collapse

Author Topic: purple chalcedony  (Read 5056 times)

cams7

• ALF'er Silver Member
purple chalcedony
« on: August 13, 2015, 09:32:18 PM »
Hello everyone I just cut this piece of chalcedony and I am amazed. I just had to share it with everyone. My friend kyle and I went for a walk on a ridge line near Tyalgum and this is the only thing I found on our 6 hr walk I chose to keep and I'm glad I did. We climbed water falls and scaled cliffs to get to the top. But I found this rock in the paddock on the way up. It was laying where the cows had been trampling regularly, it was in a mud slosh pit basically mixed with a bit of cow dung for good measure. It looked a little red in the sun when I held it up so I kept it. Stunk like cow behinds when I washed it..... Then washed I held it up to the sun and I got a little purple through it. So I cut it to find out. Sure enough it was purple. So anyone I just wanted to ask if it could be anything other then chalcedony like amethysts or flourite? In my opinion its chalcedony from the look of the outside of the rock and from what I know about chalcedony.
 Cheers.

Gem Ranger

• ALF'er Platinum
Re: purple chalcedony
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 10:26:02 PM »
Yes Cams, I'd be calling it for purple chalcedony. Its a very nice piece and naturally purple chalcedony is really quite rare. The saturation in your piece looks great. I only have one piece similar in my collection. That's a fantastic result for a days fossicking  8)

GR

MALACHI

• ALF'er VIP
  • Live long and prospect
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 08:04:19 AM »
Good find Cam7, are you going back to see if there is more?  ::) ;)

Malachi  beers

cams7

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 09:18:26 PM »
Thanks gr I'm stoked on this rock. How rare do you think something like this is? I'll  be back Malachi but I'm not sure my mate kyle will be keen to share this spot till he finds himself some purple.

Gem Ranger

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 11:26:38 AM »
Hi Cams, how rare you ask ... well I'd say naturally purple or blue chalcedony is an 'uncommon' or 'infrequent' gem to be found in a gem collection. To that end it can be regarded as a rare stone. However if you find a zone from which the material is shedding you might not consider it as rare.
In Australia at least there is no ready supply of this material that I'm aware of and in 10 years of attending gemshows I've only seen a few slices of overseas material offered for sale.
Unfortunately rarity doesn't always translate to demand and consequently the value of such material isn't significant, perhaps similar to what tiger eye goes for. I suspect the flood of dyed and simulated blue chalcedony available on the market these days helps keep the value of the natural material low.
The most valued of the natural material has good colour saturation, good translucency and no inclusions like the first photo in this link - http://rss.monroe-kc.com/monroe/chalcedony.
Be sure to post up a photo if you end up cutting a cab from it.

Cheers,
GR

cams7

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 09:39:29 PM »
Cheers gr that's good to know. I thought it would be worth a little more but I wouldn't know. Did anybody know if there has been any other purple chalcedony found in Australia before? I have tried looking for some other pieces of purple chalcedony that's been found in Australia but I cant find any photos records on anything.

Gem Ranger

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 11:02:42 PM »
It might be Cams. Value is always dependant on what someone is willing to pay for it. Find the right person and you'll sell it for more  :). All I know at this point in time its easier to sell your left arm than it is to sell rocks  ;) Too much cheap stuff available on Ebay ... or maybe that's just the way I see it.
Like I said its rare stuff to be found in Australia. The attached link shows my only piece in 10 years of frequenting gem shows and looking in the classifieds.
http://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=3904.msg36839#msg36839
The link also mentions some spots other members highlighted link this one from Jamo - http://www.goldgemtreasure.com.au/content_common/pg-in-search-of-bago-blue-agate.seo. But note that blue agate is a bit different to chalcedony. Although both are comprised of silica, the agate will generally show banding.

Cheers,
GR
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 11:15:00 PM by Gem Ranger »

cams7

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 10:34:50 AM »
Cheers gr I don't think I could bring myself to sell this haha. It's too special some would have to pay a lot. I'm just interested to know this info, I've never sold anything I have found.  I have had offers on some smoky's but I cant bring myself to sell anything. Definitely not selling my purple chalcedony, I just wanted to learn a little about my find and share it with my fellow alfer's.
 Cheers gr.

Shifter55

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 04:34:18 PM »
Having polished a bit of the Mexican variety today, I wouldn't recommend making cabochons any thinner than 12mm with this stuff. The purple colour seems to come from diffuse light scattering inside the mineral like rose quartz rather than the stronger colour of amethyst crystals, cut it too thinly and you will have a very lovely purple-grey stone!
I think I might be able to pull some colour out with pavilions but it isn't as clear as proper amethyst is which may render faceting it pointless...
If you can find the source of that piece though, you might find some buyers attracted to the purple-with-orange-spots effect it has, though.

Scottyb

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 07:56:51 AM »
Hi did the purple chalcedony look purple before you cut it ? Has any one ever found green chalcedony? I used to
Hunt around the cliffs n creeks out that way a fair bit got a 20 litre bucket full of diffrent colours more blues then purple tho lots of orange and white stuff out that way to

Rusted

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 08:16:11 AM »
We came across green Agate in the Pilbara quite by accident, stopped for lunch by a creek near Onslow and there it was. Some research showed its very very ancient and is from a layer of Basalt beneath the Iron deposits, so probably several billion years old. The green is probably due to the Iron, there was no Oxygen at the time so the Iron stained the rocks green rather than rusty red.
Only small pieces and its hard to get a crack free piece but its nice.

Tags:

Recent Activities

Pewter Lap build by Bucket
[Today at 05:35:03 PM]

honey opal by dan1000
[August 02, 2021, 11:22:11 PM]

Opal doublet backing. by MakkyBrown
[August 02, 2021, 08:13:51 AM]

faceting machine digital microscope setup by Faceting Frank
[August 01, 2021, 12:28:09 PM]

Joke of the Day by pc bowe
[July 31, 2021, 07:47:35 AM]