collapse

Author Topic: step down transformer for tumbler  (Read 4680 times)

faodail

• ALF'er Bronze Member
step down transformer for tumbler
« on: February 03, 2018, 06:06:25 PM »
Hello

I have a MT-4SV Mini-Sonic Vibratory (4 pound capacity) which I got cheaply from Oz.  THEN, realised that it is 110v.   :-[

I didn't even think to look at the voltage given that I bought it here. Well its do

I have a step down transformer that we use for other US voltage things- I think it is the kind that can run 24/7.

So, my question is.... can I run the Mini-Sonic off it?

I intend to also buy an entry level an entry level Lortone of about the same capacity and intend to use the Mini Sonic mostly for polishing and maybe for the softer stones.

Anyone else been in the same situation and ran a tumbler with a step up or down transformer?

Thanks

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
Re: step down transformer for tumbler
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 09:08:25 AM »
First, welcome to the forum. I'm pretty sure that if your tumbler is rated at 110 volt then a transformer that is also rated to 110 volt should be ok with it. If you didn't already have the transformer then that's what I would have suggested you look for to fix the issue.
Common sense isn't exactly common

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 09:20:57 AM »
I have a step down transformer that we use for other US voltage things- I think it is the kind that can run 24/7.

Yes - tumblers will run continuously for some weeks (bit less for a vibe compared to rotary but still a few) so as long as your transformer is ok with that, then the tumbler will work off a step-down.

It is a trap for the unwary - just needs a bit extra gear but if you already have a transformer then you are sorted.

cheers
Leah
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

Rusted

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 09:55:57 AM »
It depends on the power drain of the Minisonic, somewhere on the label it should say how many Watts, (or maybe horsepower) your stepdown transformer should be able to handle that power constantly. Plug it in and give it a run while you are there to supervise it, if the transformer gets really horribly melty hot then you will need something beefier. Just warm should be OK.

faodail

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 02:01:28 PM »
Thanks all for your advice!

The ad didn't really say 110V but it was a clear as anything on the photo, so 100% my own fault.  Just for some reason I wouldn't have expected a 110V being sold in Oz- but there you go.  I bought it using my phone so maybe next time...

Thanks for the tip- I will go and have a look at the wattage when it arrives.

I bought at small Lortone 45C to do all the early work and will use the mini sonic for finishing and softer stuff  (I hope)

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 09:14:17 AM »
It depends on where it's built and the target market. For example, Facetron faceting machines are built in the USA and are sold here with a transformer. It works like it was made here!

faodail

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 08:29:31 PM »
Bucket- that is interesting.  I will go and have a looksee at them, you never know I could find nice gem quality things and one day want to make something nice (unlikely but a girl can dream).

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 05:09:39 PM »
Look no further than Aussie Sapphire! They are the suppliers of Facetron here. I would suggest you perhaps look at your local lapidary club if you can and see if they have a faceting machine to have a go on before you purchase one. Good machines aren't cheap and I'd hate to see someone buy one and then find out they don't like faceting! There are a number of brands available in Australia, after weighing up the pros and cons of each, I bought a Facetron and have found it very good. The size and ease of use sold me on it. Do your homework though!

faodail

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 07:51:41 PM »
Interesting......my MT-4SV Mini-Sonic Vibratory arrived today. 
I have put off getting the step down transformer til I set eyes on the wattage.  So I open the box and find and Australian plug (how curious).  Fossicked around in the box for some sort of transformer and noticed a 240V sticker on it. 

Problem solved.

Can't wait to give it a go.

Cheers

Recent Activities

Victorian Sapphires by RoughCreations
[Today at 10:51:40 AM]

Tomahawk creek by MakkyBrown
[May 19, 2024, 11:49:07 AM]

The Next Big Trip by Jimnyjerry
[May 18, 2024, 06:56:45 PM]

Flinders Island 2024 by Jimnyjerry
[May 18, 2024, 06:53:36 PM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by Alaskan
[May 18, 2024, 11:10:32 AM]

Green tourmaline set in a cast 10Kt yellow gold ring by RoughCreations
[May 16, 2024, 01:27:37 PM]

How to figure platform height for the handpiece, while reading diagrams by Faceting Frank
[May 16, 2024, 10:41:17 AM]

Vale Woofa by MrSydney
[May 07, 2024, 10:12:47 AM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[May 05, 2024, 04:52:12 PM]

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by Clarky
[May 04, 2024, 10:19:48 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[May 02, 2024, 03:20:57 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Jimnyjerry
[May 01, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

Planning a trip to NT by tinker