collapse

Author Topic: How to build an up and over/automatic mine hoist  (Read 14330 times)

drdjw

• ALF'er Bronze Member
  • Mad keen sapphire hunter!
How to build an up and over/automatic mine hoist
« on: March 21, 2014, 09:24:30 AM »
G'day Everyone,

I'm brand new to the forum and have spent most of yesterday admiring the wisdom that is shared here.
I'm looking into building an up and over/autohoist/automatic mine hoist.
Would anybody have any close up pictures of the motor and pulley mechanism that runs this equipment?
I've been looking at them on the gemfields now for years, but never taken a photo close enough to work out the mechanism.
I've included the attached PDF which has a nice line drawing of one of these small scale mine hoists.
If anyone has any information or pictures that they could share, it would be very much appreciated!  ;)

Cheers!

Bluey Zarzoff

• ALF'er VIP
  • Experience you get - just after you needed it
Re: How to build an up and over/automatic mine hoist
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 11:15:45 AM »
I will get some close ups of mine for you later.
I started out with nothing
And still have most of it left.

-----------------------------------
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

drdjw

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 07:25:59 PM »
Thanks Bluey, looking forward to it!

Bluey Zarzoff

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 02:17:20 PM »
Finally got just enough internet to get these images on.Sorry about the delay.

The first image is of the rig in general, showing the rails, the return bar yup top to assist in the bucket getting back to vertical, and other stuff.

The next image is simply showing the bucket. It can basicall be any size or shape, depending on your needs. this one is just bid enough to empty a wheelbarrow in it.

Now for the detail of the lifting setup. The next 2 images shows how a standard car diff is used. this is a common practice to use a diff.

Where the tailshaft would normally go is where the input is in place. On one wheel end the drum and wire is bolted on. The other wheel end is the braking.

On this rig, a simple disc brake setup was built.

In a lot of instances, where you get an old diff with drum brakes, the drum brake is left on on this side. Then it is a simple matter of hooking a wire to the handbrake lever and pulling on that.

The idea is that when the brake is off, the weight of the bucket stops the wire side from spinning and the brake side will rotate. When the brake is applied, this will then stop that side of the diff and the other side, with the wire, will start rotating and then lift the bucket.

You will notice some hydraulic piping on the wire side of the diff. This is to slow the descent of the bucket without having to feather the brake while the bucket is going down.

It is simply a small hydraulic motor that is being used in reverse so to speak. Oil goes in the motor and on the hose coming out of the motor has a tap fitted to it. This tap is used to restrict the oil flow and thus causing resistance in the hydro motor. Quite a simple setup really and allows you to adjust the speed that the bucket goes down.

I will let you take all that in and if you need more detail of anything, let me know.

Cheers.
Mark

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

drdjw

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 03:11:23 PM »
Thanks Mark,

Those pictures are perfect, it's surprising how simple the process is once you understand it!

Have you got any idea how they automate hoists?
I've heard about some slip belt designs down at Lightning Ridge, have you ever seen those before?

Thanks again for the photos!

Cheers,
Dylan

Bluey Zarzoff

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 06:32:01 PM »
Don't know about that.

what mine has is a length of steel with a knob on it that locks into place once the wire is pulled for the bucket to lift. I then have a cable attached to the pivot return which is adjustable and is hooked up to the steel lock. When the bucket reaches the hopper, the cable pulls the steel lever up and releases the brake.

So, in effect, I pull the cable once, then the bucket will travel up, tip out, release,  and return without me needing to hold the cable or feather the brake on the way down. Not that hard to set up. Will get a couple of shots for you.

The Rock Hunter

• ALF'er VIP
  • Rock hunting and loveing it :)
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 10:51:11 AM »
great info and images thanks for shareing it with us bluey  beers
hunting rocks

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 10:03:20 PM »
I always used to love watching those things work as a kid. We never needed one because we were only down about 8 feet then and I'm no deeper now at the new place. Still, even in a hole that shallow it would be a lot easier and quicker to use that to take it to the trommel. Maybe in the future..........

drdjw

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 12:49:07 PM »
So, in effect, I pull the cable once, then the bucket will travel up, tip out, release,  and return without me needing to hold the cable or feather the brake on the way down. Not that hard to set up. Will get a couple of shots for you.

Thats great, I figured there must have been some form of set up like that! Thanks a lot Mark!

Bluey Zarzoff

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 11:45:33 AM »
Here are some shots showing more detail.

This gives you an idea of the setup to actuate the brake.

this shows how the brake is released. The pivoting bar goes forward when the bucket goes to the discharge chute. The release cable is attached.

Finally, a bit of a close-up of the hydraulic setup to regulate the speed of return of the bucket.

drdjw

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 10:17:19 AM »
Thats great Bluey! Thanks again for some awesome photos!
I've found a picture of the belt slip up and over drive that Knud Nexo designed after developing the diff system: http://ashet.org.au/lightning-ridge-project/hoisting/
The wire that is on the underside of the lever goes down the hole, and the upper one is triggered by the bucket return arm at the top of the track.
The braking for the bucket on the way down is be means of disengaging the drive belt, and the hydraulic pump method which retards the winch spool speed.

Cdoublen

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 12:09:23 PM »
Hi all good people!

I'm rally interested in something like this kind of hoisting system. I'm have no background in mechanics. Can anyone help me to understand how the system works? I would highly appreciate if you can provide me with a sketch to explain how the system works. I would like to build something like this.

Thanks all.

Recent Activities

Garnet by pc bowe
[Today at 01:56:47 AM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[Today at 01:46:57 AM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by TheRockThief
[April 19, 2024, 06:05:36 PM]

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank
[April 17, 2024, 12:26:26 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Rusted
[April 17, 2024, 10:06:30 AM]