Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Gemcad Discussions / Re: Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough
« Last post by Alaskan on Today at 09:48:02 PM »
Preformed with 400 steel... did I mention I was getting stupid? 🥴
« Last post by Alaskan on Today at 09:30:51 PM »
Thank you RC for your kind reply to a novice - exactly answered my question. I live on an island in the southeast passage of Alaska.  It's mail or internet. To know my experience of carving small stones out of generous chunks is expected... encouraging. Your explanation was superb. This is a post I'll print and pin to the wall in my humble shop.

Have you any insight on 'microscopic' tiny disintegration on a facet at 14 K Corian after no preforming coarser than 400? Material is Pnom Penh lab created Zircon cut with a .014" saw and stepped up with 600 1500 steel then 3000 8000 to 14K on Corian.

Is this material 'weak' or is it sub-surface 'damage' from a squarish block cut with the saw which seems the harshest treatment this material endured. I'm 80, retired, and getting stupid - don't want to be a pest.

Fossicking Locations / Re: Victorian Sapphires
« Last post by Rusted on Today at 06:16:01 PM »
Morrisons used to be a pretty isolated out of the way place, we went there a couple of years back and its all hobby farms, there's none of the Chert left though. The Chert and probably the Sapphires came out of deep lead Gold mines.
We could see potholes where people had obviously been digging for Sapphires in the creek but we didn't have sieves so left them all for somebody else. We went on to Anglesea and got a few lumps of nice blue Vivianite from Demons bluff.
Trip Talk / Re: The Next Big Trip
« Last post by MrSydney on Today at 02:28:54 PM »
Sounds like a bloody awesome trip!!!  Very jealous!  Make sure you post a few pics when you get back!!
I was asking andrewbrown about the small stones we see selling from around the world and not having any clue as to how to choose a design...

... or the expectation of having a finished product of what... 50% of the size of the rough being optimistic?

50% yield from a specific piece of rough is generally very optimistic, generally only achievable if your rough has a freakily-good shape or has been pre-formed by the seller (rare) and would therefore command an extra premium in the asking price.
I think a 25 - 33% yield calculated over many cut stones seems to be closer to the average that normal facetors achieve. Carefully choosing a design to match the shape of your rough would get you closer to 33% average, with nice prismatic rough such as tourmaline crystals etc definitely helping in this regard. Highly irregularly-shaped rough with shallow projections usually means closer to the 25% yield, with unexpected inclusions discovered and requiring removal during the cutting process also affecting the final yield. Other factors such as human error while cutting can also combine to reduce the yield for a given stone, and affect your average too.
What kind of product to expect from a 2.5 carat sapphire or garnet... will wait for your experience... thaks.
So, bearing in mind all that, the answer to your question is unfortunately: That depends....
If I was buying a 2.5ct piece of sapphire rough, I would be focussing on nice clean regularly-shaped offerings only, with the aim (hope?) of getting an 0.8ct finished stone.

RC
« Last post by swirly on Today at 11:41:45 AM »
there are small sapphires and zircons in reedy crk eldorado not usually of cutting size size there is small cuttable sapphires and zircons near mansfield
Trip Talk / The Next Big Trip
« Last post by Barry Simiana on Today at 11:36:53 AM »
Six weeks to go for the start of the next big trip. Missed last year due to life and other matters getting in the way. Myself and the young bloke will be wheels up and heading north for 4-5 weeks. First stop Bundaberg and Innes Beach for some volcanic rock and fossilised coral. Next stop Mt Hay. Quick stop at Groper Creek for a fish, then Innisfail and heading west. Big stop at Agate Creek then the real adventure begins. Finally 40 years too late, heading to the Gulf. Young bloke wants a barra as big as him. That's be one hell of a fish. then we turn south. Cloncurry is the target, with day trips to Quamby, Mary Kathleen, Kuridala. Fullerton River and (hopefully) Wee McGregor. We should fill a few buckets (again, I hope). After a stop at Richmond and Hughenden its a tour of the opal fields and home. Biggest trip we've done. Many rocks to find. With  focus on Cloncurry, anyone wishing (willing) to sell or share a copy of Cloncurry Trails, please let me know.
Thanks
« Last post by Alaskan on Today at 05:54:10 AM »
I was asking andrewbrown about the small stones we see selling from around the world and not having any clue as to how to choose a design...

... or the expectation of having a finished product of what... 50% of the size of the rough being optimistic?

What kind of product to expect from a 2.5 carat sapphire or garnet... will wait for your experience... thaks.
« Last post by Bucket on May 16, 2024, 10:01:06 PM »
Many, many years ago, my club used to go to Morrisons regularly, not for sapphires but a very good quality red/brown/yellow and grey chert. I remember it used to polish very well, but couldn't find the area we went now.
Jewellery Talk / Re: Green tourmaline set in a cast 10Kt yellow gold ring
« Last post by RoughCreations on May 16, 2024, 01:27:37 PM »
Thanks,
It took me many years of practice to be able to make flawed and crude jewellery, lol.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal