collapse

Author Topic: Just made some picks  (Read 7570 times)

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
Just made some picks
« on: February 04, 2015, 09:28:28 PM »
Hi,
Just made some picks. Designed to be fairly robust and dig in clay, like that hard green clay at Agate Crk. Was lucky enough to try out some picks some other serious diggers were using last year.
I used some heavy leaf springs I had lying around 60mm x 8mm and 33.7mmODx2mm gal pipe. Preheated the springs to bit over 250 degrees, welded, cooled slow in a fire blanket.  They do a pretty good job smashing concrete  ;D. Just need to sharpen them as I ran of time today. The big one has two springs welded together and I'll sharpen the back to cut tree roots.

Thought I'd share.
Cheers
Andrew
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 08:36:29 AM by MakkyBrown »

colza

• ALF'er Gold Member
  • My fossicking mate
Re: Just made some picks
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 11:36:51 AM »
Hi MakkyBrown,

These picks look deadly and great for working out too.   :D Well done.

Cheers,
colza
I dig it.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 07:58:23 PM »
"These picks look deadly"
Hi colza,

Yep, they sure do.:)  I'm going to give a couple of them a work out on the w/end down at Lune River.  Might need some find turning but pretty happy with then atm. Should hopefully be strong enough to lever rocks aswell as work nice in clay. 

Cheers
Andrew

southerly

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 09:37:22 PM »
Cool, are you putting a handle on as well?

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 09:41:43 AM »
No just leaving the pipe handles, the 33.7mm pipe is just fractionally larger diameter than my Estwing Paleo Picks handles and feels really good to use. Was using another blokes pick at Agate Crk last year with the same size handle and it was really nice to use, no jarring.  I could dig roughly double the amount of hard clay with his pick compared to my Estwing pick for same effort.  Being fairly tall, I have also made two of the picks with handles over 1m long so I'm not having to lean over as much when swing the picks. Be interesting to see if the long handles will bend when levering rocks.

Cheers
Andrew
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 09:52:05 AM by MakkyBrown »

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 10:13:30 AM »
No just leaving the pipe handles, the 33.7mm pipe is just fractionally larger diameter than my Estwing Paleo Picks handles and feels really good to use. Was using another blokes pick at Agate Crk last year with the same size handle and it was really nice to use, no jarring.  I could dig roughly double the amount of hard clay with his pick compared to my Estwing pick for same effort.  Being fairly tall, I have also made two of the picks with handles over 1m long so I'm not having to lean over as much when swing the picks. Be interesting to see if the long handles will bend when levering rocks.

Cheers
Andrew

Buying ready made is convenient but if you are handy, it is really good to make something that EXACTLY suits you - more ergonomic means less pain and effort.

cheers
Leah
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

BigMick

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 10:22:55 AM »
I'm thinking about a visit down there this weekend as well, see if time allows.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 11:17:10 AM »
I'm thinking about a visit down there this weekend as well, see if time allows.
Hi Mick,
We are in a white Toyota 80 series Landcruiser, not 100% sure when or how long we or me will down there but say g'day if you see us. Depends on the family a bit. Might even be towing the caravan.
Cheers
Andrew

kevinnix

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 12:08:33 PM »
good work with the picks, looking good !

tinker

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 01:48:26 PM »
So I guess your not Irish Makkybrown, you haven't been put in a room full of shovels and told to take your pick,  Nice job mate. ;D

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 04:09:18 PM »
lol, not Irish tinker.
Just sharpened 4 of them, ready for Lune River tomorrow and hopefully Monday aswell. Tested the blade on the back of the big one by hacking some small branches off the trees out front, sharpen most of the faces from both sided like a cold chisel, and points from one side.  Bit hot down here in Tas today to go digging, should be a nice 20degree for the next two days so should be good.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 04:14:23 PM by MakkyBrown »

Jamo

• ALF'er VIP
  • Gippsland Rocks!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 08:29:48 PM »
Hope you do well Makky. If you find surplus let me know, would be happy to buy or swap. Jamo  8)
Baaa humbug, not enough fossicking time!

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 09:26:58 PM »
I suspect it will be many more years before we'd consider parting with any fern. Special and unique, it's hard to part with. I'd also probably get in trouble with MrsMakky who loves her fern.  Have found a fair few bits, though the two piece I posted today are the best two imo. Will try and post more pics over coming weeks. 

Cheers
Andrew

Jamo

• ALF'er VIP
  • Gippsland Rocks!
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 09:30:25 PM »
I suspect it will be many more years before we'd consider parting with any fern. Special and unique, it's hard to part with. I'd also probably get in trouble with MrsMakky who loves her fern.  Have found a fair few bits, though the two piece I posted today are the best two imo. Will try and post more pics over coming weeks. 

Cheers
Andrew
Will enjoy your pics, second best to them being here at my place!  8) I know what it is like when it comes to parting with hard won stones. You just have to find more 'better' ones so that you are able to part with some of the lesser.
Baaa humbug, not enough fossicking time!

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 09:14:06 AM »
Got a few sore muscles  :) The big pick with the blade is awesome, the blade cuts 40mm thick tree roots in a single swing and the point does serious damage. I'm just not fit enough atm to swing it for hours. The other picks are also really good and our Estwing picks will be probably be left at home as they don't compare. Edges/points on the picks held up perfectly, only very slight smoothing of the points. 
Was a good couple of days, found some new areas, and further developed my understanding of Lune River. Only found a few small bits of fern, and a heap of the usual broken agates and crystal. Some will tumble, one is whole I'll cut and there might be a few nice pieces for pendants etc. Keen to get back down there, lots of exploring to do.
Cheers
Andrew

Recent Activities

Vale Woofa by fossickeract
[April 30, 2024, 09:59:12 PM]

Planning a trip to NT by Pete49
[April 30, 2024, 02:19:09 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Gemster
[April 29, 2024, 05:59:31 PM]

Tomahawk creek by Scratcher
[April 23, 2024, 06:35:53 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank