collapse

Author Topic: Graves 5XL faceting machine  (Read 8487 times)

Butts

• ALF'er Gold Member
Graves 5XL faceting machine
« on: March 17, 2013, 12:08:09 AM »
Hi I purchased a Graves 5XL about a year ago from Aussie Sapphire after not having cut a stone for a long time. I have cut about 40 stones on the Graves since I had it so I am definetely no expert nor am I trying to pretend to be.

My previous machine was a G2 Gemmasta.

Is the Graves as good as the Gemmasta I would have to say No its not. Would I facet twice as well with a Gemmasta (given the price is about twice) I would say No I wouldnt.

Value for money wise the Graves is excellent and gives someone breaking into faceting a great opportunity to do so for a reasonable price.

What I like about the Graves:  Compact. Comes with a built in light on a flex stem. Easy to adjust on the mast and cheater, digital display for those bloody obscure angles that they use on a stone these days, Easy to maintain.

Not so good: grub screw method of holding dop in place, no reverse on the motor, harder to remove an 8" lap , water has a tendency to spray you if you dont have the guard on (eg 90 degree cutting and this water can potentially enter the wiring on the digital head (I use a rag around it to stop this)

Would I buy another one in the same circumstances as I was last year knowing what I do now. Yes I would this machine offers good cutting at a great entry price. It may be the "hyundai" of the fleet but hey hyundai's can still drive around Aussie without problem.

It is capable of more accuracy than I am so until I can facet better than it is capable off I will not be upgrading. If you have thought about buying one as your first machine and can afford it then I would say 'go for it"

Cheers Butts

steveo

• ALF'er VIP
Re: Graves 5XL faceting machine
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 08:59:11 AM »
  I also have one, about one and a half years, and the problems are me not the machine. I do think the read out could be less jumpy but I can get back to a facet very well so it's not a great problem. The only other problem I have is after the transfer, when I start my first set of facets on the crown I get about half my facets to match the girdle just fine but a quarter are off just a bit cw then the other quarter are off a bit ccw, it drives me crazy.
  O yes the water splash in to the slot, I have a piece of paper towel, thinking about a clear plastic under slot and above the wires running all under there. Just to cover wires not a lot so it won't cut off any air flow.
Steve

Gearloose

• ALF'er Platinum
    • Gearloose.com
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 09:35:48 AM »
when I start my first set of facets on the crown I get about half my facets to match the girdle just fine but a quarter are off just a bit cw then the other quarter are off a bit ccw, it drives me crazy.

One thing I have to ask and it might sound like a stupid question, but have you checked to see if the dops are straight? A dop that has been through a jam for example, could drive you crazy.  Roll them on a piece of glass, etc.

Another common Weird Thing is stone dust accumulating in the index notches.  Be sure they are kept clean..Use a toothbrush, etc.

steveo

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 12:32:55 PM »
I have cleaned the notches with the toothbrush but haven't checked dops. I will do the glass trick  since I remember some time back I did jam one.

Thanks
Steve

Ghost

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 05:03:25 PM »
Dops are a snug fit and not kicking up when the grub screw is tightened?

Locating mechanism (Flat or groove) is clean on both dops when transferring, likewise, both ends of transfer jig?

Regards

Ghost

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 06:02:28 PM »

We have been real happy with the Graves 5XL,Faceting Machines are nasty Beasts to sell thats why Many Lapidary Suppliers in the USA have stopped supplying them. They take massive amounts of time to sell and low margins but we love setting up new Facetors as its Fun and Rewarding.

Often customers expect that this Faceting machine will do all the Work but there is Skill and common sense involved. hotthirsty
  The 5XL is cheaper then a second hand machinen in most cases and I no which one I would pick,new with warranty and a good proven reputation :o
  The Graves 5XL has filled that lower Price point we have been after for some time without sacrificing the ability of the customer to keep improving to competition cutting on this unit.

Some Feedback online has mentioned bad service from Graves in the USA and I have to Say I got bloody Mad with them some Years ago about just that but as we are very large volume Dealers for Graves now we have a direct line to Peters Bat phone and we do get Support now ,that means we can support you without concerns.

Graves is the best starter machine at the lower price point, Facetron is the Best
all rounder if you can afford the slightly higher price.

But customers can have problems with any machine and we try our very best to help but usually when the new owner steps back and realize practice makes perfect and the machine is just one part of achieving great results,the Nut behind the Wheel makes the biggest contribution  ;)     

We tried the Jersey Instruments machines and they were a major disappointment and we dropped them ( company that started with Omni now called PATRIOT and TOM THUMB would welcolme customer feedback on these :-X

One Tip:
  We have struck 2 Transfer  Jigs out of alignment,the Grave Jigs are very Basic and usually do the Job but for Serious Facetors I suggest upgrading to a Facetron our Polymetric Jigs as they are Precision.
  Just put two Dops into your Graves Jig and move them together to Touch ,the Dops should Align,if not maybe a issue.

Just my Views from my experience,other views welcome thats what ALF is about.
Andrew

Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

Fullerton

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Friendly Heart Gems
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 09:35:49 PM »
I keep getting tempted to buy a faceting machine.

What puts me off is the lack of a club or person to learn from first hand. Some people says it's easy to pick up and learn yourself ... is it? And could you do so on a Graves 5XL or Facetron?
For Australian lapidary materials and gemstones  https://www.facebook.com/FriendlyHeartGems

Butts

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 11:56:05 PM »
Hi Fullerton

I am totally self taught because I was in the middle of the bush when I bought my first machine. I had a book I think it was by Soukup?? or similar name and i just sat down and went from there.  Trust me if I can learn then anyone can. The Graves is pretty simple so could not see a big problem.

I have always personally found the hardest thing was working out what to do with the stone to get the best yield/cut. Would suggest you start with easy material so you dont have to over-think it.

Fullerton

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Friendly Heart Gems
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 12:37:27 AM »
Thanks Butts. I managed to get a reasonable handle on cabbing so faceting will be an almost inevitable next step ... when I'm wealthy and brave enough.
For Australian lapidary materials and gemstones  https://www.facebook.com/FriendlyHeartGems

steveo

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 12:51:46 AM »
If I can you can Fullerton. I did have a teacher but I had only been cabbing for about a year so needed one more than you. We started out with round brilliant in quartz so was not so hard. Get a design sheet and follow it and lots of help on here.
Steve

Ghost

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 09:49:25 AM »
Self taught from the book by Soukup, on a very old machine.
I'm very very happy with my newish, Australian made Hall X-TRA, despite other peoples problems with the American OMNI, Patriot, Tom Thumb versions.
If I was buying from Aussie Sapphire only, I would probably go for the Facetron.

Ghost

steveo

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 05:10:01 AM »
  Any one make a quill that's like a drill (turns and holds down the dop to center ) that will fit the graves, or other ones that use the set screw? Did see another brand OVER $200.00 that might fit.
  Does it matter that much with the set screw pushing dop .001" or whatever?

Steve

Recent Activities

Vale Woofa by fossickeract
[April 30, 2024, 09:59:12 PM]

Planning a trip to NT by Pete49
[April 30, 2024, 02:19:09 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Gemster
[April 29, 2024, 05:59:31 PM]

Tomahawk creek by Scratcher
[April 23, 2024, 06:35:53 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[April 22, 2024, 12:43:41 PM]