
Cheers
Andrew

Jamo

• ALF'er VIP
  • Gippsland Rocks!
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2016, 10:42:47 PM »
Andrew, it would be great if you could show us some progress pics. TIA Jamo

Baaa humbug, not enough fossicking time!

southerly

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2016, 07:15:19 AM »
Hi Southerly,

Not sure if you'll read this, if you don't reply I'll pm you. I'm about to do a buck 501(when it arrives). I'm wondering why you and others are doming the scales and making the knifves a lot wider than standard? Is it just personal preference as I'm thinking of doing the 501 scales the same as my 110 scales as I was very happy with the fit and finished result.

Cheers
Andrew

Hi Andrew,
I have done it both ways, some are flush some are not, flush does look neater, personal preference really. It also depends on the knife, the bolsters on the buck 501 are very thin so grind more than 1-2 mm and you will put a hole in the bolster. Other knives like the CRCK I did have solid bolsters so they can be ground flush quite easily.
David
Thanks David, my knives have now arrived and they are quite different to the 110. I'm doing 2 x buck dukes 500(quite a large knife) and one squire 501(a lot smaller than the duke). The scales on both knives are curved and thin especially the squire.I'm making the scales outof some lune river fern and have currently slabbed them and cut to exact end to end fit. I've cut the scale slabs and trimmed the scales for exact fit, I now have to curve the faces and glue in. Will post a pic when I'm finished. There is no danger of a quick hole in the scales, it is the hardest material I've worked. I don't know why it's so hard but it makes agate creek agate seem soft.
Cheers
Andrew

Sounds like the scales are nice and hard, it was the metal bolsters at each end of the 501 that are hollow and very thin. The way to get a truely flush fit between scale and bolster is to grind some metal away from the bolster as you blend the scale bolster join during sanding. The risk with the 501 is grinding too much metal away and putting a hole in the bolster. The stone once glued to the scale is usually no problem.

With the lune river palm which should look awesome, your challenge will be the hardness differential between the metal bolsters and the scales leading to undercutting of the metal.

The 500's look good I much prefer a drop point to the 110 blade shape, are you going to replicate the flat scale or curve them? I like the stainless bolsters.

David

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2016, 07:36:50 AM »
hmm, didn't realize they were hollow thanks for making sure I knew that.  beers
The 500 scales are curved so no option but to curve them.  My plan is to curve the scales so they sit just below bolster level using my flat lap to 600grit, glue and hopefully going to a 600 soft wheel will reduce risk of undercutting.

Cheers
Andrew

southerly

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2016, 02:39:31 PM »
I look forward to seeing photos of your Bucks.

Here is an example of flush cut scales.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2016, 10:18:20 PM »
Did you grind the face flush before or after glueing ?. I was planning to curve on my lap, glue, the grind top/bottom flush/curve etc.

southerly

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2017, 09:51:25 PM »
Sorry for the late reply. For flush scales I preform them roughly then glue them up, then grind them flush along with some of the metal on the bolsters.

Recent Activities

Victorian Sapphires by Alaskan
[May 18, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

The Next Big Trip by Jimnyjerry
[May 18, 2024, 06:56:45 PM]

Flinders Island 2024 by Jimnyjerry
[May 18, 2024, 06:53:36 PM]

Tomahawk creek by MakkyBrown
[May 18, 2024, 11:11:53 AM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by Alaskan
[May 18, 2024, 11:10:32 AM]

Green tourmaline set in a cast 10Kt yellow gold ring by RoughCreations
[May 16, 2024, 01:27:37 PM]

How to figure platform height for the handpiece, while reading diagrams by Faceting Frank
[May 16, 2024, 10:41:17 AM]

Vale Woofa by MrSydney
[May 07, 2024, 10:12:47 AM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[May 05, 2024, 04:52:12 PM]

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by Clarky
[May 04, 2024, 10:19:48 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[May 02, 2024, 03:20:57 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Jimnyjerry
[May 01, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

Planning a trip to NT by tinker