collapse

Author Topic: Divining Gemstones  (Read 21360 times)

moonshadow_dancer

• ALF'er VIP
  • Gems are like Rainbows...becoming rarer!!!
Divining Gemstones
« on: August 22, 2009, 04:15:40 PM »
Hi All,

Thought I would start a topic on this interesting subject.

Last night on the channel 10 news I seen an oldtimer Divining for Gem bearing wash. His divining rods were about a foot long not including the bent handles, he showed how he done it by walking along with them help out horizontal and when he come to the wash the rods would cross over each other. I didn't hear what he was saying as I was on the phone at the time.

If anyone would like to add any info or tips, please do so as we would all love to read about this unique way of finding wash.

Take Care all,
Deb beers
Ron and I have an Appointment to do some Laps ;) ;D

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
Re: Divining Gemstones
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 04:32:24 PM »
I didnt see that article but it sounds like the method Andrew uses.

He holds them fairly loosely in the hands so they can move relatively freely.  In contrast, my father who claims to be able to divine water for bores, etc holds his wires (same shape and size) very tightly so you can really feel them move while you try to hold them straight.

I have no idea why either method would work but if it helps you work out where to dig, then it is a good thing.

cheers
Leah
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

moonshadow_dancer

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 04:43:29 PM »
Hi Leah,

I am also not sure how it works, but apparently it does. Craig was divining for water down the back paddock and said his rods crossed, I think he was a bit amazed at that happening.

Maybe it is something to do with magnetism, but can't see that being possible.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

Take Care,
Deb ;D

Wwoofa

• ALF'er VIP
    • Wwoofa
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 04:43:53 PM »
Hi,
I guess the question I have always had is ... if you use the same technique for water, sapphires, opals etc etc.  How do you know which one you'll find when you start digging ?

Once I was told that there was a guy in QLD that stamped his foot as well and that indicated how many feet down the sapphires were !

I don't know if I'm a "believer" but I love hearing the stories :D

What we really need is an electronic "sapphire detector" ... why should only the gold & treasure hunters have one !
Regards, Paul

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 04:50:22 PM »
It has been looked at many times by the scientists/sceptics and the results dont come out well for the diviners.  BUT, if it helps to create some kind of unconscious gathering together of all the information you have available to you when making a decision on where to dig, AND most times, if you find what you are looking for, then I dont really need to have it explained more than that.

That is sitting on the fence a bit I know but if it helps, then why not try it.  I know that my father divined all the bores we dug and found water and Andrew uses the wires a lot when testing for sapphire and is happy with how they work.  I am happy not to try and over-analyse it.

cheers
Leah

moonshadow_dancer

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 04:59:27 PM »
Oh Boy Paul,

Now your talking, I reckon a Sapphire detectore would be worth its weight in umm Sapphires  :-\ ;D

Take Care,
Deb beers

moonshadow_dancer

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 05:06:46 PM »
Hi Leah,

Perhaps we will never know how or why it works, but I believe it does as I have also seen the proof in the pudding.

I think it would be something fun to try, and one never know what one will find ;)

Glad it works for Andrew, I doubt he would do it if it didn't.

Take Care,
Deb ;D

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 05:29:17 PM »
Forgot one crucial piece of information - when Andrew goes divining, he carries a piece of corundum in his hand.  He reckons it doesnt work as well (or at all???) if you dont do this.

BTW - Andrew has been away the last week or so overseas otherwise he would be answering these questions himself.

cheers
Leah

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 05:33:18 PM »
Shopping huh, you mean we will have more pretties to drool over? :D
Keep em comin!!!

Patrick

• ALF'er Silver Member
  • It's Animated!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 06:44:20 AM »
I believe in divining as I have seen it work countless times. I also like the simplicity of it two bits of wire with handles & a small piece of corundum.  :) Easy and Fun  ;D
Moderator  8)

moonshadow_dancer

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 08:16:13 AM »
I believe in it too Andrew (oops Patrick), infact I want to try it when I am near Sapphire bearing ground.

I am pretty sure every fossicker out there would have an uncuttable piece of corundum sitting around somewhere ;)

Take Care,
Deb ;D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 10:02:46 PM by moonshadow_dancer »

andrewb

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 02:45:35 PM »
It has been looked at many times by the scientists/sceptics and the results dont come out well for the diviners. 

Pretty much.

geriatricgipsy

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 09:29:09 PM »
Hi All, I have written a couple of articles in Aust. Gold Gem & Treasure magazine re divining and have had a few bad feed backs, but I have seen too much of it in the gemfields to deny the truth of it.  A dear friend, Bushy John Manton, died at Sapphire last year and he was a renowned diviner who used the 'foot stamping' method to guage depth.  A shaft digger friend of mine told me years ago that if Bushy said, 20 feet or whatever, then he struck sapphire wash with six inches of that level.  A major miner in Sapphire once told me that he had 6 years of University engineering education to prove that divining does not work, however, he does not turn a key on his excavatores until his 'wires' tell him where!! I had a recognised wash line on my claim and used to allow visitors (total non-fossicking type novices) to walk around the are with a set of 'wires' without telling them where the hot spot was.  At least 85% saw their wires cross as they passed over that line!  The only thing they won't tell you is the size of the sapphire/zircon.  Gemstone small enough to disappear through your 1/8th sieve will attract the wires, which lends ammunition to unbelievers.  Bushy John divined my current digging area a week before he died, telling me there was sapphire 4ft down.  This winter I recovered 100 cutters, 4ft down. luv & kisses, Patrick.

jad

• ALF'er Platinum
    • Folderless - Information & Knowledge Management
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 10:04:07 PM »
What do you mean by the 'Foot Stamping' method? How are the feet stamped in conjunction with divining rods? Maybe I should watch Riverdance and take some notes  ;D

JAD

moonshadow_dancer

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 10:04:41 PM »
Wow!!!

That is excellent imput Mr O'Brien, I remember all those years ago in the early 90's talking to people about divining and still remember.

Who knows how it works and basically who cares as long as it does is my motto.

Do you still throw wash at a bed frame? I know this has a nmae but for the life of me I can't remember what its called. Having a blonde moment.

Hugs,
Deb :-*

Recent Activities

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by tinker
[Today at 05:55:16 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[May 02, 2024, 03:20:57 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Jimnyjerry
[May 01, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

Vale Woofa by Jimnyjerry
[May 01, 2024, 10:25:49 PM]