collapse

Author Topic: The prospect of going fossicking  (Read 4271 times)

Kevin

The prospect of going fossicking
« on: July 31, 2013, 03:05:29 PM »
We are in the middle of a trip up from down south through the Birdsville track and are currently at Normanton, we will be heading off to the Lava Tunnels and then up to Cooktown, from there we will be making our way south and plan to eventually call by Emerald and Sapphire with the hope that we can hook up with a tour to go searching for sapphire, do you know any one who  runs any tours or have contact with someone who could cater for a group of five seniors with no skills or equipment but would like to go fossicking.
We dont mind going on dirt roads but we are not equiped for full blown 4x4 driving
We think we could be around Emerald / Sapphire in a couple of weeks around second week in August 2013.
Thanks in anticipation

fossickeract

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
Re: The prospect of going fossicking
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 03:13:08 PM »
Hi Kevin,
    A call in at the Mt Surprise gemshop not far from the lava tunnels be worthwhile as they run topaz fossicking tours on their claim.
  http://www.thegemden.com.au/
                                  beers Ted
Life isn't a rehearsal.

Bluey Zarzoff

• ALF'er VIP
  • Experience you get - just after you needed it
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 03:23:46 PM »
If you are planning to be at the Gemfields in mid August, then it may be an idea to keep in mind that Gemfest is on from the 8th to the 11th of August.

Highly recommended and well worth trying to fit it in the itinerary.

Will pm you the contact details of a chap that does tag-along fossicking tours to Glenava.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 08:56:34 AM by Bluey Zarzoff »
I started out with nothing
And still have most of it left.

-----------------------------------
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Jay

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 07:23:06 AM »
Hi Kevin, While on the Gemfields call in to Fascination, in Rubyvale.  Keith runs tag-a-long tours which can be productive.  You follow him in your vehicle and he supplies all tools required. I think morning tea also!!!  You can always go to a bucket wash, for example Pat's Gems in Sapphire a very popular experience for the learner.  If you can make Gemfest 8th - 11th August, you will see some outstanding stones amongst other items.  Call into our Lapidary Club (new) in Sapphire and say hello we will help you wherever we can.  Hope you enjoy your stay here with us....Janine

Bluey Zarzoff

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 08:57:18 AM »
Hi Janine.Keith is the one I have in mind as well.

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Jay

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 05:52:49 PM »
Hi Bluey, Saw Keith today and checked on the tours.  There is no change , so it's a goer.

Bluey Zarzoff

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 06:44:55 PM »
Hi Bluey, Saw Keith today and checked on the tours.  There is no change , so it's a goer.

Hi Janine. Sorry I couldn't spend longer at the opening.

I have pm'ed Keith's phone number to Kevin. He has emailed me and is trying to stitch Gemfest in with his visit here. Think we may have to wear our ALF caps to Gemfest and see who puts their and up.

By the way. Getting some nice stones from the new dip I have found the other day. will post a pic of the wash layer later.

Jay

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 07:23:37 PM »
Well done for helping Kevin out.  As I have already poste,d that ground looks good to me  Absolutely burnt out, Had a stall at the Big Day Out at the MPC today and really looking for the comfort of my bed.  Don't forget the meeting Monday night at 5.30 at the new shed... Janine

Bluey Zarzoff

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 07:46:51 PM »
Will see you there.

Kevin

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 08:25:50 PM »
Thank you folks for your assistance, we called by Mt Surprise and enjoyed a visit there and   have reached our most northern destination at Cooktown,we are now on our southward journey and expect to be in Rubyvale on the 17th Aug through to 20th Aug. I will be in touch with Keith at Facination Rubyvale and see what we can set up,
Thank you to all who have helped with some excellent guidance and look forward to what ever the fossicing gods will bless us with, we did a similar thing at Gem Tree a couple of years ago and came home with a nice selection of Garnets and a number of nice plum color Zircons
Janine I will see what we can do to catch up while we are in the area.
Kevin G
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 08:33:15 PM by Kevin »

Kevin

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 05:19:21 PM »
Well we have had our trip to the Gem Fields and thanks to Keith and David at Fascination Rubyvale the five of us have grovelled around at Keiths patch at Glenalva and after a few blisters and tired muscles over a couple of half days we were lucky to have found a number of cuttable stones each, so we are very happy with the help and support that we were given by Keith out in the field and David back in the shop.
Thanks again folks for the contacts and for the experience
Kevin and the travel team.

Jay

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 05:55:14 PM »
Hi Kevin,   So glad you were able to experience the actual mining procedure and lucky enough to find a couple of cutters at the same time.  Keith and Dave are quite knowledgeable on the area.   

Recent Activities

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by As I in does tries!
[April 25, 2024, 03:37:25 PM]

Tomahawk creek by Scratcher
[April 23, 2024, 06:35:53 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[April 22, 2024, 12:43:41 PM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[April 21, 2024, 06:45:47 PM]

Garnet by pc bowe
[April 20, 2024, 01:56:47 AM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[April 20, 2024, 01:46:57 AM]

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank