LAPIDARY > Tumblers and Media

Skin polishing Sapphires in tumbler

(1/1)

hithwentinuviel:
Hi. I have a bulk amount of rough sapphires that are about 2mm-7mm in size. I am wanting to just skin polish them so when kids are fossicking for them at my gem show, they sparkle. What would be needed grit wise in a tumbler to just skin polish and not eat away too much of the stone. ??? Or would just running them in the tumbler with a bit of water help polish them. ???

Aussie Sapphire:

--- Quote from: hithwentinuviel on January 21, 2019, 02:05:51 PM ---Hi. I have a bulk amount of rough sapphires that are about 2mm-7mm in size. I am wanting to just skin polish them so when kids are fossicking for them at my gem show, they sparkle. What would be needed grit wise in a tumbler to just skin polish and not eat away too much of the stone. ???
--- End quote ---

You will need diamond grit - this is expensive and will take a long time.

Aussie Sapphire:

--- Quote --- Or would just running them in the tumbler with a bit of water help polish them. ???

--- End quote ---

NO - it wont really do anything. 

We get asked about this a lot and I usually try and talk people out of it.  We can supply tumbling grade diamond in a very small bowl (preferably vibe tumbler) but it not an easy thing - we dont really recommend trying.

cheers
Leah

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version