collapse

Author Topic: Online Mineral Identification  (Read 5379 times)

karmazon

Online Mineral Identification
« on: July 09, 2013, 09:03:32 AM »
Hi guys and gals, I have created an online mineral identification tool for rockhounds. You can find it right here: http://whatmineral.com/ I'd appreciate if anyone had any feedback for me, I want to make this as useful as possible. I hope this isn't considered spam as I'm not selling anything, just trying to help out. Thanks.
PS: The site might load slow right now as I'm getting slammed with traffic so please be patient

daz

• ALF'er Silver Member
Re: Online Mineral Identification
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 10:05:21 AM »
Awsome pictures and info.
Only took around 1 minute to load all the pics. Great work thanks.

darttrev68

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • Curnamona Minerals
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 12:50:48 PM »
Not bad at all. Its a good starting point to identification of common minerals. It would be handy for a person starting out in mineral collecting. More advanced collectors should already know a lot of what is on here. Good descriptions of the different physical properties of minerals. This is something you need to know, if you are going to try testing the mineral you have found. I like the elimination style tests, could add a "reset all" button (which the "Home" button does anyway)

Cheers, from my little piece of the Australian Outback...
For mineral samples from the Broken Hill, Olary and Mount Painter districts checkout my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/curnamonaminerals

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 03:20:41 PM »
Another one that may be of interest is

http://www.gemdat.org/gemindex.php

and for gems
http://gemologyproject.com/wiki/index.php?title=Table_Of_Contents

They may have been put up before
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

toppster

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 07:51:54 PM »
Looks pretty good ,the only thing I find with id books,websites is that they only show you museum quality pieces and only one photo of one specimen not several different forms of the one mineral and not the ordinary pieces that are most common which makes it harder to identify than it should be.Anyone else had this trouble also?

RockAwayTX

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 09:12:48 PM »
Great~!!
I did not see chrysoprase, though.

darttrev68

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • Curnamona Minerals
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 02:34:36 AM »
If you count all of the minerals in the list there is only around 220. Where are the other 4400? As I said before, this is a good starting point for a new collector as it helps identify some of the more common minerals.

Chrysoprase is not that common and technically it is not a stand alone mineral species - as it is nickel-bearing chalcedony. It is a "sub-variety" of chalcedony (cryptocrystalline quartz), so it may not be listed in this program. Most of the true varieties of quartz are there as well as chalcedony and agate. When you read the chalcedony page it says in the list of colours that it may be green - chrysoprase.
For mineral samples from the Broken Hill, Olary and Mount Painter districts checkout my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/curnamonaminerals

darttrev68

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • Curnamona Minerals
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 02:47:39 AM »
Toppster,

I agree! Where are all the pictures of the crappy, run of the mill pieces we can use for reference? Most experienced collectors have learnt to identify something because they gave it to someone else and asked "what the hell is this?" The problem with these museum quality pictures is that we fossickers rarely find anything of that quality. Most often it is a speck or stain on a piece of rock, which in Australia is usually covered in red iron oxide. I'm not a huge fan of these ID programs, however if it allows you to narrow down the probable suspects then it is a good start.

I also don't pick up as much crap as I did when I first started collecting. Now I seem to be the one that other people give their crappy rock to, and ask "what the hell is this?" Usually my answer is "leaverite"

Trev

Recent Activities

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by As I in does tries!
[April 25, 2024, 03:37:25 PM]

Tomahawk creek by Scratcher
[April 23, 2024, 06:35:53 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[April 22, 2024, 12:43:41 PM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[April 21, 2024, 06:45:47 PM]

Garnet by pc bowe
[April 20, 2024, 01:56:47 AM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[April 20, 2024, 01:46:57 AM]

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank