collapse

Author Topic: The Big Lap (of Oz)  (Read 8073 times)

Mouse

• ALF'er Silver Member
  • Here for a good time, not a long time!
The Big Lap (of Oz)
« on: February 16, 2018, 06:02:24 PM »
Hi All, the Leader of the Opposition (LOTO) and I are heading off just after Easter on a year long trip around our wide brown land.
The trip will include sight seeing, adventure, relaxing and last but by no means least, fossicking and prospecting.
It will be in 3 legs, the first to Darwin by late July, fly back to Brisvegas and to NZ with friends, then to Perth by Xmas and fly to Brooklyn to see family and lastly to home about next Easter??
We would welcome any suggestions of special things to see/do or places to camp and any  locations/contacts for gems/minerals (grid references to the nearest metre please, LOL).
As this is not a travel forum maybe travel suggestions be sent PM and leave lapidary items on this forum for the rest of the ALFers to view.
Our first leg to Darwin is via Boulia or Mt Isa to Mud Tank etc. then to Alice, Uluru, Kings then make our way up to Darwin.
I would also like to catch up with some ALFers to put a face to the name, eg. Fullerton (Mt Isa?).
If anyone is planning a similar trip then please contact us.
Thanks in advance,
Regards
Mick and LOTO (Carol)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 09:04:00 PM by Mouse »
Life is not all about the final destination, but the journey taken.

Fullerton

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Friendly Heart Gems
Re: The Big Lap (of Oz)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 11:30:02 PM »

Hi Mick,

I'm in Cloncurry and ... Cloncurry Rockhana Gem and Mineral Festival is on Friday 29th June - Sunday 1st July this year is that helps the itinerary ... though you seem to be by-passing us via Boulia which is fine as the scenery is great out there.

Give me a reminder (via message) a few weeks before hitting Mount Isa and then a hoy closer to when you're in the area and maybe we can meet up on a dig. 

Cheers,
Fullerton

For Australian lapidary materials and gemstones  https://www.facebook.com/FriendlyHeartGems

harryopal

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 03:08:42 PM »
Good afternoon Mick and Carol,

You may find this a very useful site regarding travel, camping
etc.
https://www.exploroz.com/Forum

You can post questions and get lots of useful information.

harryopal

Mouse

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 09:25:43 PM »
Thanks Fullerton, we expect to be in the 'Curry about 19/20? April and will be in touch. We are planning on a few days at the Fullerton River beforehand.
Is that area still open to your knowledge? Any restrictions?
Thanks HarryO. We'll have a look at exploroz. We've also found a site called Station Hoppers where you can stay at various stations for not much.

Regards
Mouse

Rusted

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 07:43:53 AM »
If you are going around OZ go anticlockwise, it's shorter because you are on the inside of the road. :)

Actually it is better because the prevaling winds are tail winds most of the way (usually) and that is true.

pc bowe

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 07:49:20 AM »
I agree with Rusted.
Plus it's a good way to unwind  :P .[size=78%] [/size]

Mouse

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 01:07:59 PM »
If you are going around OZ go anticlockwise, it's shorter because you are on the inside of the road. :)

Actually it is better because the prevaling winds are tail winds most of the way (usually) and that is true.
Yeah thanks Rusted, we will be heading North and West for the Winter months, providing that we don't get too much more rain.  Are you heading North again for Winter??

Fullerton, I hope you're keeping your feet dry!!

wallie

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 03:29:23 PM »
If your heading west near Carnarvon make contact for some fossicking sites/trips. ;)

Fullerton

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Friendly Heart Gems
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 11:26:13 PM »
Fullerton River garnet site is always open (except for wet conditions) but there are often restrictions with open fires. We've just had some big rains so grass fuel loads may be high and the grazier won't want to lose their pasture.
For Australian lapidary materials and gemstones  https://www.facebook.com/FriendlyHeartGems

Rusted

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 06:16:09 PM »
Yep we are heading north but I think we will miss you, we really don't know where we are going or when, but I know we got home too early last year and had to put up with the coldest part of winter.
 We came out of Agate Creek last year through Gilberton, if you are going that way it might be worth a try, wave your electric gold divining rod around see what you can find.

Mouse

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 10:49:52 PM »
Thanks Wallie for the offer. We will be through Carnarvon about Nov/Dec. LOTO has rellies near Pt Hedland, so will call you from there or Broome. Are you into gold as well??
Fullerton, thanks for the update. Depending on the wet we might be a bit later than planned getting to the 'Curry. Are you into gold prospecting too?
Rusted, we might be a bit west of Gilberton. Agate and O'Briens Creeks have probably had a good clean out. Good luck if you're going there.

Regards
Mouse

Fullerton

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Friendly Heart Gems
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 10:13:50 PM »
Sorry Mouse, but I'm not into gold prospecting.

For everyone's information, we've just had 10 days consecutive rain so virtually all fossicking sites in the north west will be hard to access for a week or so. Great year for specking ...

pc bowe

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 09:38:28 AM »
The rains eased off in the North for the moment.
It's amazing the difference a good wet has to the dynamics of a fossicking site.

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 10:18:50 AM »
For everyone's information, we've just had 10 days consecutive rain so virtually all fossicking sites in the north west will be hard to access for a week or so. Great year for specking ...

That all augers well for my trip. We're leaving in June for Lightning Ridge, central Queensland through Cloncurry to the Gulf, Cairns and Cape York. We are spending a while in Cloncurry, not sure when, but will try and look you up Fullarton.
Common sense isn't exactly common

Mouse

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 02:11:22 PM »
Hey Bucket, Ref your trip to the Cape take a look at my post of Mar 12 about Grawin in 'Lightning Ridge-Inverell Area etc' by Ausdigfam. Not much further out than the Ridge and maybe an interesting alternative. PM me if you have any questions about the Cape. Went there 2 years ago.
Regards
Mouse

Recent Activities

Victorian Sapphires by Alaskan
[Today at 07:50:49 AM]

Tomahawk creek by MakkyBrown
[May 19, 2024, 11:49:07 AM]

The Next Big Trip by Jimnyjerry
[May 18, 2024, 06:56:45 PM]

Flinders Island 2024 by Jimnyjerry
[May 18, 2024, 06:53:36 PM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by Alaskan
[May 18, 2024, 11:10:32 AM]

Green tourmaline set in a cast 10Kt yellow gold ring by RoughCreations
[May 16, 2024, 01:27:37 PM]

How to figure platform height for the handpiece, while reading diagrams by Faceting Frank
[May 16, 2024, 10:41:17 AM]

Vale Woofa by MrSydney
[May 07, 2024, 10:12:47 AM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[May 05, 2024, 04:52:12 PM]

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by Clarky
[May 04, 2024, 10:19:48 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[May 02, 2024, 03:20:57 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Jimnyjerry
[May 01, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

Planning a trip to NT by tinker