collapse

Author Topic: Diamond polish  (Read 8743 times)

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
Diamond polish
« on: December 12, 2014, 06:05:10 AM »
Hi Leah.

I'm after #60 000 diamond polish for the spare canvas pad on the Cabking. Is the Diastik suitable to apply to a canvas pad or will I actually need to get the powder and mix it with vaseline or something to apply?

Cheers.

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
Re: Diamond polish
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 04:35:50 PM »
 A Diastick would work fine but the cheapest way to get Cabbing Diamond is to buy Powder
and mix your own Paste with a variety of carriers like Vasaline .
 Keep the Diasticks for Faceting

Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

agemcutr

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 05:48:48 PM »
I made a special carving blend a few years back for a dentist to polish the ceramics with.
I melted some white Tripoli used to polish aluminium with, some soy wax from a scented
candle and a little paraffin oil to make a moist wax that would stick to the wheel and not go to powder as you used it. just add diamond to suit. Adjust the formula to suit.

southerly

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 06:43:44 AM »
Are you suggesting to add diamond to the tripoli mix Anthony? I find tripoli dulls highly polished nephrite.

I found this out finishing off the bolsters of a knife with Tripoli after finishing the nephrite scales, I had the scales atped but the trip still cut through is one spot.

david

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 08:05:41 AM »
Are you suggesting to add diamond to the tripoli mix Anthony? I find tripoli dulls highly polished nephrite.
david

A lot of these products do not come with information on grit size but a quick google search indicated that white tripoli has a grit size of about #1500 to #1800 which would fit into the pre-polish category - and yes, it would dull a highly polished surface.

Generally, tripoli would have a fine cutting action for that fine sanding just prior to the final polishing stage.  Often used on metals - popular with jewellers before they buff with a fine rouge.

However, there may be other finer types out there.  Or something like a white dialux which is an alumina based polish.  It is often confusing because most of these proprietary types of compounds give out little information on actual composition.

cheers
Leah

agemcutr

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 11:49:41 AM »
The idea is to use the Tripoli as a carrier and that's why I sujuested aluminium polish as it would use a softer abrasive base.There are plenty of wax based compounds for anything from plastic to stainless steel. Teeth ceramics are CZ harndness 8.5.
I believe that nephrite would react with certain compounds, finding the right one is the trick.
Ive been thinking about melting the joinable belt to a liquid and adding diamond to it to make a rubberised abrasive for carving for coating felt or casting in molds for burrs. Just another one of my whacky thoughts.

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 02:57:41 PM »
This is an example of where it can be confusing - generally the word tripoli would be reserved for a compound that is slightly abrasive or for a pre-polish type effect.  Traditionally a silica based product although there are some silica-free tripoli products now (as a safer option - silica can be dangerous to your lungs).

I have seen it used to advertise White Dialux but this is really misleading.  A wax based buffing compound is not tripoli by default - it should be described according to its job - ie. cutting compound, polishing compound, etc to avoid confusion.

Tripoli and Alumina are not the same thing - a wax based alumina compound is not tripoli.  This article from Ganoksin may assist:

http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/buffing-material.htm

Cheers
Leah
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 02:59:29 PM by Aussie Sapphire »

agemcutr

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 04:27:45 PM »
Thanks Leah,
That's helps lots. I mean an aluminium metal buffing compound so I see now how Tripoli can be confusing the issue. David, go to Hare & Forbes in Northmead and buy the white buffing compound. Call by if you need some diamond or my s/s melting pots.

Andrew

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 05:32:17 PM »
I'm after #60 000 diamond polish for the spare canvas pad on the Cabking. Is the Diastik suitable to apply to a canvas pad or will I actually need to get the powder and mix it with vaseline or something to apply

Just need to step in as Poor Lefty and others may be totally confused by now hotthirsty
 Lefty and others may well be confused - we are not creating a moon shuttle hear or a Dentists Brew - just some basic Diamond compound for basic Cabbing.

Use Diamond Powder and a Carrier like Vaseline or a Vegetable based Oil or Grease, Animal Fat or a list as long as your arm that will work ::)

Seems to be making a Mount Everest out of a Pimple with this one.  There are hundreds of ways to mix a Diamond Compound - we dont as buying Diamond powder is the cheapest and best value for customers.

Facetors use a Diastick  :-\

« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 05:49:27 PM by Aussie Sapphire »

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 09:00:15 AM »
Thanks Andrew. So even a bit of Vick's vapour rub would work? ;D A line of scented laps and polishing pads might be a real niche market :)

Blash

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 11:47:42 AM »
"home sick from work? our new line of laps will help, infused with soothing vicks vapour rub so that you can have fun and feel better all at the same time"

agemcutr

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 02:09:52 PM »
Just remember not to scratch your nuts when using the new polish.

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 10:40:31 PM »
Just remember not to scratch your nuts when using the new polish.

That reminds me of a true story about a bloke I know who did that while cutting up birdseye chillies for a curry. His missus came home to find him employing the soothing power of a tub of cold yoghurt - but this is a family forum so i won't go into detail :D

FlashGP

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 11:02:41 PM »
Crikey, that one made my eyes water ... I laughed so hard the family thought I was having a fit.  I feel for the poor chap though. My hands peeled after I tried cutting up said chillies to make my own tabasco sauce.  hotthirsty
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

Recent Activities

Victorian Copper Minerals by Manficat
[Today at 03:44:27 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank
[April 15, 2024, 07:45:43 PM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[April 14, 2024, 05:24:48 AM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by RoughCreations