collapse

Author Topic: Safety alert - Asbestos in crystals, stones and pendants  (Read 3262 times)

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
Safety alert - Asbestos in crystals, stones and pendants
« on: January 29, 2018, 09:05:51 AM »
Earth Crystals—Chrysotile Healing CrystalsRecent testing has detected the presence of chrysotile asbestos (white asbestos) in the crystals.  The importation of asbestos or goods containing asbestos into Australia is restricted under the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956 (Customs Prohibited Import Regulations).
 What are the hazards?There is a possible risk of consumers accessing the asbestos in these goods. Exposure to airborne asbestos fibres can cause asbestosis, lung cancer and mesothelioma.
 What should consumers do?The ACCC commissioned a scientific risk assessment of products found to contain asbestos.  That risk assessment concluded that the health risk from the use, handling or disposal of these products was much lower than the risk commonly associated with asbestos in building materials, home renovation or industrial exposure to asbestos. The risk assessment concluded that accidental disposal of these products via standard garbage collection would present a negligible risk to garbage workers.  However, environmental protection laws in all states and territories prohibit the disposal of asbestos via standard garbage collection and these products should therefore be taken to an asbestos disposal facility.  Your nearest asbestos disposal facility can be located with the online tool on the Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency (ASEA) website (asbestossafety.gov.au/search-disposal-facilities). Consumers should telephone the asbestos disposal facility before taking the double-bagged crystals to the facility, as disposal costs can vary widely.  Consumers should inform the facility that they need to dispose of recalled crystals that contain a very small amount of asbestos.  Earth Crystals are offering a refund under the recall of these goods.  Consumers can also ask Earth Crystals to reimburse them for any reasonable disposal costs and they should retain receipts for this purpose.  Consumers should not send these products in the mail. Consumers can also contact the ACCC if there are queries or concerns about disposal.

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recall/earth-crystals-chrysotile-healing-crystals?source=recalls
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
Re: Safety alert - Asbestos in crystals, stones and pendants
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 09:41:43 PM »
With my dealings with them, it wouldn't surprise me... Bet the 'crystals' are still on the shelf too... Anyone dealing in Chrysotile would know the Dangers... They Didn't... >:(
They have been reported several times before for 'other' things as well.. ::)
 If anyone is confused with the above info...

'Earth Crystals' are a Wholesaler operating out of Varsity Lakes on the Gold Coast....

Gemster... beers
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 09:53:12 PM by Gemster »
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 08:47:59 AM »
Very relevant on this forum. Pretty sure asbestos is only dangerous when airborne,  I haven't seen the crystals but if cabbing material not good. Even if wet grinding particles can become airborne in water vapor. 
No matter the material imo it is good practice to use a mask when cabbing as fine particles are airborne in water mist. Especially important to wear a mask with material like serpentine that commonly contains asbestos. I have some big chunks in the front garden with white asbestos banding, safe unless you go and cut or grind it.

MB

starsapphire78

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 02:16:25 PM »
Thanks for the info

Recent Activities

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[Today at 03:20:57 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Jimnyjerry
[May 01, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

Vale Woofa by Jimnyjerry