collapse

Linked Events

• Minerama: March 09, 2012 - March 11, 2012

Author Topic: Minerama  (Read 47717 times)

Capt. Mendoza

• ALF'er VIP
  • Arrg...Where's me buried treasure!
    • Jewellery Pirate
Re: Minerama
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2012, 03:10:21 PM »
Definitely somewhere quality topaz can be found in cuttable sizes would be good...
8)  www.JewelleryPirate.com.au/blog - The Jewellery Pirate's fossicking adventures...

dom105

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2012, 06:46:10 PM »
I'm with you Cap't.

fossickeract

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2012, 07:10:39 PM »
  That makes 3 votes for that but why are we waiting for next year ???
                                                                beers Ted
Life isn't a rehearsal.

dom105

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2012, 11:27:22 PM »
We're not Ted, but it will involve extra curricular activities, which I am at present trying to organise.
Claude

fossickeract

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2012, 11:45:09 PM »
         "it will involve extra curricular activities"
   He He, now wouldn't want to compromise me reputation Claude  ;D, but reckon Muddy and I will head out to Scrubby Gulley on Wed or Thur before the official weekend, to fossick for topaz ;) , never been before but got trusty mudmap. Of course always better to get lost as a group. If yu get a knowlegible guide would appreciate being able to tag along.                        beers Ted   
Life isn't a rehearsal.

Lord_Thunda

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2012, 12:18:53 AM »
This yrs trips are already set up. I want places & things ppl wish to find so I can show the difference between what was given this yr & what ppl want. I only joined the committee cos I was pissed about ONLY having 2 days of trips. It has slowly been reduced over the yrs until it maybe had no trips but a weekend of tailgaters.

There are no trips outside the Glen Innes area. This leaves Inverell & Torringtom & Emmaville with virtually no ppl visiting. There really is no reason why trips to these places cant be included next yr 2013 even tho they seem to have only 3 days again on the website. I will be asking why it isnt being increased to 4 or 5 days of trips. If they use the excuse of "not having enuf team leaders" that cant be true cos they can still have 6 trips each day so obviously they need a team leader for all those. Someone made a valid point of why team leaders werent being asked for in the forum. How many would be interested in being team leaders for next year who are first aid qualified?

I will be  asking  around this year to see what ppl want & where they'd like to go to. It is important the Minerama committee understands the needs of fossickers. Interesting to note also that since I brought up the point of wanting to visit every site to make sure stones can be found that a number of the committee wanted to go too. Does this mean they haven't actually been fossicking before? ???

norm

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2012, 11:43:35 PM »
Have the list of field trip locations but cant find any info on whats available at each site ????

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

mg

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2012, 08:09:29 AM »
We have been to Scubby Gully a few times this summer and  are capable of getting a group of like minded individuals lost. Intend to go pre and post Minerama.

Lord_Thunda

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2012, 01:07:44 PM »
Had an interesting conversation on Sat about tailgaters. It seems many had left a number of years ago due to "politics". Next year, 2013, I propose to increase tailgater numbers. If Lismore can get 200 then why cant Minerama? Its a WIN/WIN situation for all. Dealers, visitors & tailgaters as well as every other business in the area will profit.

I also want to have 7 days of trips next year. I am going for the Glen Innes, Torrington, Inverell triangle so plenty of places & things to find. I am looking at 3-4 trips / day. If this can be brought in, would it bring more ppl or is it a waste of time & effort?

I dont want Minerama to die as it has been slowly over the past few years but have 2013 as a benchmark to what it can become & make improvements every year after. It is only thru input from us all this can improve.

Bob  beers

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2012, 02:17:44 PM »
Hi Bob,

I can't guarantee that I'd be there owing to work getting in the way, but if I was going to go I would expect a good choice of field trips given the area.  I've been following this post with interest as I love the New England area and will certainly be spending more time there when I can in the not to distant future.

If I was attending Minerama, I would also expect plenty of dealers and tailgaters.  Having never been up there for this 'festival' and having missed Gemfest in CQG last August by days (poor planing on my behalf), I would hope that both are still going strong when I do get the time to get away.  These festivals are what keeps interest in the hobby alive and I would expect that this interest both through visitors and the organisers should be encouraged on all levels. 

It sounds to me that you're on a winner by wanting to increase the number and frequency of trips and to try and entice more tailgaters.

Garry
Common sense isn't exactly common

fossickeract

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2012, 02:32:19 PM »
Hi Mg,
      Will see if we can meet up pre minerama so we can tag along to Scrubby creek and get lost together and yu should have some faceted garnets to show off. And Bob you should be encouraged in yu efforts. Travelling a fair distance means a week is much more worthwhile and the more trips the better.
                                                                   beers Ted
Life isn't a rehearsal.

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2012, 03:08:05 PM »
I think more field trips would definitely bring more people but it is challenging without a good field trip organiser.  If you can take on this role Bob, that would be great.  

Obviously the need for a qualified first aider on each trip is a big hoop to jump through - I know it is a rule that council have put there but is overkill in my opinion given that every participant signs a disclaimer.  A few visitors have helped out with trips when we've been stuck but I think it is a bit rich to make it even more difficult for them when they only do it help out.  Not an argument you are going to win with council unfortunately but it is this type of red tape that makes field trips even more difficult to organise than it needs to be.  The local Gem Club have usually provided a couple of field trip leaders but it seems they do not have a lot of members who can help so asking for extra days may be difficult for them - hopefully they can rise to the challenge.

The other problem is to get landholders to volunteer a site - this usually takes a personal approach but I think would help if some kind of advertising campaign could be run in the planning phase to get the message out that landholders can help a local event and make some handy income with all insurance liability covered.  It has been hard to get this across in the past.

I totally agree more tailgaters are essential to keep the show vibrant and growing.  Keep in mind that the actual traders often do NOT agree - quite a number of them think there is one "bucket of money" available at a show and are reluctant to see that shared among a lot of newcomers.  I disagree because more customers are likely to come if there are new things to see and buy but I know quite a few of the established traders do not agree.  So expansion of traders may not necessarily be welcome among all existing traders but I am sure would be among visitors and after all, that is what it is all about.

Not aware of what "politics" they might be talking about but certainly there were some challenges while Woolworths was being built with the old site becoming unavailable and it taking just a couple of years to get the new site working well.  I feel now with traders allowed on to the oval that it works well and allows for expansion.  However, there were some "unhappy campers" there for a couple of years.  

One other little issue with tailgaters was that they were used to having access to the showers in the RSL Club at no charge - the club removed that facility a few years ago and many camping tailgaters were unhappy about this.  Nothing the Minerama committee could do about it as it was a club decision but it did upset a few people.  Not sure how you would fix this though in the current location.

Additionally, we had a potential clash with North Brisbane one year which caused some confusion among visitors and a bit of hassle for the Armidale show - I could say a lot about who to blame for that one but probably should not - ultimately we just had to make the best of a bad situation (my memory is long though).

So basically there is a bit of history.  Good luck to the current committee - it is a bit of a thankless job but really important for the local community so hopefully everyone can get behind them and help as much as possible.  We have not been involved for a while now but know how difficult it is to keep everyone happy (basically impossible) so you really just have to do the best you can - any improvement will be applauded by visitors so good luck with the plans.

cheers
Leah
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2012, 04:57:33 PM »
Hi Mg,
      Will see if we can meet up pre minerama so we can tag along to Scrubby creek and get lost together and yu should have some faceted garnets to show off. And Bob you should be encouraged in yu efforts. Travelling a fair distance means a week is much more worthwhile and the more trips the better.
                                                                   beers Ted
I can always lead you all astray on the way to Scrubby ;D ;)

Keep pushing the committee to expand again Bob. beers beers
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

fossickeract

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2012, 07:33:06 PM »
 Hi Jerry.
     That would be great if yu around pre Minerama. Always best to get lost with an experienced Pro ;D. We will be at Fossickers from Tue arvo and no doubt haven Steak and Chips with a glass of red at the RSL Tue night all very civilised.
                                                                          beers Ted
Life isn't a rehearsal.

Recent Activities

Victorian Sapphires by Manficat
[May 13, 2024, 06:50:09 PM]

Vale Woofa by MrSydney
[May 07, 2024, 10:12:47 AM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[May 05, 2024, 04:52:12 PM]

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by Clarky
[May 04, 2024, 10:19:48 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[May 02, 2024, 03:20:57 PM]