collapse

Author Topic: Fossicking Lightning Ridge, Inverell and Glen Innes  (Read 7001 times)

De11as

• ALF'er Bronze Member
Fossicking Lightning Ridge, Inverell and Glen Innes
« on: January 16, 2014, 10:54:54 AM »
Hi

Im a new member from Tassie, my son and I are keen members of our local Lapidary club. We (myself and 3 'children' 7,13,16) are coming to NSW and hiring a camper van in Oct this year. We hope to head to Lightning Ridge and then down through Glen Innes to Coffs. I've read through the posts and info here, Tingha Sands and 7 oaks sound good. Swamp Oak still operating?

I saw OutbackOpaltours Grawin tour and thought that would be a good idea (due to hire regulations the van is meant to stay on sealed roads with the exception of access roads to commercial camp grounds). However I emailed them and it bounced. Can anyone recommend them? I have their ph number.

Other questions, best fossicking for places in the area? We'd of course love to come home with a massive sapphire :) but we'd also love some material suitable for lapidary, i.e. bigger than a pin head :)

Also is bagged sapphire wash worth buying?

Anyone with a 5 seater 4wd willing to take us on a tour for an affordable price or is it worth hiring a 4wd in the area, is this even possible?

Lastly (and sorry for so many question) any rough wholesalers in the area in case we fail in our fossicking or even if we don't :) ?

Thanks

drids

• ALF'er Gold Member
Re: Fossicking Lightning Ridge, Inverell and Glen Innes
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 12:59:47 PM »
Check out Glengarry when you are in Lightning Ridge. About 70k's out of town. These are the new opal diggings.

De11as

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 01:30:07 PM »
Hi

Is the road to Glengarry sealed?

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 04:27:58 PM »
Swamp Oak has changed its name back to Billabong Blue and is still operating  :)

Oh and welcome to ALF.  ;D

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

De11as

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 04:38:44 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, I did see Billabong Blue :)

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 08:02:37 AM »
Welcome to ALF De11as.  I can't comment on the NSW pay to dig sites, but my wife and I had what we classed as a good success from one up in Queensland.  There has been talk that the bags of wash are salted, but even if they are, is still a nice way to spend an afternoon.  We scored 27 small cutters out of 2-3 bags of wash. 

What part of Tassie are you from?  There are a few of us on the forum, nice to see another one.  Good luck and have a great trip.
Common sense isn't exactly common

De11as

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 12:20:09 PM »
thanks for the reply. Im in Hobart. This trip is the 'bravest' thing I've ever contemplated lol. As a single mother I want my boys to see some of this wonderful country but driving 2000 kms on my own … Anyway I am feeling confident thanks to other rockhounds both here and on Facebook being so generous with their advice.

Im hoping someone might tell me more about Bellata too. Just been reading about it might need to start another topic?

drids

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 07:41:10 PM »
The last few K's to Glengarry is unsealed but we managed to get in with a commodore wagon OK!!

De11as

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 07:47:52 PM »
A few k's might be too much to walk ….
Mmm I'm really hoping I can find a local at lightning ridge who might take us on a tour :)

The rented van is not meant off sealed roads … I guess it will be a judgement call and maybe what happens in the ridge …

Thanks

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 09:38:07 AM »
thanks for the reply. Im in Hobart. This trip is the 'bravest' thing I've ever contemplated lol. As a single mother I want my boys to see some of this wonderful country but driving 2000 kms on my own … Anyway I am feeling confident thanks to other rockhounds both here and on Facebook being so generous with their advice.

Im hoping someone might tell me more about Bellata too. Just been reading about it might need to start another topic?

A trip of 10.000 miiles starts with the first step.  I've been lucky enough to travel a fair bit on the mainland and can give you this advise; don't try and see everything on the one trip, take your time and enjoy the travel.  If you do find you llike the road trip, you'll probaly go back for  more next time.  If you try rushing everywhere to see everything you may find it very tiring and not want to do another trip.

As for Bellata, Lapis Lupinus and Snowman both have info on Bellata agates, I've seen photos in the gallery from Lapis and the real thing from Snowman.  They are worth the stop even if Bellata itself isn't.  If they don't reply here soon, drop them a personal message (PM).

It's a bit of a bummer about the gravel road thingy for the motor home, we had the same problem in 2012 so we hired a 4wd when we needed one, a bit expensive but got us to some great places!
Common sense isn't exactly common

De11as

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 01:09:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply Bellata is definitely on the must stop list now :) We have almost 2 weeks for the trip and are planning 3 nights in Lightning Ridge so hopefully we won't need to rush.

I am certainly open to hiring a 4wd in these area if it is possible. As I said also willing to pay for a local rock hound with 4wd :)

Several months left for me to research and ask questions.

NEW Question

Is it worth bringing some Tassie wood and fern to swap?

havarim

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 07:07:11 PM »
there are tours that operate in lightning ridge also the best caravan park is opposite the thermal pool.  the pools free hot spring.     there is a weekend market  where you can beat the commercial tourist prices im told. havent been to that but have enjoyed both my rips the the ridge. the people st the caravan park are very helpful with info and there is a small fossiciking area in the park.  safe trip

De11as

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 07:46:12 PM »
HI

Thanks for the reply, I found a tour operator today and will ask about the market hopefully it will be a saturday as we will be there wed-sat.

Recent Activities

Vale Woofa by fossickeract
[April 30, 2024, 09:59:12 PM]

Planning a trip to NT by Pete49
[April 30, 2024, 02:19:09 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Gemster
[April 29, 2024, 05:59:31 PM]

Tomahawk creek by Scratcher
[April 23, 2024, 06:35:53 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[April 22, 2024, 12:43:41 PM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations