LAPIDARY > Show us your latest finished product

ALF Cutting Competition #1

(1/5) > >>

Aussie Sapphire:
Welcome to the First Cutting Competition for ALF.
Competition closes 21st June 2015.

Entries will be a cabochon cut stone showing any type of gemstone phenomena - this could be a star or cat's eye, different types of play of colour or shiller (opal, moonstone, sunstone, etc), colour changes, etc so you have lots of options out there.

Please add a photo of the original rough and the finished product to this gallery and add a thumbnail (medium) to this thread here so people can vote for the "people choice" winner later on.  This thread will be pinned while the competition is running.

We will have two winners - one will be a vote (will add the poll later when there are some entries to vote on) and one will be chosen at random from among the entries.  Both winners will receive a $50 gift voucher to spend on anything at Aussie Sapphire.  Winners will announced after Competition #1 closes 21/6/15.

Everyone is encouraged to enter so spread the word far and wide - you do not need to be a master cutter to enter this competition.  One entrant will be chosen at random so as Talking 'Bout Your Generation's Sean Micallef would say "anyone can win".

GOOD LUCK !!

Competition Gallery:   http://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;cat=85

Jamo:
planning! thinking! strategising ... oh, and I guess I will polish something too! 8)

MakkyBrown:

--- Quote from: Jamo on May 23, 2015, 04:54:27 PM ---planning! thinking! strategising ... oh, and I guess I will polish something too! 8)

--- End quote ---

Goodluck Jamo :)
This comp is a bit tricky for me to find rough for. I don't buy rocks so only have what I've found. So it's down to going through all my tiny sapphires looking for a star, or a bit of moonstone from Moonstone Hill that has a small flash of color in it.

Aussie Sapphire:

--- Quote ---This comp is a bit tricky for me to find rough for. I don't buy rocks so only have what I've found. So it's down to going through all my tiny sapphires looking for a star, or a bit of moonstone from Moonstone Hill that has a small flash of color in it.

--- End quote ---

That is a pity considering who the suggestion came from - thought I had come up with a challenge that was reasonably broad.  Can include anything with interesting crystal growth pattern such as chevron amethyst, trapiche sapphire or the like if that helps open it up a bit more.

cheers
Leah

MakkyBrown:

--- Quote from: Aussie Sapphire on May 24, 2015, 09:10:45 AM ---
--- Quote ---This comp is a bit tricky for me to find rough for. I don't buy rocks so only have what I've found. So it's down to going through all my tiny sapphires looking for a star, or a bit of moonstone from Moonstone Hill that has a small flash of color in it.

--- End quote ---

That is a pity considering who the suggestion came from - thought I had come up with a challenge that was reasonably broad.  Can include anything with interesting crystal growth pattern such as chevron amethyst, trapiche sapphire or the like if that helps open it up a bit more.

cheers
Leah

--- End quote ---
:), yes I've got some amethyst with chevrons, should hopefully be able to find a nice bit to cab ;D,  I was also thinking about shadow effect in agate but very hard to photograph end result.

Cheers
Andrew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version