collapse

Author Topic: Blue fluorite? - UV pink  (Read 4932 times)

aussiegems1984

• ALF'er Bronze Member
Blue fluorite? - UV pink
« on: November 09, 2014, 09:55:18 AM »
Hi I would love to identify this Clear blue faceted stone I found while sea glass hunting.
2.65 ct on digital scales
8mm square
Found in what I think is brass 4 claw bezel(very worn) so I took it out.
When I put this stone in my hand it appears green under UV light as in picture shown inside cup. (DARK OR LIGHT CONDITIONS)
Also another pic of being green when in my hand whilst using UV- SHOWING GREEN
But when I place on white background it is see-thru pinkish purple.
I have scratched with a chunky sharp piece of quartz (it scratched it) so it rules out sapphire I guess.
Used 20x loupe- NO inclusions, striae lines or bubbles just a little bit of worn surface on stone.

UV light used- 390-395nm
ID needed please :)

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
Re: Blue fluorite? - UV pink
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 12:03:02 PM »
Welcome to ALF aussiegems1984/aussiefossils84  :)
Most probably fluorite. Do a specific gravity test.
See http://www.johnbetts-fineminerals.com/jhbnyc/articles/specific_gravity.htm

:)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Gem Ranger

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 02:06:52 PM »
Like JJ said, welcome to the forum AussieGems

Re the stone you found, considering it was found in a brass setting, its more likely to be a synthetic stone rather than natural, perhaps a glass paste of sort with a colouring dye. These colouring dyes often fluoresce well and may explain your observations. Its very unlikely that the stone is fluorite as its very soft and rarely faceted and if you found it on a gravelly beach, faceted fluorite would have been smashed to pieces within a few storm events. Regarding the scratch test, it stands to reason quartz (hardness 7) would scratch paste (hardness 6 to 6.5).

Given that you were able to simply speck this ring whilst looking for sea glass I'd be asking what else is hiding beneath the gravel. If the area is still eroded, consider grabbing yourself a metal detector and see what you can find. I've found many silver, copper and even a few gold coins doing just that. A Minelab multifrequency detector is your best bet as they cut through much of the interference caused by saltwater.

Cheers,
GR

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 04:29:55 PM »
I will go along with the comments of Gem Ranger  :) beers  I tend to forget how soft fluorite is and how a mate put some in a tumbler once with some harder material and it all but disappeared.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

aussiegems1984

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 11:43:07 PM »
Welcome to ALF aussiegems1984/aussiefossils84  :)
Most probably fluorite. Do a specific gravity test.
See http://www.johnbetts-fineminerals.com/jhbnyc/articles/specific_gravity.htm

:)

Thanks for that information i am trying to do as the link says and I'm not sure if right would you please help me out? :)

On digital scales it is  0.56 divide 0.20 = 2.8 is this correct? 
Also how do I work out what type mineral after that? :)

Here is a few more pictures of bezel and stone if it helps any

aussiegems1984

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 11:56:54 PM »

Re the stone you found, considering it was found in a brass setting, its more likely to be a synthetic stone rather than natural, perhaps a glass paste of sort with a colouring dye. These colouring dyes often fluoresce well and may explain your observations. Its very unlikely that the stone is fluorite as its very soft and rarely faceted and if you found it on a gravelly beach, faceted fluorite would have been smashed to pieces within a few storm events. Regarding the scratch test, it stands to reason quartz (hardness 7) would scratch paste (hardness 6 to 6.5).

Given that you were able to simply speck this ring whilst looking for sea glass I'd be asking what else is hiding beneath the gravel. If the area is still eroded, consider grabbing yourself a metal detector and see what you can find. I've found many silver, copper and even a few gold coins doing just that. A Minelab multifrequency detector is your best bet as they cut through much of the interference caused by saltwater.

Cheers,
GR

Cheers,
GR

Cheers,
GR

Yes that is what i think too may be synthetic.
 I have found another stone but red in same area plus Pennies and other sorts of coins, the coins are very worn of coarse.
I am going to hire a metal detector this week and go back hopefully find some goodies :)

Gem Ranger

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 12:37:03 AM »
Very good AussieGems,

I hope you find some nice coins and perhaps some gold jewellery. Remember not to use any discrimination at the beach, you'll knock out the good stuff. You'll no doubt find many sinkers but persevere and I'm sure you'll do ok. If you are new to detecting and have a low end machine the salt water falsing might get frustrating. Turning down the sensitivity might be your only option. You'll loose depth but the machine will settle down enough to hear the repeatable signals.
If you don't mind me asking, and without mentioning a specific location, which Australian state are you in?

Regards,
GR

aussiegems1984

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 01:03:25 AM »
Thanks I'll keep that in mind,
I'm in Queensland :)

9gemweb

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 08:07:46 PM »
The stone is really Beautiful....it seems a synthetic one to me too....I have got something by which you can recognize whether its natural or not. Go to this link : http://www.9gem.com/blog/2013/12/31/4-things-will-clear-difference-real-gemstones-synthetic-ones/ Its really beneficial one.

Recent Activities

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Jimnyjerry
[May 01, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

Vale Woofa by Jimnyjerry
[May 01, 2024, 10:25:49 PM]

Planning a trip to NT by tinker
[May 01, 2024, 04:44:04 PM]

Tomahawk creek by Scratcher
[April 23, 2024, 06:35:53 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[April 22, 2024, 12:43:41 PM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations