Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Fossicking Locations / Re: Victorian Sapphires
« Last post by swirly on Today at 03:50:32 AM »
around 3mm.
« Last post by Alaskan on May 18, 2024, 09:14:05 PM »
What do you consider a 'cutable' size? Been wondering at what dimension to draw the line... a dop size that won't bend? Just curious as I have little experience in selecting material.

Swirly mentioned cutting size.
Trip Talk / Re: The Next Big Trip
« Last post by Jimnyjerry on May 18, 2024, 06:56:45 PM »
That will be a interesting trip Barry. I am just hoping to get back to Agate Ck next year as it will be 4 years since I last could visit.  Seems the grass has been really growing well this season.
Trip Talk / Re: Flinders Island 2024
« Last post by Jimnyjerry on May 18, 2024, 06:53:36 PM »
glad you enjoyed your visit down there and good to hear of the conditions of the islands fossicking locations  :)

« Last post by Manficat on May 18, 2024, 05:24:26 PM »
Ah, I see. I'll try Dollys creek and that other area again. I presume any section of Dolly's creek is fine, right?
Trip Talk / Flinders Island 2024
« Last post by MakkyBrown on May 18, 2024, 12:34:23 PM »
I just spent a few weeks on Flinders Island. Lots of walking, taking photos and digging topaz. Since visiting about 10 years ago it has become really hard to find topaz around the Diamond Gully area. When digging ground I where found topaz last trip, it appears, the sea replenishes it a bit. But it has been turned over so many time by fossickers the topaz in the area is getting increasingly scarce. The photos below are a results of a fair bit of effort at really low tides/calm sea. I ran out of ideas on where I could dig.  Much of the topaz I found came from digging an area missed by precious fossickers where the topaz was sort of enbeded in decomposing granite. Water as about waist deep. I spent a lot of time looking but really struggled to find anywhere else good to dig. Sieving the gravels near the diamond gully granite gravel beach would still yield a few but it represent little return for the effort.
I had a look around the Tanners Creek mine site. It still yields small topaz especially down stream from the mine site, but most are really small and go though a 1/4inch sieve.I'm am still really happy with my finds as there a quite a number of peachy/pink ones, a party very light blue/pink, and some nice blues. One green what probably won't cut. Even if you don't find any topaz it is still such a beautiful place around Mt Killicrankie, Stackies Bight, Old man Head, The Docks. If visiting I recommenced going for a walk up Mt Killicrankie as it is a really good track from the car park above The Docks. Compared to Mt Strzelecki it is a really easy walk with awesome views from so many points along the trail, not just the summit. Mt Strzelecki was really hard and do not believe the recommended times unless you are really fit and not taking photos along the way. Biggest stone was 85ct, the peachy pink one pictured 45ct. CheersMB

Fossicking Locations / Re: Tomahawk creek
« Last post by MakkyBrown on May 18, 2024, 11:11:53 AM »
If your only going for a few days I'd just go to the Feather Bed run and jump in an existing hole.

MB
Gemcad Discussions / Re: Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough
« Last post by Alaskan on May 18, 2024, 11:10:32 AM »
Thanks MB it's summer here and warm enough to be faceting in my shed/workshop - next Fall when the 100 mph winds and freezing cold arrives I'll look deeper into it - I have Tom Herbst books and found them challenging - a lifetime of knowledge isn't easy to consume.

I'm dog-paddling - learning by doing.
Gemcad Discussions / Re: Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough
« Last post by MakkyBrown on May 18, 2024, 10:56:55 AM »
Yes the Patriot 8 has a digital readout to a tenth and I use the dial indicator to get closer to Andrew Brown's design digital hundredths... ~12 dial indicator tenths are tripping both ends of the digital tenths readout.

You are AB got it! 🤦‍♂️
The optical encoder on your machine could easily be swapped out for a 5000cpr one giving 0.018degree angles steps.(you may only need a new code wheel and reader). BUT you would also need to make a new screen/control box to display the angles. I would only recommend doing this if you had an electronics background. Inspired by Tom Herbst book a few of us on here have fitted encoders to our machines and refined Tom's design/code at bit. The hardest part for me was figuring out how to mount the encoder and your machine already has one mounted on it. It can also be hard to learn to program in the Arduino environment and make changes to the existing code to suit your machine/new screen.

MB
« Last post by Bucket on May 18, 2024, 09:58:36 AM »
That's a first for me! I originally came from Dandenong and lived not far from the Dandenong Creek. I couldn't imagine anything coming out of there, no gravel beds that I can remember and from Clow Street bridge downstream, is all concrete drains down to the bay. If, however, you mean The Dandenongs, then yes, there are sapphires, generally small ones and the places I fossicked are now National Park, underwater or on private property.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal