collapse

Author Topic: CQ VS GI Gemfields  (Read 7661 times)

Stix

• ALF'er Platinum
CQ VS GI Gemfields
« on: May 02, 2011, 02:34:34 PM »
Hi all,

In another thread we where discussing the differance between the fossicking around Glenn Innes or the Anakie Gemfields.  We would love to hear from anyone who has spent time on any or both of these fields.  There are plenty of people who have spent lots of time in one area who really have no idea what the fossicking is like in other locations.  Obviously everyone has different experiences on the same fields and good trips and bad trips etc.

In general though what are the primary differances?  What is the average size of the sapphires in your area? What is the average quality?  How many cutters per 20 stones?  What is the longest period of digging without finding a sapphire?  How hard is it to find Sapphire bearing wash or creeks?  The more people we can get posting the better we can compare the 2 gemfields.  The more info the better :)

Stix

Stix

• ALF'er Platinum
Re: CQ VS GI Gemfields
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 02:47:41 PM »
I will start it off even though i only have very limited experience.

In the past 12-18 months i have done most of my fossicking at Tomahawk Creek (CQ).  In the last 30 days of digging i have found 10-12 sapphires, 2 of which are probably cuttable at 6cts and 7cts although not of great quality.  Just over half of the stones i have found have been Blue, 30% would be greens and the rest parti or yellows.

I generally dig 1sq meter or ground at each hole up to 3sq meters if i find something or it is easy digging.  Wsh layers are "Generally" between 2" and 6" thick and around 2-3 feet deep.  Probably 70% of my time is spent searching for virgin wash on untouched ground or inbetween old and new diggings.

I dig quiet hard and on a good day digging and washing for 12-14 hours i average processing about 8 3/4 full 20lt buckets of wash.  I average 1 sapphire (normally tiny) every 15 buckets of wash, i would have to guess that it would be something like 80-100 buckets of wash for every cutter but i have found so few that it's hard to say.

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 04:40:48 PM »
Sorry - I cannot contribute anything to this discussion not having ever fossicked in QLD but couldnt resist posting this:

Sounds like a great topic for discussion though so please add your thoughts.  Both areas are quite different so anything that helps people decide where to try is going to be really useful.

Hopefully the interstate rivalry for fossicking wont get as intense as the football.

cheers
Leah
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 04:53:16 PM »
ROFL  ;D
Keep em comin!!!

drft_er

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 09:09:21 PM »
Hey All,
Very hard topic to be difinative on i guess it is a matter of Experiences as no 2 rockhounds have the same experience. It all depends if you lob on a good spot or not. My own experience at washpool CQ has not been that flash but i have seen others pull out nice stones one after the other, I have found a handfull of stones in the past 3 years but most have been shattered badly or have that sugary apperance with b**** all cutters, but i go by the motto the more rubbish you find the closer you are to the good ones. Also if you turn enough dirt you you will find them eventually.
I have 2 claims with surface wash down to 18 in they are split by a gulley on one side the wash is a grey ash layer with aggregate and billies embedded 2-3 inches into the Grey clay which yeilds most of the stones that i have found (Rubbish). The other is a Red wash on a red clay with billies mixed in. I have only just started digging this with 1 stone that appeared to be beter quality and colour.
The year before last on the grey side just outside my block I saw 3  beautiful stones found in a short period ! 10ct Sgt Stripe Blue 1 10ct Gold yellow 1 Blue/ Green Cross table the diameter of a 10cent peice and 10cm deep :'( The run didnt carry on to my block and no more stones were found :'(
Mind you i dont win at pub raffles either ;D
I have decided to try for an underground next also (am down 8 ft) I suppoes try every option and see what shows up.

I enjoy my time out there regardless the results but it would be nice to strike it lucky once
 beers beers
I Guess Ill keep Diggin or Fishing Hmmm or Golfing. There's just not enough hours in a day!!

drft_er

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 09:13:58 PM »
"GO THE MIGHTY CANETOADS"
I Guess Ill keep Diggin or Fishing Hmmm or Golfing. There's just not enough hours in a day!!

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 08:53:24 AM »
Seems the choices are that with Qld you have plenty of fossicking areas to dig in (and a lot of dirt) while in NSW it is mostly paid digs and a few tiny reserves.  Also depends if you like wet creeks or dry land to dig in.
I go for both.  beers
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

diesel

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 08:58:23 AM »

I dig quiet hard and on a good day digging and washing for 12-14 hours i average processing about 8 3/4 full 20lt buckets of wash.  I average 1 sapphire (normally tiny) every 15 buckets of wash, i would have to guess that it would be something like 80-100 buckets of wash for every cutter but i have found so few that it's hard to say.

You don't seem to be getting much return for effort there Stix, but I guess if they were easily found then they would be worthless.

Many years back in the early 90's I met a young German guy (Felix) here in Sapphire and he was absolutely disillusioned about the place because he had read somewhere before coming to Oz that sapphires were just laying around everywhere. When I asked him if he had considered how much he thought they would be worth if what he had heard was correct, he said he hadn't thought about that aspect of it and then when I asked him how stupid do you think us Aussies are to just leave them laying there for others to pick up, the penny dropped - ya gotta work for em.

Currently on my claim in shallow wash I am getting 1 cutter per 3 buckets - last year I hit a nice little patch that yielded on average 2 cutters per bucket. There are a lot of places around Sapphire with good productive shallow wash and it is just a matter of learning what to look for in the lay of the land.

The pic below shows the sort of ground I am working.

diesel  beers

[attachment deleted by admin]

Stix

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 09:31:26 AM »
Nice photo diesel!  See to me that looks like old diggings or something, all the wash i try and dig is compacted with lots of powdery silt.  If it's got dirt inbetween the wash i figure it's been dug up before.  I know my finds are poor i'm just not sure what it is i'm doing wrong.

Wwoofa

• ALF'er VIP
    • Wwoofa
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 09:46:31 AM »
Hi,
A few differences that I think are mostly true .... feel free to jump in if you disagree :D

> CQ has (on average) bigger sapphires than GI
> CQ has more variety in colour ..... GI stones are most commonly blue (often dark)
> CQ has many, many more public areas to fossick
> CQ fossicking is mostly dry seiving then using a willoughby
> GI fossicking is mostly wet seiving in creeks
> GI has more variety in gems eg. topaz, garnet, emerald, beryl, quartz etc
> GI has more regular field trips to private properties

My feeling is that if you want to find a variety of gems in a reasonable amount of time ... some of them small cutters .... then go to GI.  If you are mainly interested in sapphires and would really like to find the "retirement stone" then head to CQ.

Of course, if you are in the position to do it, then head to CQ in winter and GI in summer ;D
Regards, Paul

« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 09:50:02 AM by Woofa »

TG

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 08:29:17 PM »
Stix, just did a count of last trip's efforts in the Glen area.
64 sapphires, only 3 were top sieve and they were not cutters. This was from 4 hours of work in a previously dug hole. This was not in a creek, but nearly at the top of a hill in trap soil. I can go days between a blue chip. It is hit or miss, but take a holiday down here. You may not find a retirement stone, but a 1-2ct cut stone is only a weeks worth of work in my opinion.

Stix

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 09:46:09 PM »
I have been having some better luck up here lately TG, not in quality but i've been getting 2-3 4-7ct stones a day just poor quality, is your "top sieve" a 1/4" sieve from here?

Stix

TG

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »
I have been having some better luck up here lately TG, not in quality but i've been getting 2-3 4-7ct stones a day just poor quality, is your "top sieve" a 1/4" sieve from here?

Stix
Good to hear. Yes, top sieve is 1/4" from here. Finally unpacked my other sieves as well.

Lord_Thunda

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 02:12:13 AM »
 :'( I think you guys that complain about only having 2-3 cutters are damn lucky!! In 4 yrs of fossicking in GI area I am yet to find ANYTHING sapphire like over 2 cts. Sure, I get a few bits of colour & quantity over time has been a reasonable amount but what do u do with 0.2 - 1.9 ct chips? I figure either intarsia (well beyond my capabilities) or resin paperweights.

Maybe I need to go to CQ to see if I can do any better up there  ??? Tho I'd NEVER move from my lil piece of paradise. Took me too many yrs to find it & I figure this is where I'd stay even if I won $100m. Mind you, I'd build a hell of a house / castle & be able to buy as much Russian stones as I could find  :P

Andrew

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 07:41:50 AM »

Really think this is a impossible quest, to say which is best is simply impossible. Both offer such very different environment they are almost like comparing a different planet ;)
 I believe CQ offers the real serious Fossicker/come Small miner great possibilities not possible anywhere in NSW (because of Gov regulations and Land use practices in NSW) The ability to Buy a Claim and work it in QLD fulfills many Dreams but just by getting a Claim doesn't get you Sapphires :o For every success story there are scores of disappointing results.
Everyone must remember there are different expectations from the casual Fossicker,the thought that CQ offers easy rewarding Fossicking for the "couple of Days" Fossicker raises expectations beyond reality.In many ways for this casual Fossicker finding a spot to dig in QLD can be much harder then NSW as most likely our proven areas already have Claims all over them and if you set foot inside one of these and get caught its like the "WILD WEST" CQ offers vast distances to Drive with few towns our extra frills some seek,this is attracting to many but not all.
  NSW/GI offers a completely different experience, Glen Innes offers the most diverse range of different Gems and Minerals in one region,Within a one hours drive you can access GOLD,Tin,Sapphires,Zircons,Black Spinel,Topaz,Quartz,Emeralds, Aquamarines,Garnets to name a few. We have Silver,Molybdenum,,Bismuth.Tungsten etc. Now not all these are easy to find but seek and you can.
 Coupled with fantastic scenery a multitude of options for accommodation and Lots of Towns and Villages with great history to view this area offers a very different Visitor experience compared to Central QLD.
  Is this better?,I dont think so its differnt but I no where I prefer to spend my time ;D
Cheers Andrew         

Recent Activities

Vale Woofa by fossickeract
[April 30, 2024, 09:59:12 PM]

Planning a trip to NT by Pete49
[April 30, 2024, 02:19:09 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Gemster
[April 29, 2024, 05:59:31 PM]

Tomahawk creek by Scratcher
[April 23, 2024, 06:35:53 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[April 22, 2024, 12:43:41 PM]