General Category > General Discussion

We have not forgot you!

(1/3) > >>

Andrew:
Hi all,
 Sorry if I have not been active posting this week,we have been moving into a larger office and building painting etc. Nearly there now,its going to be great as we spend so many hours a day in front of the screen or packing/posting some extra room and comfort will go down well ;D
 Well done to every member of the forum I cant believe the numbers and quality of your messages,a big pat on the back all :) Its yours so enjoy.
 Cheers Andrew

Aussie Sapphire:
Next time a certain someone suggests moving the office, I think I'll take 2 weeks off in a remote location.

Another couple of days and we might be able to find everything again  ::) 

Anyone know how to get a Belkin Wireless Router to work   >:(
I've been struggling with it most of the day and have just had to go back to our network switch - not high tech but it works !!!

Should be back to normal tomorrow.  And the new digs are very comfortable - thanks Andrew.  I now have no excuse not to be super efficient at all times.

cheers
Leah

calxoddity:
You're in luck - I have a Belkin ADSL2 wireless modem router - what model?  And what's wrong?

Aussie Sapphire:
We have an Activ8 satellite connection (cant get ADSL unfortunately) - when we got this, our office was smaller and I just used a network switch to connect the 2 laptops to the desktop that is hooked up to the IPstar modem.

When we moved into the larger room, I got a Belkin Wireless G Modem (model F5D7230-4).  Know Wireless N is better but figured I only needed to network within one room and that G would be fine -OK, it was cheaper too  ;)

Followed the cable instructions and installed the CD, and everything detected fine.  Could connect to the internet straight away. The laptop with the wireless card detected the network perfectly, signal strength is strong and it connected to the internet fine also.  The laptop without the wireless card (Patrick's) got a USB adaptor and once CD installed, it did the same.

Thought I had it all worked out.  BUT, connection is really unreliable. ie. connection is still there & strong but web browsing starts to fail.  So we can call up a website - it may or may not load.  Or we can get to a website ok, but click to another page in the site and it hangs.  This happening on all 3 computers. 

Running Windows XP on all 3 - have Norton on main 2.  Turned off Norton firewall but made no difference.

Have run out of ideas and so went back to network switch - works fine but to hook Patrick up, we'll have to run a cable across the room.  Suggestions gratefully received.

It can be done - Activ8 recommend another brand of wireless router but Harvey Norman didnt have any of those - could be my problem though?  They sell 3 options in their shop - N, G or a USB thingy - have to go back to check on which brand (might be LinkSys).

cheers
Leah

calxoddity:
Leah,
   I'm not much use to you after all - the behavior you describe really requires somebody to walk thru the settings, and I have absolutely no idea what the best settings are for satellite, but here are the settings I have for my wireless setup:
- wireless channel: auto
- mode:  g and b
-broadcast SSID set to "yes"
- 54g protection mode set to "off" - if yours is set to off also, try changing it to "on" as this may stop contention between the 3 wireless devices in close proximity.

As you can imagine, there's a bucketload of settings to play with - if the above doesn't work and you're desperate, message me with a screenshot of your wireless settings.  Failing that, a 15metre network cable is still the fastest and most reliable way of connecting!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version