collapse

Author Topic: Interesting Petrified Wood  (Read 13290 times)

tina

• ALF'er Gold Member
Interesting Petrified Wood
« on: March 31, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
Hi,

I found this piece of petrified wood a few weeks ago and thought I'd share it with you because to my mind it's fairly unique.  I've found plenty of petrified wood but so far none quite like this.  It has lots of intricate bands and whorls of wood grain in the dark coloured stone and has bands of a lighter coloured stone through it.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 02:36:41 PM by tina »

tina

• ALF'er Gold Member
Re: Interesting Petrified Wood
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 02:34:52 PM »
Here it is from another angle. :)

tina

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 06:16:39 PM »
Here's a piece I found today which seems 'opalescent' when it's wet.

[attachment deleted by admin]

tina

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 06:18:12 PM »
Another piece from my haul today. I thought it was a really nice rich red.

tina

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 06:20:24 PM »
I found this piece when I was collecting petrified wood.  Last time I found a piece with markings on the surface like that someone said it looked like petrified tree fern replaced by Jasper.  Can anyone shed any light on this one?

« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 06:35:03 PM by tina »

Fullerton

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Friendly Heart Gems
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 09:08:49 PM »
They all look very good pieces ... some really nice colour variation too.  They should cab very well and produce a high gloss polish.

There is lots of petrified wood around the place including qualities similar to what you are getting (and it is a very good quality).  I've found similar pieces in creeks near Toompine and Tambo in Queensland. Also found lots at Winton but most is not as good. 

Not sure what's going on with the last piece, sometimes it's too difficult to tell from  just a pic.
For Australian lapidary materials and gemstones  https://www.facebook.com/FriendlyHeartGems

tina

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 09:40:20 PM »
Hi Fullerton,

Thanks for the reply and appraisal of the pieces :)  In the area where I'm fossicking (Western Qld) you can pick up lots of brown/orange hued petrified wood, lots of it with good wood grain but generally not as much colour variation as the first piece pictured.  The piece I pictured with the 'opalescent' sheen is pretty typical of what you will find in the area in terms of colour, although most don't tend to have that sheen to them.  It's good to know there's some nice varied coloured pieces out there waiting for me :)   

tina

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 10:22:13 PM »
Is anyone out there willing to take a stab in the dark about 'Petrified Wood 012'?  I'm just super curious about it.  I realise that doing an identification off a photo isn't optimal.   I will try to upload some more photos of it from different angles.

Here's a bit of a description: the stone is approx. 10 x 5 x 4cm. It is a light orange-brown colour although the colour is not uniform.  There are mottled areas with whitish, reddish and dark brownish patches (not sure if these show up in a photo).  Three sides have the markings which I spoke of earlier, the other is smooth.

Cheers :)

Fullerton

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Friendly Heart Gems
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 10:34:27 PM »
The opalescent piece sounds interesting too ... that would be good to see firsthand.

The Toompine material had great colour too. Some pieces at Winton, although often lacking colour, do have areas of wonderful translucency.

There comes a point where you quickly acquire too much petrified wood  :-\ It doesn't necessarily stop you collecting them, you just have to get a little more fussy! I suppose once you have made a few cabs, getting some tumbled would be worthwhile.

Anything with good colour (I like reds), good colour variation and contrast, patterning (eg. wood grain) and uniqueness (eg. wood knots, branch joints, exterior bark texture, etc) is worth keeping an eye out for.

Will have another look at 012 ... I was midway through this and wanted to post it first.
For Australian lapidary materials and gemstones  https://www.facebook.com/FriendlyHeartGems

Fullerton

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Friendly Heart Gems
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 10:37:54 PM »
012 ...  :-\

I'd have to see a fresh sawn slab off it before guessing.

tina

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »
Thanks for the pointers about petrified wood.  I am particularly fond of the dark red pieces too.  I've found one piece of petrified tree fern which I put up on the forum a while ago and I'm always on the look out for more of that because it is just stunning.

Thanks for having a look at 012.  It looks like it'll be a mystery for a while longer...

The Rock Hunter

• ALF'er VIP
  • Rock hunting and loveing it :)
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 02:15:22 AM »
I found this piece when I was collecting petrified wood.  Last time I found a piece with markings on the surface like that someone said it looked like petrified tree fern replaced by Jasper.  Can anyone shed any light on this one?

looks like a brain too me :D sorry maybe jasper
hunting rocks

tina

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 12:26:45 PM »
Hi,
Yeah I figured it would be some type of Jasper - just not the attractive kind lol.  Now you say it, it does look a bit like a brain!

Below is the piece which I was informed is most likely jasper replaced petrified tree fern (for a comparison between the two).

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 01:28:58 PM »
Now the one above looks like it has fern or palm markings on it. :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

tina

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 02:10:01 PM »
As a complete novice, what I'm wanting to get to know is how to differentiate the little circular type markings on jasper-replaced petrified tree fern from the little circular markings made on regular jasper by the forces of nature? 
Also is jasper - replaced petrified tree as collectable as regular petrified tree fern (as below)?

Recent Activities

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by opal light
[Today at 10:07:16 AM]

Blue Hills quarry and Sapphire bend access at Oberon by opal light
[Today at 09:46:26 AM]

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[March 28, 2024, 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose
[March 28, 2024, 01:41:37 AM]

New mast and quill assembly by RoughCreations
[March 27, 2024, 08:46:05 AM]

Lapidary Industry Turmoil in the USA by tinker