collapse

Author Topic: supplies  (Read 5306 times)

XTMess

• ALF'er Platinum
supplies
« on: November 10, 2013, 04:30:29 PM »
So I've signed up for a level 1 faceting course for the start of next year. Very excited.
Where is the best place to look for supplies. ( That isn't going to break the bank ).
Rock on...

XTMess

• ALF'er Platinum
Rock on...

steveo

• ALF'er VIP
Re: supplies
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 01:47:04 AM »
  That lap is a good price but I never heard of it, what is it for? I would see if others have and used it. My laps are 8" but all good laps I know run around $100.00 or more. Faceting is not cheap but if you check it all out and don't buy more than you really need to start. I got a 1200 lap that I only used a couple times and a 600 NuBond that I could have done without.
  See what others say.
Steve

Butts

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 02:41:15 AM »
Hi XTMess

Try this link it may assist.

http://www.gemologyonline.com/Forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086

I have purchased the greenway and the creamway for polishing quartz especially and find them very good. Depends on your budget I guess mate.

Cheers Butts

Andrew

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 07:47:08 AM »
I've signed up for a level 1 faceting course for the start of next year. Very excited.

Great,would suggest it wise to check what the Teacher needs you to have our what they promote in the course,often a Teacher will have there preferred methods and can cause friction if a student arrives with something new ;)

There are lots of Newer Laps that offer great results,be hard pushed to beat the Gearloose range of Laps with options for Beginners to competition cutters.

Flick us a PM if you need some direct advice beers

Andrew 

MALACHI

• ALF'er VIP
  • Live long and prospect
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 05:18:03 PM »
Hi XTmess.
 After I had completed my lessons at the club, I was given a list of laps, polishing compounds and dopping adhesives that would eventually be needed.

I was also told that it was okay to continue using what was available at the club. So I chose not to immediately rush out and buy the items on the list; I did this for two reasons.

* After I had finished the course, I wanted to complete a few more stones by myself. To be sure that I still liked and understood faceting, as well determine, if I had the temperament to be a facetor and deal with the difficulties that are sometimes encountered when cutting and polishing stones.  (Sadly, there is a small percentage of beginners that drop out or choose not continue faceting).

**For financial reasons, it had been my intention to buy a second-hand machine. Were most of the machines for sale would also include a reasonable collection of laps and accessories? (Unfortunately the down side with a second-hand machine is they could have problems; mine did.  Fortunately for me, my engineering background, skills and resources got me out of the sh-t at no further cost). 

So XT, enjoy the course, be patient, have fun and don't rush into buying expensive toys.  ;) :)

Mario beers

XTMess

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 09:57:32 PM »
Hi XTmess.
 After I had completed my lessons at the club, I was given a list of laps, polishing compounds and dopping adhesives that would eventually be needed.

I was also told that it was okay to continue using what was available at the club. So I chose not to immediately rush out and buy the items on the list; I did this for two reasons.

* After I had finished the course, I wanted to complete a few more stones by myself. To be sure that I still liked and understood faceting, as well determine, if I had the temperament to be a facetor and deal with the difficulties that are sometimes encountered when cutting and polishing stones.  (Sadly, there is a small percentage of beginners that drop out or choose not continue faceting).

**For financial reasons, it had been my intention to buy a second-hand machine. Were most of the machines for sale would also include a reasonable collection of laps and accessories? (Unfortunately the down side with a second-hand machine is they could have problems; mine did.  Fortunately for me, my engineering background, skills and resources got me out of the sh-t at no further cost). 

So XT, enjoy the course, be patient, have fun and don't rush into buying expensive toys.  ;) :)

Mario beeal

Thanks Mario will do. I've been given a list of things that I'll need ed for the course its not a large financial investment I've just ordered my all so good looking headband loupe thingy. Lol they were on sale through Aussie sapphires so I was wrapped. Xmas is coming up so I've dropped some hints for a few other things.

I'll let you know how it all goes.
Rock on...

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 10:02:03 PM »
XT, Andrew and Leah also have lap kits which I found really good value.  The laps cover the basics required and are priced reasonably for what you get.  As you progress and gain experience you may find that you will need other items which you can then purchase individually as required.  After nearly two years I'm still using some of the diamond disks I originally purchased, they are now well worn and I've added new ones as well, but the worn ones now work well at the pre polish stage.

Good luck with the course, I happen to know somewhere close to you where you can get some nice material to practice on!
Common sense isn't exactly common

XTMess

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 10:43:06 PM »
3153te author=Bucket link=topic=3698.msg34980#msg34980 date=1384426923]
XT, Andrew and Leah also have lap kits which I found really good value.  The laps cover the basics required and are priced reasonably for what you get.  As you progress and gain experience you may find that you will need other items which you can then purchase individually as required.  After nearly two years I'm still using some of the diamond disks I originally purchased, they are now well worn and I've added new ones as well, but the worn ones now work well at the pre polish stage.

Good luck with the course, I happen to know somewhere close to you where you can get some nice material to practice on!
[/quote]

Where is that bucket.
Rock on...

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 11:38:30 AM »
I'm tipping that would be Powelltown.
Common sense isn't exactly common

XTMess

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 07:32:21 PM »
Going to Powelltown this Saturday yay, also most of my supplies have turned up. Just gotta get a copper polish lap from aussie sapphires and I think i am done
Rock on...

Recent Activities

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by tinker
[May 03, 2024, 05:55:16 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[May 02, 2024, 03:20:57 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Jimnyjerry
[May 01, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

Vale Woofa by Jimnyjerry
[May 01, 2024, 10:25:49 PM]

Planning a trip to NT by tinker
[May 01, 2024, 04:44:04 PM]