collapse

Author Topic: Gemray for Windows  (Read 7490 times)

scratchie

• ALF'er Gold Member
Gemray for Windows
« on: June 17, 2012, 05:51:13 PM »
Have been playing with the Gemray for Windows program - an add-on to the Gemcad program.
It's brilliant .
If you want to get the best angles for any stone you're going to facet this program is a must. There are demos. of it on YouTube. Just type Gemray into the search box on the YouTube page and you'll find six demos. there by the author of the program, Robert Strickland.
And no , Robert is not my uncle or any relation in fact !!!!! ::)
John

Gem Ranger

• ALF'er Platinum
Re: Gemray for Windows
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 10:10:23 AM »
I know its been a while since this thread was started I too just discovered and purchased Gemray the other day and I have to agree - its brilliant. Only recently have I got back into faceting and to have a program like Gemray to test designs on is fantastic. It doesn't cost much and will no doubt save many a gem from under performing. Its a big thumbs up from me  ;D

GR

Blash

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 01:11:11 PM »
I use it too, got it when I first got gemcad and use it when playing around with new designs where it is extremely helpful.

FlashGP

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 07:54:16 AM »
Gemray has been the catylist for a fairly steep learning curve for me.  I've found that once you optimise the pavillion, there is a fair amount of latitude to play with crown angles to optimise yield.

Gemray has a tendancy to flatten the crown a  bit much.
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

agemcutr

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 10:42:48 AM »
Gemcad is why I built a fast cutting system.Its quicker for me to cut a stone than draw it on a compute.r. For example Ive had my blog for two months and still cant add a link to my posts.Could have cut a stone in the time I spent trying.

Regards Anthony

scratchie

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 02:03:34 PM »
Anthony (Agemcutter)
I guess this is the difference between making a living or pursuing a hobby. Most facetors are more interested in cutting a fabulous looking stone than making it into a speed event. Any extra time spent with a program such as Gemray can be well rewarded in producing a stone to be proud of and that will win admiration from the recpient when it gets into a piece of jewellery.
Horses for courses ?
John

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 03:08:23 PM »
Horses for courses ?
John

Exactly.

I suppose another factor might be that hobbyists are not generally pushed for time - they can spend as long as they need to get the results they want. They may however, not have heaps of rough sitting around that can be sacrificed to test cutting (in case it goes wrong) or have lots of money to buy more if they think another go at it will result in a more attractive stone. In these cases, spending a little time on the computer beforehand (before the stone goes on the lap and they commit to the design) might be very beneficial.

We have customers who enjoy cutting on the fly and playing around to see what they can come up. We have other customers who enjoy the gemcad method as part of the process.  Commercial cutters who need to knock them out without a lot of time-wasting are likely to use a different process. Whatever works for you.

For those who find computers challenging, then gemcad may not help too much in contrast to others who are comfortable driving one of these "new-fangled inventions" which do generally make things easier and more efficient for a lot of jobs. For those who are prepared to put a bit of time into learning how to use a computer, will usually get a lot out of it. Not a requirement though - the old ways nearly always still work.

cheers
Leah
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

agemcutr

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 09:38:24 PM »
I know about commercial versus hobbie it was about my ineptness on a computor,not my speed cutting. Have a look at this guys gems www.bespoke.gems.com. he cuts too slow but needed to increase his cutting speed without sacrificing accuracy.I helpd him a liitle with my methods.Thats sometimes all people need a little more  for a liitle less time.I only offer my systems to professional cutters now,but I am manufacturing sintered grinding laps and polishing discs for lapidary shops now.

Cheri Bate

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 07:27:46 PM »
Im finding with gemcad and gemray that if I have a particular stone and I design a cut just for that stone then I tend to waste less material. Gemray is handy in a sense that when you have the Cad file drawn you can tell it what the stone is and see what it should turn out like. In saying that though for it to turn out exactly the same you would need a nearly flawless piece of rough to start with. Im enjoying both programs, yes I am predominantly a hobbyist, really on sell what I need too to keep myself going. I dont Imagine commercial cutters would take the time and effort for each stone, but then again if it saves more stone and they make more from it the time may be worth it?

FlashGP

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 07:19:53 AM »
Gemcad is why I built a fast cutting system.Its quicker for me to cut a stone than draw it on a compute.r. For example Ive had my blog for two months and still cant add a link to my posts.Could have cut a stone in the time I spent trying.

Regards Anthony

I would be interested in how the faster cutting system works.  I tend to take ages on each stone.

Regards ::)
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

Recent Activities

Planning a trip to NT by Pete49
[Today at 02:19:09 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Gemster
[April 29, 2024, 05:59:31 PM]

Tomahawk creek by Scratcher
[April 23, 2024, 06:35:53 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[April 22, 2024, 12:43:41 PM]