collapse

Author Topic: Metal Detector  (Read 10700 times)

1971sharyn

• ALF'er Platinum
Metal Detector
« on: February 12, 2014, 06:54:58 AM »
Ok, I am looking for information as to the best, cheapest Metal Detector (second hand is ok) for going over both my properties and more than likely the Thanes area.  I will be looking for Alluvial gold (I am told).  I have had a bit of a look on ebay at the Minelab's & Garrets but have no idea which is what and then there are so many different coils etc.  What do I need for a basic set up that isn't going to take me 40years to get my money back? ($600 max)
Cheers
Shaz

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
Re: Metal Detector
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 07:40:29 PM »
Hi 1971Sharyn you will get plenty of opinions at this site
http://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewforum.php?id=26
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

marty

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 10:02:53 PM »
This is another good one.

http://golddetecting.4umer.net/
                                                                      MARTY

Gem Ranger

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 12:35:10 AM »
Hi Sharyn,

I know your focusing on gold but I suggest considering coins and relics as well. Metal detectors are largely grouped into one or the other. Its a case of the right tool for the right job. There are however a few cross over units that do both, like the Garret AT Gold and the Minelab XTerra 705.
The cheapest gold detector that I know of is the Gold Snoop but when it comes to finding gold I think you'll need to spend $1000+ on a unit to have a reasonable hope of finding any. You might get an old Minelab SD for around that mark.
I've found chasing coins and relics with my ETrac far more exciting and within 6 months had the unit paid for. If your looking for the cheapest, best and readily available coin detector try the Garrett ATPro.
I originally started on a cheap detector and found very little. When I stepped it up to an ETrac it changed the game. So cheap isn't always best but remember results are dependant on the effort you put in.

Best of luck

GR

Findem

• ALF'er VIP
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 08:02:25 AM »
You will enjoy exploring this site - Australian Metal Detecting and Relic Hunting. http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/
You'll find me there as Findem too.
I'm not into looking for gold (specifically, that is!).

1971sharyn

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 02:42:43 PM »
You will enjoy exploring this site - Australian Metal Detecting and Relic Hunting. http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/
You'll find me there as Findem too.
I'm not into looking for gold (specifically, that is!).
How cool is that forum  8) 8)

1971sharyn

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 02:45:32 PM »
Thanks guys, there is a guy on Gumtree at Sunnybank that sells second hand MD's so might give him a call after a bit more research.
So am I better off getting the coin/relic ones? Do they find gold as well?
Sorry for the really dumb questions, but they are coming from a blonde  ;D

Speckee

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 06:09:59 PM »
Hey sharyn

Best minelab ya could hope for under $1000 would be an SD2000-2100 series. getting hard to find as they're still a very good detector.
I use a Garrett Infinium LS. Try and get Pulse induction, not VLF. VLF are really only good for searching parks and the beach.

The Garrett will match or out-perform an SD minelab, and it's not 20+years old. Be wary if you buy off ebay. The garretts that are sold in the USA are set up differently to the import ones. Ours (Australian import) get specific settings at the Garrett factory to deal with heavy mineralised ground.

My first outing with it I scored an old tool dump in the upper reaches of the Clarence river. Axe head, 5 pick heads, timber splitter and an old mallet head that has seem some major use in it's day. Property owner estimated over 100 years old, as it had been that long since mining and timber cutting had happened in the area. Was found at nearly 2 feet down and signal nearly popped my ears.

3/4gram nugget was also found with this detector at about 18inches depth, very good signal (nugget is about half the size of my pinky nail, maybe bit smaller, so they do find small gold at good depths)

Would be more than happy to bring it down one afternoon so you and hubby can have a look and play so you can get an idea.

Mine was bought new at Uptons camping Browns Plains(Garrett dealer for Brisbane). Alternatively, there's Brisbane Gold at Underwood. They are the current minelab dealers in Brisbane. Pricey though (it is minelab after all)

Hope this helps ya out

1971sharyn

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 07:31:57 PM »
Hey sharyn

Best minelab ya could hope for under $1000 would be an SD2000-2100 series. getting hard to find as they're still a very good detector.
I use a Garrett Infinium LS. Try and get Pulse induction, not VLF. VLF are really only good for searching parks and the beach.

The Garrett will match or out-perform an SD minelab, and it's not 20+years old. Be wary if you buy off ebay. The garretts that are sold in the USA are set up differently to the import ones. Ours (Australian import) get specific settings at the Garrett factory to deal with heavy mineralised ground.

My first outing with it I scored an old tool dump in the upper reaches of the Clarence river. Axe head, 5 pick heads, timber splitter and an old mallet head that has seem some major use in it's day. Property owner estimated over 100 years old, as it had been that long since mining and timber cutting had happened in the area. Was found at nearly 2 feet down and signal nearly popped my ears.

3/4gram nugget was also found with this detector at about 18inches depth, very good signal (nugget is about half the size of my pinky nail, maybe bit smaller, so they do find small gold at good depths)

Would be more than happy to bring it down one afternoon so you and hubby can have a look and play so you can get an idea.

Mine was bought new at Uptons camping Browns Plains(Garrett dealer for Brisbane). Alternatively, there's Brisbane Gold at Underwood. They are the current minelab dealers in Brisbane. Pricey though (it is minelab after all)

Hope this helps ya out
SWEEEET mate that would be great as I have no idea whatsoever and have never even held one...I was looking at the Garrett AT Pro and the Whites MXT and am still sooooo confused, call it a blonde thing.  Will have to sort out a good time over the next month, it's pretty hectic here at the moment as hubby is working 6 days and on the Sunday he is going to the farm (Pratten) to feed & water the cows  ::)

Speckee

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 07:36:19 PM »
Np sharyn. Just pm me details, etc. My life is always flexible.

1971sharyn

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 08:12:50 AM »
Np sharyn. Just pm me details, etc. My life is always flexible.
No Worries mate, will do :)

1971sharyn

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 09:29:44 AM »
Woohooo I finally got myself a Metal Detector  ;D ;D ;D a Whites MXT E Series, now I just need to apply for a pilots licence to fly it LMAO show me the Money  ;D

Jamo

• ALF'er VIP
  • Gippsland Rocks!
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 10:38:19 PM »
Fun times ahead Sharyn. Hope you do well.  :)
Baaa humbug, not enough fossicking time!

1971sharyn

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 07:34:44 AM »
Thanks mate so do I.  Have to give hubby some reason to smile after paying for it LOL  ;D

Jamo

• ALF'er VIP
  • Gippsland Rocks!
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 09:22:36 AM »
Thanks mate so do I.  Have to give hubby some reason to smile after paying for it LOL  ;D

Tell him you're using it for exercise ... to get out and about to keep trim & terrific for him! That should keep him satisfied.  ;D
Baaa humbug, not enough fossicking time!

Recent Activities

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by opal light
[Today at 10:07:16 AM]

Blue Hills quarry and Sapphire bend access at Oberon by opal light
[Today at 09:46:26 AM]

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[March 28, 2024, 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose
[March 28, 2024, 01:41:37 AM]

New mast and quill assembly by RoughCreations
[March 27, 2024, 08:46:05 AM]

Lapidary Industry Turmoil in the USA by tinker