collapse

Author Topic: Poor Mans Trim Saw  (Read 7524 times)

moonshadow_dancer

• ALF'er VIP
  • Gems are like Rainbows...becoming rarer!!!
Poor Mans Trim Saw
« on: January 15, 2009, 12:49:28 PM »
Yesterday while I was looking through my gemcutting tool box, I found  a trim saw attachment I bought years ago but could never figure out how to use it.

It screws onto the Gemmasta GF4, I had to get a longer screw thingy to hold it on as the one that holds the laps on wasn't ling enough.

My other half set it up yesterday to see how it worked and this this the results also how it is attached.

This is a picture of it unassembled and off the machine.

I am going to see if I can get a better quality blade for it as the one I have is a very cheap one.

Take Care
Deb  ;D
PS: When I can afford a real Trim Saw I will get one as this one is limited by size of stone.
Ron and I have an Appointment to do some Laps ;) ;D

moonshadow_dancer

• ALF'er VIP
Re: Poor Mans Trim Saw
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 05:03:56 AM »
Well after looking on Aussie Sapphire for an 80 index wheel for my gemmasta I didcovered a Trim Saw attachment  :-[ I kinda feel like a total doofus at the moment.

This is what I found 
http://www.aussiesapphire.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_82&products_id=930  :-[ :-X

I have to say I never cease to amaze myself  ::)

Take Care
Deb  :-[ ;D

Aussie Sapphire

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 06:15:23 AM »
:-[ I kinda feel like a total doofus at the moment.

Don't say that!!  We've had that gadget on the shelf for a while now and no nibbles at all so I was pleased to see your message as it shows people how they fit on the machine and what they can do.

They are a good little stop-gap solution until you raise the funds for a separate saw.

cheers
Leah
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

moonshadow_dancer

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 12:31:14 PM »
:-[ I kinda feel like a total doofus at the moment.

Don't say that!!  We've had that gadget on the shelf for a while now and no nibbles at all so I was pleased to see your message as it shows people how they fit on the machine and what they can do.

They are a good little stop-gap solution until you raise the funds for a separate saw.

cheers
Leah
Thanks Leah,
I feel so much better now, and I hope that in some way this does make people like myself aware that there are alternatives to trimming gems if finances are a bit tight.

Is it possible that the ones you stock would fit on other machines as most laps have the same center hole to go on most facet machines, perhaps only a different bolt thingy would be needed (just a thought)?

I was actually quite amazed that it did work, I am glad I was sorting gems and founf it in my tool box.

Take Care
Deb  ;D

Gearloose

• ALF'er Platinum
    • Gearloose.com
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 09:19:48 PM »
A trimsaw blade, especially a thin one, can save a lot of wear and tear on your roughing laps.
Especially if you have a rigid machine, you can pretend the saw blade is a lap.  Approach and use the saw blade in the TRAILING direction always to prevent jamming.
They are especially valuable is cuttigng the quartzes, which foul plated laps quickly.  Say you have a big lump of quartz dopped.  Set the index and height as you would if it were a cutting lap, then approach the blade and saw on that setting.  Go to another index and repeat.  With practice, you can take all the work out of preforming and save hours.  You can rough the outline of the stone, and even  knock off a lot of the pavilion preforming.  The thinner the blade the better and faster it cuts.  keep it wet AND BE GENTLE WITH PRESSURE.

I do all my quartzes this way.  I use blades .006-.008 thick. (Oh all right....18mm)

moonshadow_dancer

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 10:40:48 PM »
Thanks Jon,

I haven't used it like this before, but will surely try it next time I have large quartz rough dopped up.

Excellent discription, much appreciated.

Take Care,
Deb  beers  ;D

Tags:

Recent Activities

Gems stolen, Mt Surprise by starsapphire78
[September 14, 2021, 09:07:23 PM]

Joke of the Day by starsapphire78
[September 14, 2021, 09:03:58 PM]

Back after long layoff by Bucket
[September 14, 2021, 03:27:15 PM]

Springsure closed by Lyn