collapse

Author Topic: Turquoise  (Read 14053 times)

Wwoofa

• ALF'er VIP
    • Wwoofa
Turquoise
« on: December 01, 2013, 05:18:36 PM »
Hi,
This month's "Gem of the Month" is .... Turquoise.

Feel free to add more info & pics. If anyone has any questions about Turquoise then this is a good place to post them.

You might like to change your "Gem of the Month" votes now that this one has been covered.

General Information:
Turquoise is an opaque, blue-to-green mineral that is a hydrous phosphate of copper and aluminium.  It is rare and valuable in finer grades and has been prized as a gem and ornamental stone for thousands of years owing to its unique hue.  The word Turquoise, which dates to the 16th century, is derived from an Old French word for "Turkish", because the mineral was first brought to Europe from Turkey.

Here are a few useful links that should cover all of the main information.

Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turquoise
Mindat - http://www.mindat.org/min-4060.html
Gemdat - http://www.gemdat.org/gem-4060.html
Minerals.Net - http://www.minerals.net/mineral/turquoise.aspx

Fossicking Locations:
There are several minor locations in Australia where Turquoise can still be found, however, probably the best known is Ammaroo Station in NT.

NT - Ammaroo Station
Ammaroo Station is 350 kilometres north-east of Alice Springs along the Sandover Highway, in the Sandover region.  It is found in the far western section of the huge Georgina Basin.  Specimens of turquoise from the station are found in the Museum of Victoria and the Australian Museum.

[smg id=6318 type=preview align=center width=400 caption="Ammaroo Station Turquoise"]

NSW - Narooma
This is an old fossicking location on the south coast located just off the Princes Highway approx. 3km from the small town of Bodalla.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 05:20:48 PM by Wwoofa »

pegatha

• ALF'er Platinum
  • Walking sticks rock in creeks.
Re: Turquoise
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 12:25:51 PM »
Years ago we found turquoise  on a property near Cheshunt in Victoria. It is on the King Valley road below Whitfield. Always mean to go back but have never got around to it. Pretty colours. It was in a vertical ridge of slate. I dont know what other stone it would be.
Pegatha

Wwoofa

• ALF'er VIP
    • Wwoofa
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 04:33:12 PM »
I saw some nice Turquoise from the Chestnut area for sale once ... on eBay I think?

Here's a link with a few other places in NSW & Vic .... http://www.turquoiseguide.com/articles/turquoise/sources/australia.htm

MALACHI

• ALF'er VIP
  • Live long and prospect
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 06:25:17 PM »
Thanks for the great link on Turquoise Wwoofa.

Now the question that goes begging is. How many (especially the Victorian) sites are accessible to clubs.  I would imagine that some clubs near these sites would possibly have some special arrangements with the land owners.

If this is the case, are there times when one of these privileged and lucky clubs, would be prepared to invite another club along on their fieldtrip, and only when the arrangement has been made through the respective Field Officers.
  Would love some positive feedback to pass on to my club field officer, but if none is posted, that’s fair enough too.

Mario  beers

GRAHAM PINNEY

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 11:32:15 AM »
Anyone know anything about this site 3km from Bodalla (I assume on the Narooma side)?
off Princes Hwy.

GRAHAM PINNEY

tinker

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 04:48:10 PM »
Yes Graham Pinney, I know about the Torquoise Deposit and the old fella that owners the mine will not let anyone on the property after he caught to fellas using a dredge on his creek about fifteen years ago.

I found some Torquoise on the road he lives on in a cutting on the side of the lake, mate but I can't remember the name of the road.  I know how to get there, but thats no good to you.   All I can say is that the site is north of Narooma on the Princes Hwy, about 10ks north there is a saw mill on your right hand side of the Hwy, just past the sawmill is a dirt road, follow that for about another 10k's and on your  right again there is a boat ramp in the cutting to the north of the boat ramp is where I found the Torquoise, not that good a quality but i didn't stay there too long as there were a crowd of fishermen launching their boats.

If I find out the name of the road I will get back to you. ;)

GRAHAM PINNEY

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 10:56:08 AM »
Thanks might go for a drive as I am new to area and don't know of too many places down on the far south coast to feed my passion. Know anywhere else for anything would be nice?????

MrSydney

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 12:47:40 PM »
There is interesting fossilised wood etc at Kangaroo valley - just google it and search here.

A bit further afield you can go up the mountain and across to Grabben Gullen for sapphires but that is several hours - so a weekend trip maybe.

GRAHAM PINNEY

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 11:21:13 AM »
Thanks .... used to go to grabben gullen 1000 years ago and got heaps - on private property then - went back a cupla years ago but can only go to the specific area near the bridge - spent a day and got next to nothing. Sadly like a lot of places ... now inaccessible. Went to Coalcliff beach cupla weeks ago and found heaps of really nice petrified wood.

harryopal

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 12:04:28 AM »
Like so many other stones it is interesting how they vary from country to country or even regionally or from mine to mine. Koroit opal for example is so distinctive that material can be pretty much recognized as being from a particular mine.
North American turquoise is more often a bluish green. Tibetan turquoise is much darker green and often infused with black and varying patterns.
I suspect that Australian turquoise might well have distinctive regional characteristics.
harryopal

glot

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 05:10:36 PM »
The Australian Turquoise comes with a free stubby holder.

Navneetgems

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2020, 05:17:07 PM »
Turquoise is a combination of aluminum, copper and phosphate with a good hardness on mohs scale (6). It comes in sky blue to green blue color.

For more information, Read at https://www.navneetgems.com/wholesale-turquoise-gemstones/

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 09:19:59 AM »
Okay all you Turquoise lovers, a little practical test for you all.
Natural Sleeping Beauty turquoise, so no reconstit, dyed etc...just the raw natural stuff that you really know to be Natural untreated. Now get a good magnet, eg out of a dead hard-drive...  does it drag the turquoise? If so, what weight of stone is it you're able to do this with?
Keep em comin!!!

Recent Activities

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank
[April 17, 2024, 12:26:26 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Rusted
[April 17, 2024, 10:06:30 AM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[April 17, 2024, 04:41:41 AM]

Victorian Copper Minerals by Manficat
[April 16, 2024, 03:44:27 PM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by RoughCreations
[April 10, 2024, 06:17:37 PM]