collapse

Author Topic: Sunstone  (Read 24356 times)

Mouse

• ALF'er Silver Member
  • Here for a good time, not a long time!
Re: Sunstone
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 01:11:25 PM »
There's only one known site for this premium material and from feedback I've had,  it was dug out a while ago. Unless a new find is made ...
Fullerton, if you know where the dug out dig site is would you be able to pm me it's location. I have come across a couple of references but nothing exact.

Cheers
Andrew

Ditto PM me Fullerton.

Regards

Mouse
Life is not all about the final destination, but the journey taken.

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 06:05:20 PM »
Years back met a guy named Larry who actually found a small pegamite with sunstone in it in NT. That is who gave me a piece of sunstone.

He went back to it a number of times.  Then one day when he got there found two big guys working the spot who told him very firmly to go away.  After that the spot got cleaned out.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 12:36:26 PM by Jimnyjerry »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

MALACHI

• ALF'er VIP
  • Live long and prospect
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 06:28:16 PM »
Doesn't that make your blood boil. Obviously these two thugs aren't part of the more considerate fossicking fraternity, who generally just want to add to the collection and have a little fun. There always a rogue somewhere who want to pillage for commercial gain. What will there be left to find for next generation if places keeping getting cleaned out?  >:(

Malachi

dughug

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 12:19:46 PM »
While  at Horsham at the GEMBOREE I was talking to the widow of the leasee of the rainbow lattice location she said that the lease was worked out and abandoned but one of the biggest problems they had were the unscrupulous fossickers that came and ratted the claim. There were even organised tours to the site which was still a paid up mining lease. With people like that in our fraternity it is no wonder that we are having a harder time getting into locations. 

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 06:38:52 PM »
It's disappointing so many spots have been closed because of those digging for commercial gain.  A few spots in Tassie have been closed because of people doing the wrong thing and I'll never get to visit them :(  For some it's about the $$ not the rocks.  I'm happy to visit those dug out areas, as sometimes with a bit of thought and poking around you find a few bits others have missed, especially under old overburnden piles. :) Enough to keep me happy but not enough to tempt those digging for gain.  That's why I'm keen to visit those old Sunstone spots as I'd be happy if I found just one little bit.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 06:55:43 PM by MakkyBrown »

earthound

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2017, 03:51:24 PM »
Just thought I'd add to this with some updated information. I was out at Harts range for the last few days and randomly ran into Darren one of the guys who has the lease on the lattice sunstone spot. It's not dug out, he walked out of the bush with with some lovely specimens when I saw him. But it is under lease and he has multiple cameras set up because people keep raiding it, and he is prosecuting trespasses.

He has lots for sale, I sat for many hours chatting and looking though what he had with him, hundreds of polished bits and some rough. He gave me a couple of bits and I'm meeting him in Alice tomorrow to buy some more. You can find him if you search for dazlyngems but so far as fossicking for it?  Not much chance I reckon. I found some nice bits of moonstone outside his lease specking but nothing with any colour..

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2017, 05:05:01 PM »
Yeh right... As MakkyBrown said 'Digging for Commercial Gain'... Nice guy or not... Cameras or not.. Still kept it for himself for COMMERCIAL GAIN... These are the 'Things' that really P%$S ME OFF.... I am sure plenty will agree with me..

Gemster..... beers
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 07:07:31 PM by Gemster »
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

Shivan

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • youtube
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2017, 05:24:57 PM »
I think its a little different if people are digging for commercial gain without a mining lease, than if a bloke is doing the right thing by taking out lease and doing what he loves for a living.

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2017, 06:24:12 PM »
I wonder How much he Charges for a Piece :o... I could only imagine..

:o :o Well I just had a look.... You are Joking... Not For Commercial Gain and Doing what he loves, Like Rippin us Off... ... Hope I do get to meet him when im out there.. >:(

Gemster..... beers
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 07:19:02 PM by Gemster »

swirly

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2017, 07:35:25 PM »
this has all ways been a problem,not just sunstone.i remember back in the 1970"s and 80"s,if you showed some people a good spot to fossick or dig,you would on your youre next trip back' you would often often find unfilled holes all over and not much stones left,gem club members were often where often the worst. these days i keep my best spots to my self.

earthound

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2017, 08:06:45 PM »
Digging for commercial gain?  What you think it's an easy road to start your own business? To pick an unusual gem and try to file your lease, jump through all the hoops with all government departments, then do small scale hand mining, process, clean, cut, sort, polish, market, run the business side, try and market your product, deal with customers, deal with wholesalers, deal with idiot fossickers who think they have a god given right to go anywhere they want to and that rules don't apply to them?

I've run a business for many years and have no problem with a little bloke who tries to make a go of something doing it the right way. There was nothing stopping anyone else doing it if they had the cajones to get in and give it a go. Put those thousands of hours and dollars into something they believe in.  And I've seen the total and utter destruction caused by weekend fossickers and clubs, huge deep holes, trees chopped down, rubbish left everywhere.

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2017, 08:35:23 PM »
earthbound, You need to speak to the Property Owner, on which this Lease is on to Find out how 'Nice' this Gone Down with Him.. Talk about being 'Back-Doored'. ::) His Number is Freely Available... ::)
Sorry I ain't paying for his New Condo...

X10 Makkybrown, this was mentioned when I was Talking with the Assistant Manager of Titles who looks after Fossicking in the NT..  And now all reference to Old Station Well has been Removed, and They assured me they are going to keep a closer eye on What is Happening out there after THIS Occurred ...

Gemster...... beers

swirly

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2017, 08:40:42 PM »
we live in interesting times.

swirly

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2017, 08:47:30 PM »
like all gemstone deposits,when the stones run out just nimble it and move on,there is plenty of other stones out there think positive and keep on digging.whineging is just wasting good fossicking time.

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2017, 08:48:21 PM »
 ;) That we Do swirly... 8)
  Ok to make a few $$, But to ask what he is asking... No bloody way..
  earthbound, have you visited his Website?..

Gemster....... beers

Recent Activities

Victorian Sapphires by Alaskan
[May 18, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

The Next Big Trip by Jimnyjerry
[May 18, 2024, 06:56:45 PM]

Flinders Island 2024 by Jimnyjerry
[May 18, 2024, 06:53:36 PM]

Tomahawk creek by MakkyBrown
[May 18, 2024, 11:11:53 AM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by Alaskan
[May 18, 2024, 11:10:32 AM]

Green tourmaline set in a cast 10Kt yellow gold ring by RoughCreations
[May 16, 2024, 01:27:37 PM]

How to figure platform height for the handpiece, while reading diagrams by Faceting Frank
[May 16, 2024, 10:41:17 AM]

Vale Woofa by MrSydney
[May 07, 2024, 10:12:47 AM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[May 05, 2024, 04:52:12 PM]

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by Clarky
[May 04, 2024, 10:19:48 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[May 02, 2024, 03:20:57 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Jimnyjerry
[May 01, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

Planning a trip to NT by tinker