collapse

Author Topic: Jarvi/Facetron Owners-please take note  (Read 8199 times)

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
Jarvi/Facetron Owners-please take note
« on: August 06, 2022, 12:25:39 PM »
EDIT for UPDATEI just read in another thread that Jarvi has passed the baton over to Wyatt and Wayne Yeager... so machines and parts are now continuing.Thanks Bucket and Leah for this info. Great news for the many many Facetron users Aust has.(I'll also make a new post with this same info at the end in case someone who has read this thread, will see the updated info as well)

While playing catch ups I stumbled across a post on GO informing members that Jarvi was to officially be out of business by the end of June 2022...so already happened.They will for now still be carrying out repairs while they still have leftover stock and the blueprints for the machine have been sold.So I guess if you need dops/spare parts etc or machine specific parts, buy yourself an early Christmas present.
A brief thread on it can be read here or maybe you have your own questions.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 05:50:40 PM by mehoose »
Keep em comin!!!

RoughCreations

• Administrator
  • ALF'er Platinum
    • Rough Creations homepage
Re: Jarvi/Facetron Owners-please take note
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 06:02:39 PM »
Yikes, will have to see if I can track down a Facetron 80 Index gear I have always been meaning to buy.
RC
Rough Creations - Beauty from rough beginnings

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 06:46:44 PM »
RC, contact Jarvi directly. I see they're still advertising entire machines(probably while stocks last) and they did say they'll have spare parts for awhile.
Keep em comin!!!

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 02:03:59 PM »
Good luck trying to contact them RC, I tried for nearly three months earlier this year and go zero response from them, that includes phone, website and email. I gave up in the end and have resorted to getting the part repaired elsewhere. I must admit, it wasn't just Jarvi, I tried the actual manufacturer of the part I needed (a separate supplier) and a couple of other web based Facetron parts suppliers, none of them bothered to respond. I did get success with Gem Hunters Haven who have sourced someone that can repair the part I need, just waiting on electronics to do so now.
Common sense isn't exactly common

RoughCreations

• Administrator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 08:37:08 PM »
Good luck trying to contact them RC, I tried for nearly three months earlier this year and go zero response from them, that includes phone, website and email. I gave up in the end and have resorted to getting the part repaired elsewhere. I must admit, it wasn't just Jarvi, I tried the actual manufacturer of the part I needed (a separate supplier) and a couple of other web based Facetron parts suppliers, none of them bothered to respond. I did get success with Gem Hunters Haven who have sourced someone that can repair the part I need, just waiting on electronics to do so now.
Thanks for that, sigh. :(

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 08:11:00 AM »
RC, contact Jarvi directly. I see they're still advertising entire machines(probably while stocks last) and they did say they'll have spare parts for awhile.

It is my understanding that the Jarvi's are in the process of retiring completely and are not making any more machines.  While they have made noises to a select few that they will keep supplying parts, apparently that does not extend beyond the US borders as they have refused to supply anything to their international customers for some years now.  We gave over our dealership to Brett at Gemhunters some years ago now when we were unhappy with the service we were NOT getting from them and he was more focused in faceting machines anyway so it was a better fit for him.  Unfortunately, it went completely pear shaped from that point on - they never did him the courtesy of explaining, just ghosted him which is pretty ordinary behaviour in my opinion.

A good machine - disappointing lack of support from the manufacturer when we had put a lot of effort into the brand.

But for motor problems, Brett does have some useful info that can help so contact him where needed.

Cheers
Leah
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

RoughCreations

• Administrator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 10:59:26 AM »
Thanks for the update Leah. The main components of the Facetron seem pretty reliable and should last long enough. The motors and speed controller are a potential weak spot on the Australian models. I have changed the bearings on my motor, pretty straight forward, and have the parts to convert to a 12V motor and after-market speed controller when I am ready, discussed in detail in old threads. At least the electronics aspect of the machines can be fixed/modified fairly readily, independent of Jarvi/Facetron.
RC

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2022, 11:28:35 AM »

It is my understanding that the Jarvi's are in the process of retiring completely and are not making any more machines.  While they have made noises to a select few that they will keep supplying parts, apparently that does not extend beyond the US borders as they have refused to supply anything to their international customers for some years now.  We gave over our dealership to Brett at Gemhunters some years ago now when we were unhappy with the service we were NOT getting from them and he was more focused in faceting machines anyway so it was a better fit for him.  Unfortunately, it went completely pear shaped from that point on - they never did him the courtesy of explaining, just ghosted him which is pretty ordinary behaviour in my opinion.

A good machine - disappointing lack of support from the manufacturer when we had put a lot of effort into the brand.

But for motor problems, Brett does have some useful info that can help so contact him where needed.

Cheers
Leah

Well that's damn disappointing! From what I've seen around gem clubs, shows and read online, they've had a huge loyal following among facetors(ers?) in Australia. Some proudly declaring their machine is over 20 years old and still going strong.
Keep em comin!!!

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2022, 11:37:19 AM »
Well I'm up to my usual snooping ....ok RC, I found some indexes for you and I'm guessing it's current...Contact Gem World in the US. Page is here.
now it's a bit of an odd site, use the left bar, click on Equipment, then click on Faceting machines and at the bottom of that crumb is the link for Facetron accessories and parts.Do scroll to the bottom for payment info and note the 4% you'll need to add for ppal.  ;) annnd an email link if you want to chat first.
okay, hope that is of some help.  :-\

aha and try the Rockpeddler here. These guys might be a bit more up to date.eta..okay, you might need to sweet talk the rockpeddler or you've purchased from them before..or... you know someone else who has who could buy one on your behalf. Le sigh...just read their latest info under terms.  ::)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 12:29:37 PM by mehoose »
Keep em comin!!!

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2022, 12:17:49 PM »
Well I'm up to my usual snooping ....ok RC, I found some indexes for you and I'm guessing it's current...Contact Gem World in the US. Page is here.
now it's a bit of an odd site, use the left bar, click on Equipment, then click on Faceting machines and at the bottom of that crumb is the link for Facetron accessories and parts.Do scroll to the bottom for payment info and note the 4% you'll need to add for ppal.  ;) annnd an email link if you want to chat first.
Could go a set of 4 72, 80, 84, 120

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2022, 12:27:44 PM »

Yes, sets would help balance out postage costs.
Keep em comin!!!

RoughCreations

• Administrator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2022, 12:28:10 PM »
Thanks for that Mehoose, found them. Yes, it is certainly an odd site! Reminds me of certain websites created in the 1990's, lol. I bet Jack has a messy desk too, but can still find things if no-one moves them.

RoughCreations

• Administrator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2022, 12:29:58 PM »
Yeah, I saw that. Tempting..

RoughCreations

• Administrator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2022, 12:38:18 PM »
aha and try the Rockpeddler here. These guys might be a bit more up to date.eta..okay, you might need to sweet talk the rockpeddler or you've purchased from them before..or... you know someone else who has who could buy one on your behalf. Le sigh...just read their latest info under terms.  ::)
I have purchased some Jeff Graham faceting designs collections from Rock Peddler before, a few years back, with very good service to Tasmania Australia.
Now that I have the superior Andrew Brown faceting designs available locally - I'm set, lol.

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2022, 01:08:18 PM »
I have purchased some Jeff Graham faceting designs collections from Rock Peddler before, a few years back, with very good service to Tasmania Australia.
Now that I have the superior Andrew Brown faceting designs available locally - I'm set, lol.

Oh that's perfect then if you went through them. They're only dealing with OS customers that they've dealt with before.

Hahaa, yes. DD found Andrew's designs while she was chatting on the phone with me about which machine she should get.
I sang his praises so no doubt she'll purchase them when she gets back into things.

I'm actually relieved there's a couple of you down that end if DD has to say 'help!' at any point.
Keep em comin!!!

Recent Activities

Victorian Sapphires by Alaskan
[Today at 09:14:05 PM]

The Next Big Trip by Jimnyjerry
[Today at 06:56:45 PM]

Flinders Island 2024 by Jimnyjerry
[Today at 06:53:36 PM]

Tomahawk creek by MakkyBrown
[Today at 11:11:53 AM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by Alaskan
[Today at 11:10:32 AM]

Green tourmaline set in a cast 10Kt yellow gold ring by RoughCreations
[May 16, 2024, 01:27:37 PM]

How to figure platform height for the handpiece, while reading diagrams by Faceting Frank
[May 16, 2024, 10:41:17 AM]

Vale Woofa by MrSydney
[May 07, 2024, 10:12:47 AM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[May 05, 2024, 04:52:12 PM]

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by Clarky
[May 04, 2024, 10:19:48 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[May 02, 2024, 03:20:57 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Jimnyjerry
[May 01, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

Planning a trip to NT by tinker