collapse

Author Topic: MINERAMA 8th - 11 March 2018  (Read 19744 times)

GLEN VIC

• ALF'er Silver Member
MINERAMA 8th - 11 March 2018
« on: August 10, 2017, 02:35:14 PM »
Hi Alfers,

Time to get things rolling for 2018. A few answers to questions would be a help to start the planning process. But first....

As most of the serious gem hunters realise, the chance of finding that big blue takes a lot of work and sweat. We get feedback each year about the trips with $25.00 not being value for money and a great disappointment. Please know that $10.00 goes to the property owner and believe me they are getting few are far between these days.

As you know we endeavour to source properties where people can't usually get access to. We have listened and have started now engaging with property owners, talking to a few of the older miners around town, finding out where the the mining didn't happen in the 1960's to 70's etc. A few places are starting to pop up but need more following up etc. Also remember we do go out to prospective sites to test etc and unless we find something worth charging you a trip fee we do not just put it up for the sake of filling a field trip. We prefer to have less trips in this case than more.

We are also looking to start a new campaign entitled "Fossicking is Fun" to attract a younger generation of mums and dads and their kids.

QUESTIONS
  • How far are you prepared to drive from Glen Innes to get to a fossicking spot 20km, 30k, 40k, 50k. I know you will say it depends on what we are expecting to get - so for each distance is it worth telling us. Maybe you just do it for the fun anyway. You may not want to travel 40kms for jelly beans or zircon etc. This year, fossickers travelled 50km to a site 5k past Emmaville for emeralds
  • Let us know if you have a particular stone or item you are looking for..and don't say 100 carat sapphire or diamond!!!! ::)
  • Are fossils and petrified wood something to build a trip around.
  • Are you prepared to get dirty and tired and dig or just try out wash in a creek.
  • I know some people like to go to disused mines and we have quite a few around here. Anyone interested in a trip if we can get the OK
  • Is there an area you have heard about near Glen and we can check it out?
  • How about something on the Oban River?
Anything else worthwhile to add?

....and I will continue to remain light hearted!!!!!

Regards
Peter Teschner

Lord_Thunda

• ALF'er VIP
Re: MINERAMA 8th - 11 March 2018
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 05:25:52 PM »
Hi Peter,

Most, if not all fossickers would & do travel vast distances to find gems. For day trips, distance isnt usually a problem if the end result is worthwhile.

Fossils & petrified wood would be great to find as petrified wood makes beautiful cabs & fossils are sought by collectors.

Disused mines have been popular in the past e.g Gadens & always is interesting to see what can be found & the general composition of different minerals found.

The Oban River has not been readily accessible so could produce a worthy location.

Any new localities on private land would be excellent & if you need a hand to check any sites out, I am available to help.

Rej

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 09:46:25 AM »
Hi Peter, thanks for organising again this year.

I fall into the "family" category you mention as I came down from Brisbane last time with my 7 year old.

I see two kinds of people that attend. Those who want access to untapped spots in hopes of finding the big blue,and those who just want find *something* for their effort.

Honestly, I don't care if it's quartz or sapphire when I'm down there with my son. The thrill of finding things is the pay-off, not how rare or valuable they are. We spent 5 hours at the Rosemeadow site last time and finding a tiny chip of blue or zircon every 30 minutes just wasn't enough to keep the young one's interest. (or mine really). In contrast we had a blast at the emerald mine because there was lots of collecting to do (various minerals, tiny emeralds, topaz). Nothing worth any money but a great experience.  (we've even gone back since). Kids think a big clear quartz point is cooler than a 1 carat blue cutter. And I know there's the option of going through a pile of wash, but there's a learning experience in getting in the creek that you don't get from the pay-to-dig places that are open year-round.

So yeah, my vote is for more diversity and focus on less valuable things. Fossils: definitely!  Old mine where mineral specimens can be collected: yes! Pet. wood, sure. There are apparently spots for crystal plates around torrington, I wouldn't mind the drive if there was a guided trip somewhere in there as well.

I know the area is known for sapphire and it's really cool that these areas are opened up once a year so definitely continue the good work there but I'd love to see you put the mineral back into minerama to attract a more diverse crowd.

Easier said than done I know. Just my opinion since you asked.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:48:02 AM by Rej »

MrSydney

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 12:51:07 PM »
Hi Peter,

Thanks for jumping on this so early!

People will always travel further for the more precious gems - sapphire, emerald, diamond.

Most people are happy to work hard and in fact enjoy it if there is good potential to find something.  I think the issue is that last year there were a few sites where nothing decent was found at all - which with that many people working a place raises questions.  I know a lot of us went to Yarrow creek trip on day 2 (pretty sure that is Rosemeadow as discussed by Rej) and nobody found anything but a few specks (even the really experienced fossickers) - whether in the creek or digging.  However the rumour later was that we were directed to the wrong area of the creek -  being too close to the public road and bridge and being more heavily worked over.  I'd be curious to know whether that is what occurred if you know.  Compare this to somewhere like Cross Maglen where you don't always find something big but at least you are finding pieces and dreaming the dream! :D

A fossil / petrified wood trip would be of interest to some people and definitely I think be a good kid friendly one.

A mine could be interesting - we'd love it if you could get us into Kingsgate!!  But won't hold my breath.

While there are a lot on the forum who are keen to find a range of things I'd still say from a lot of the tourists and people who'd taken the time to travel to Glen Innes that I spoke to their number 1 hope, and reason for making the trip, was the hope of finding a cuttable Sapphire.  Zircons / garnets / nice quartz are a bonus. 

I've already noted the dates for next year in the diary!

starsapphire78

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 05:05:19 PM »
I just go after what ever is around , I have nothing I really chase , and I think the fee for the trips is worth it . I have found some very nice shines , MMMMMMMMMMMMMM SHINIES

GLEN VIC

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 11:54:24 AM »
FOSSICKING SITES UP AND BOOKABLE at https://www.minerama.com.au/fossicking/field-trips/

Thanks to the work of Peter Chaffey and his band of willing volunteers there are 10 Field Trips to choose from in 2018. Trip 6 - Twilight Fossicking is new addition commencing at 1:00pm with a talk about fossils found in the Emmaville area with an opportunity to search for some specimens and jellybean crystals. This will be followed by a sausage sizzle (approx. $5.00) near dusk and then the UV lights come out to look for fluorite. Bring you own UV lights or buy them at Minerama for $22.00.

Most sites do not have amenities. Please check the website and come prepared.

GLEN VIC

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 11:56:31 AM »
More posts to come about the exciting Guest Speaker for Minerama Dinner Sat night, hard copy programs available in New Year, UNE Discovery Voyager for those fascinated by all fossilish!!!

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 01:01:15 PM »
Will be interesting to eventually see the site when the site finishes maintenance mode.  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

starsapphire78

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 01:52:24 AM »
finding shinnies by  UV sounds fun , scorpions all so glow, under UV

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 03:21:12 PM »
Booked my one trip.   :)

Strange that this time they cannot spell the locations name the same on the booking site and the ticket. But then it is an American site.  ;D

Philip

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 04:00:00 PM »
Which trip are you going on this year Jerry?  I'm heading to Emmaville then Aroona Glen and then Boolabinga for the last one.

I'm looking forward to catching up with everyone again this year.

Philip

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 09:20:47 PM »
Crossmaglen Philip.  :)
Will probably see you in the morning gathering.  beers

Philip

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 04:35:19 PM »
hahaha.  I thought you emptied that hole over the last 2 years Jerry  :)

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 05:26:21 PM »
Needed a snorkel last year so should still be plenty in the creek.  8)
All you could see of some fossickers last year was a hat floating on the water and ripples of leaches converging.  ;D

Lord_Thunda

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 06:31:11 PM »
River levels have been up & down recently. Havent had much rain in the past few weeks tho, As it flows west to east it should have brought some more sapphires from the mines along its course. Still got plenty of boulders to move to get to the good stuff underneath in our lil spot  ;)

Recent Activities

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by Alaskan
[Today at 09:48:02 PM]

Victorian Sapphires by Rusted
[Today at 06:16:01 PM]

The Next Big Trip by MrSydney
[Today at 02:28:54 PM]

Green tourmaline set in a cast 10Kt yellow gold ring by RoughCreations
[May 16, 2024, 01:27:37 PM]

How to figure platform height for the handpiece, while reading diagrams by Faceting Frank
[May 16, 2024, 10:41:17 AM]

Tomahawk creek by Besty
[May 14, 2024, 07:00:25 PM]

Vale Woofa by MrSydney
[May 07, 2024, 10:12:47 AM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[May 05, 2024, 04:52:12 PM]

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by Clarky
[May 04, 2024, 10:19:48 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[May 02, 2024, 03:20:57 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Jimnyjerry