collapse

Author Topic: Birthday Ring!!  (Read 4415 times)

moonshadow_dancer

• ALF'er VIP
  • Gems are like Rainbows...becoming rarer!!!
Birthday Ring!!
« on: December 23, 2008, 09:19:06 AM »
This is a ring I had made for my other halfs Birthday last year, the stone is a 10mm octagonal syn Ruby I cut in my favourite flower design the waratah. I designed this pattern in 1998 originally for a competition to design a cut uniquely australian, so I chose the state flower of my birthstate NSW. I first designed it on paper with a pencil and ruler. I was very new to faceting at that stage, and I had no idea what I was doing. In 2005 I redesigned it on Gemcad which made it easier for me to cut. I am not very good with macro mode on my camera so it isn't the best pictures, but more of a general idea of what I did. To date this is still my favourite design. (Could it be that I am proud of its humble beginnings  :) )

This is the ring, note the gemcad design under the ring box.

This is the side, not the best picture, mainly to show the flames, as my other half loves campfires and I wanted his ring to be original.
Ron and I have an Appointment to do some Laps ;) ;D

Nifty

• ALF'er Bronze Member
Re: Birthday Ring!!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 01:11:36 PM »
Hi moonshodow.
 I like the design of the ring and the dragonfly, is there way that you could share the details of the cut with me as I would like to cut them.  Is gemcad hard to use? I have looked on the web site (USA) Is there any where in Aust you can buy it?
Nifty
To you all have a very happy Christmas and will chat in the new year beers beers beers beers

moonshadow_dancer

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 01:33:06 PM »
Hi Nifty,

I am not sure if you can buy Gemcad in Australia, I know if you google Gemcad you can download it for a 30 day free trial. Then I could send you the design file which you could open in gemcad and print from there. If you wanted to do that you can email me which I think my email address is in the members area.

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 01:44:00 PM »
 That is a nice cut moonshadow. Could you pdf it onto the site?

Merryn.
Keep em comin!!!

moonshadow_dancer

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 02:36:47 PM »
Hi Merryn, I have never done that before, I will try to do something after christmas, as my work starts tonight at 6 PM and not sure how many ships will be in a row, I am hoping for a few hours tomorrow to cook a chicken and roast pork so we have meat for salad Christmas Day.

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 07:30:07 AM »
Sounds busy - hope you get time for a relaxing Christmas Day at least.

Regarding the pdf gemcad files - it is no problem to add these to the site and we are very happy to host them for you.  One thing to consider is whether you are happy to have these out in the public domain because really, once they get on the internet, you have lost all control over who gets to see/use them and who doesnt.

So if you decide to put them up (here or somewhere else), you may want to copyright them so that at least you are acknowledged as the designer.  You may prefer that your designs be viewed only by members or be happy to let them out for everyone to see.  Just have a think about this.

I also like the idea of a book (mentioned in the other thread) - I'm sure this would be very popular.  We could help with some of the printing logistics if needed.

cheers
Leah
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

moonshadow_dancer

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 01:04:34 PM »
Hi Leah, What you have said in your post was one of my concerns, I could copyright them easy enough as I have an account somewhere with 5 childrens books held in a copyright vault. Whilst I am working on the ships over the next few weeks I will have a long and hard think about this. I did once release my simple waratah pattern with half the facets, but not online.

I should be laying down as I just heard that an oil ship could dock tonight  :o and to top things of yesterday afternoon I got a tooth infection, so have done over 14 hours in sheer pain, I seen the doctor on the way home today and got some strong antibiotics, not to keen to work tonight though. But at least if I have to I will have something worthwhile to think about.

Take Care All and have a very Merry and Safe Christmas.
Deb  beers

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 08:15:38 PM »
Deb,
You should be acknowledged for your design. I vote copyright. I have no qualms adding this information to to the stones I hope to cut and eventually use in my creations.
Hope the antibiotics work.

Look after yourself.
Merryn.
Keep em comin!!!

moonshadow_dancer

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »
Thank Merryn,

The antibiotics did work, am pain free at the moment and worked a 14 hour shift last night, I just got home.

I took some of my cut stones to show my experience facetor workmate and he was like oh wow perhaps you can teach me a thing or 2  :-[ I don't normally accept compliments that easy, but it made me feel really proud, I have decided I will wait till I get my new polishing lap and go hammer and tongs at cutting again. In the meantime I will be trying to find the novelty designs I did a few years back to hopefully create something availabe to others.

Thank you so much for your opinion on this it means a lot to me.

Take Care
Deb  :)

Recent Activities

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[May 05, 2024, 04:52:12 PM]

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by Clarky
[May 04, 2024, 10:19:48 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[May 02, 2024, 03:20:57 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Jimnyjerry
[May 01, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]