collapse

Author Topic: Gyroc B Short Term Shortage  (Read 12566 times)

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
Gyroc B Short Term Shortage
« on: February 12, 2014, 05:41:49 PM »

Just a heads up that the Gyroc Factory cannot supply any Model B Tumblers out of the USA for some time due to a component Supply problem that they will sort but may take months hotthirsty
 We had a extra 75 model B Gyrocs ordered to ship this week in a container but they can only supply a handful if lucky :'(

Luckily we still have just over 50 in stock along with plenty of spares but other suppliers that dont keep much stock may run out soon.
 50 machines wont last us long so if you need buy up now,this will be sorted but at best looking at three months before new stock arrives downunder :o
Andrew

Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

shaman57

• ALF'er Silver Member
  • Rock collection
Re: Gyroc B Short Term Shortage
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 12:37:14 AM »
i need one these vibrating tumblers..do you have any left..please reply asap
shaman57

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 08:11:12 AM »
i need one these vibrating tumblers..do you have any left..please reply asap

Yes - we still have stock but not sure where we will be going with Gyroc's into the future.

The problem referred to in February has been managed after a fashion by the manufacturer but we are not  happy with the solution. 
 We are working with Gyroc to get this resolved correctly and hope that will happen.

shaman57

• ALF'er Silver Member
  • Rock collection
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 12:07:57 AM »
If you are not happy with gyroc ..what would you recommend in a vibrating tumbler of the same capacity.. and can piggy back work ???..Also need some tips on how much water an grit to use in a vibrating tumbler..
shaman57

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 11:10:02 AM »
If you are not happy with gyroc ..what would you recommend in a vibrating tumbler of the same capacity.. and can piggy back work ???..Also need some tips on how much water an grit to use in a vibrating tumbler..

The Gyroc B is the only one that can piggyback.  It's not that we are not happy with the current stock of the Model B as it has been a proven performer for small capacity tumbling for many years (most ideal for small quantities).

From what we are told by the manufacturer, Fasco has increased the cost of the particular 240V motor on the Model B only - the factory has already raised the 240V price by around 30%/40% making them a lot more expensive.  The factory is now fitting a different 240V motor that should have been okay but when we bought a few of these to test ourselves to be sure, the new motors were failing very quickly so at this point, we will not be buying more stock.   

We still have quite a lot of Model B's (with older reliable motor) in stock and plenty of spare parts but the manufacturer has dropped the ball at this stage so until we can receive a new model that works for price and reliability, the old stock is all we have.   

Re correct water level - when using ANY type of vibratory tumbler, you need to use a very small amount of water - likely to be much less than you think.  Pretty much just enough moisture to keep the load rotating smoothly in the bowl so tip off any excess standing water. If there is too much water, this damps the tumbling action significantly and washes the grit off the rocks so everything is vibrating but nothing is actually working effectively. Too little moisture and the load will stop rotating.  There is a pretty fine line between too much and too little water so it does need far more frequent checking compared to a rotary tumbler but you do get results much faster and you use much less grit.  We recommend around 1/2 tablespoon of grit per kilo of rock (compared to about 3 to 5 tablespoons per kilo in a rotary) - use a little less than this for polish stages. You may even be able to use less than this - you are aiming for a good slurry coating all the rocks and the vibratory action to grind the rocks against each other so just enough grit and water to coat the rocks well.  About 10 minutes before finishing a stage, just add more water (about half a cup in a model B) to help loosen the slurry or "mud" on the rocks - helps when you are rinsing and cleaning everything.

Hope this helps.

cheers
Andrew and Leah

shaman57

• ALF'er Silver Member
  • Rock collection
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 02:36:34 PM »
Thank you for your helpful hints..I forgot to ask you about grinding rocks from rough --right to to polish..
Can this be done in a vibrating tumbler..or i better off heavy grinding in a barrel first and then polish in the other..also if any one needs in good quality chrysoprase or jasper i have a good supply in stock..or if you are looking for some rock ..may be i have these also..i frequently go up north west Australia--N.T -
Out back Q.L.D..Any inquiries must go through you first,to moderate..

Thanks Again for your help

Robert
shaman57

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 02:58:41 PM »
Normally we do not recommend using coarse grit in these type of tumblers - normally suggest #220 as first stage if you need to do the whole process.

Some people do use coarse grit in them but it wears out the bowls quickly so not a good idea unless you are prepared to replace bowls often.  The solid rubber barrels of the rotary tumblers are a LOT tougher against the coarse stage grinding grits.

So commonly people will do the coarse grind in a rotary tumbler, sort the rocks and then move to vibe tumbler at 2nd or 3rd stage.

cheers
Leah

shaman57

• ALF'er Silver Member
  • Rock collection
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 03:24:54 PM »
Thank you for your advice and information

I did think the type of rock i want to tumble , would have to go through a rotary first..you have confirmed my thoughts..Will keep you informed .. because i am new on this forum.. am i allowed to post photos of my stock of rocks and the projects i am working on??
shaman57

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 03:30:51 PM »
Yes - no problem.

I think you need one more post to get past the limit for automatic approval to the Media Gallery but you can post them now and a mod will tick them off very quickly.

Highly recommend adding photos via the media gallery rather than as attachments to a message - this is better all round for a whole bunch of reasons.  Use the BBC embed code to add a thumbnail to your message.

Be mindful not to go over board with selling messages only but we have lots of members keen to source this type of material so feel free to post this type of thing in the For Sale board.  Members are always keen to see photos of projects - post in any relevant board on these.

cheers
Leah

shaman57

• ALF'er Silver Member
  • Rock collection
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 03:43:47 PM »
Thanks once more for your time an valuable advice..

I will take some photos and try to work out how to post them..there will only ever be a single sale post..members can contact me ..once they see what i have plus what i can supply
shaman57

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 03:55:01 PM »
No worries.

Instructions on how to add photos to the gallery are here:

http://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=3316.0

It is easy so give it a go.  If you have trouble, just message me.

cheers
Leah

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 03:01:08 PM »
Just a quick update on this situation.

Although we did notify the manufacturer (TAGIT) some time ago that the new motors were not suitable for the Australian power supply, apparently they have chosen to do nothing about this.

We have been getting quite a number of queries recently from people who have purchased the 220V version from overseas suppliers only to find that they are fitted with motors that do not work - even more disappointing, those suppliers appear to be unwilling to honour any kind of warranty and these people are now left high and dry with a tumbler that will only operate for 10 minutes at a time.  Obviously this is always a risk when buying overseas - if you buy from an Australian dealer, you are protected by our local consumer protection laws.  Maybe worth thinking about when comparing prices.  If you are considering purchasing from any another supplier, then we strongly recommend you check what motor is fitted to ensure that it will work correctly.

Due to these large number of queries, we have done some research into the problem and have now found a motor that will fit the Gyroc B if you need to replace the original motor for any reason.

Our current stock of tumblers are fitted with the older motor that does work - we do not plan to restock once these are sold unless the manufacturer resolves the motor problem.  However, Gyroc B's listed online now can be purchased from us (Aussie Sapphire) with confidence and will be covered by our normal warranty. 

If you need a motor to repair a tumbler that is not working, then use this link:
http://www.aussiesapphire.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=89_139&products_id=3622

cheers
Leah

FlashGP

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 07:33:44 PM »
Dear Leah,

I have a Gyroc B purchased about 3 yrs ago in Brisbane.  The springs are a bit thin and keep breaking.  Do you know if they have sourced more robust springs?  The old Gyroc B at our Lapidary club has heavier springs that lasted for years.
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 12:51:34 PM »
Hi,

we have some different type of springs (they are actually not a coil spring) that you can use if you have trouble with springs breaking repeatedly.

They were designed for running very light loads where the bowl is full but not very heavy - in these situations, the original springs can be prone to breakage.  However, if you are having trouble with springs anyway (even with a load of rock), these can help.

They are actually not listed but send an email and we can help you out.

cheers
Leah

FlashGP

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 06:43:11 PM »
Thanks Leah.

I'm actually running 2kg of polished shot plus the jewellery I am polishing. 

Regards
 Gordon
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

Recent Activities

Victorian Sapphires by RoughCreations
[Today at 10:51:40 AM]

Tomahawk creek by MakkyBrown
[May 19, 2024, 11:49:07 AM]

The Next Big Trip by Jimnyjerry
[May 18, 2024, 06:56:45 PM]

Flinders Island 2024 by Jimnyjerry
[May 18, 2024, 06:53:36 PM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by Alaskan
[May 18, 2024, 11:10:32 AM]

Green tourmaline set in a cast 10Kt yellow gold ring by RoughCreations
[May 16, 2024, 01:27:37 PM]

How to figure platform height for the handpiece, while reading diagrams by Faceting Frank
[May 16, 2024, 10:41:17 AM]

Vale Woofa by MrSydney
[May 07, 2024, 10:12:47 AM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[May 05, 2024, 04:52:12 PM]

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by Clarky
[May 04, 2024, 10:19:48 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[May 02, 2024, 03:20:57 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Jimnyjerry
[May 01, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

Planning a trip to NT by tinker