collapse

Author Topic: Fossicking Northern nsw  (Read 40463 times)

Mushy

• ALF'er Silver Member
Re: Fossicking Northern nsw
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 02:37:39 PM »
got these from somewhere, was probably on this site. Not exactly accurate maps but will get you into the area

Bunyip

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 02:43:21 PM »
Cheers Mushy

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 11:19:22 PM »
 :o wow thanks for the id of that snake only seen one and all he saw of me was my dust.. but blocked my mates passage and wouldn't let him past. seen some large tiapans  and yeh they can get pretty big...  ok just one more Q so have you heard of large death adders around dalmorton? my mate says he came across one sunning itself and rekons it was about 6-8 feet long and looked just like a death adder only larger  but with a tail the same as, very short and tapers off real quick any ideas?? or do you think same snake ?      beers

.Scottyb having trouble with mines web page bear with me sent email so just waiting for new password...gotta love new computers ??? 

I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

pegatha

• ALF'er Platinum
  • Walking sticks rock in creeks.
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 10:04:18 AM »
Speaking of the dreaded wrigglers. We live next to a creek and our predominant snake is the tiger and yes they can get big. They don't have the worst of the venoms the problem is they multi strike. The king brown is sometimes seen around here , mostly because they have fallen off the timber trucks coming from the Murray river area. I once found a skin on my sons property that was big enough to slide over my hand and up my arm and I've got chubby arms. Had no ambition to meet its owner. Other than that we only have copperheads and red bellied blacks. Just make a lot of heavy footsteps they feel the vibrations and move.  ;D And make sure you have something to wrap over the bite. If you follow the first aid procedure it will be OK (been there done that) The fine print is for direct bite into a vein, that's the bad one.  The venom affects the respiratory system not the blood. It travels in the lymphatic system as most strikes are into tissue not the blood system that's why the bandage system works. So heavy footsteps and remember to take a bandage.  beers beers  PS the brown found in the Diamontina River area is our top of the list but he is shy.
Pegatha

Mushy

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 01:26:22 PM »
Mate show me some photos and vid of a couple of big black snakes getting it on at Guthega yesterday. They couldnt give a hoot that they were being filmed (Jindabyne noticeboard on FB)

Bunyip

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 06:23:06 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JfiiTVhD3U

I was walking out our guest house in the morning and a King was coming out of the rubbish shed (yes a shed full of rubbish) thick as my wrist and as usual the fumbling for the camera on my phone had the photo mode up first trying to get video happening, and i had inadvertently chased him into a corner. The 6ft raised up and turned on me quick, realizing i was getting too close I backed off and began chasing... but he high tailed it and I got a bit of footage...very cool snake. they have a Cobra temple down the road full of snakes roaming free....(we never had the nuts to go).

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 07:17:57 PM »
Don't like em and never will...bailed up by two tigers when I was a kid in Victoria...scarred me for life :'( :'(

Scottyb found two mines south west of mullum,,,think they are near nightcap np

yankee ck -28.5689 long 153.4407

verhovseks prospect -28.5705 long 153.4407 let me know how you went...

now for the opal three locals.... 2 on private property.. other one on side of Tintenbar to teaven short cut road (Ballina bypass before they built that new one)..about 2kms out of Tintenbar, heading towards teaven is a cutting on the left, before the bridge and turn to teaven... there is an entrance to a house or house estate don't know whats up there but you cant miss it plenty of area to park...just dig around in cutting ...other side of road is guard rail... you may see some places others have dug in... never found any but didn't spend enough time. always travelling home from work on gold coast to coffs..  when and if you find some place in water to keep it ..it loves to crack up in air.. look on net or here for Tintenbar Volcanic Opal  pretty to look at no good for jewellery or so im told ...  I think the whole area they dug up for the bypass is very interesting ...  and could be a good place to dig in the left over dump points (piles of rocks and soil) off the bypass...another place to try is ST Helena bypass works.. just up the road from you...... beers beers

Bunyip

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 08:05:11 PM »
Thanks for the info Gemster

Bunyip

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2015, 06:49:24 PM »

Bunyip

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2015, 06:53:08 PM »
Now kiddies this is exactly what you should do if you see one of these out rummaging

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HXh0rLQPK5g

Bunyip

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2015, 06:56:43 PM »
You might even score a nIce Lyme bullseye

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2015, 10:26:01 PM »
  :( :( I had a bet with a mate that Irwin would die one day... play with fire ya going to get burnt...

R.I.P Steve :( :( :(

As for that other guy...play with fire.......... ??? ??? ???

nice ones there Bunyip.. beers

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2015, 01:05:50 PM »
 :o :o whats that Bunyip on your leg or arm????

Bunyip

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2015, 11:00:00 AM »
That was a generic Lyme bite Gemster. I have had the misfortune of having a few of thnose before....what are the tunnels you talk of Scottyb?

I think wading in creeks looking and touching rocks/minerals is one of the most relaxing grounding things to de stress...

Mushy

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2015, 08:45:00 AM »

Recent Activities

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by As I in does tries!
[April 25, 2024, 03:37:25 PM]

Tomahawk creek by Scratcher
[April 23, 2024, 06:35:53 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[April 22, 2024, 12:43:41 PM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[April 21, 2024, 06:45:47 PM]

Garnet by pc bowe
[April 20, 2024, 01:56:47 AM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[April 20, 2024, 01:46:57 AM]

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank