collapse

Author Topic: Fossicking Locations Directory  (Read 43891 times)

Findem

• ALF'er VIP
    • Blog
Re: Fossicking Locations Directory
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2015, 07:56:23 PM »
You've got to be very careful about listing private property locations. I had a quick look at some of the Glen Innes listings this afternoon. Kingsgate is still out of bounds, so far as I know. Surface Hill always was and presumably still is.
A lot of the places described in my blog are on private property too, but certainly not all are. It's up to the individual fossicker to make sure about these things and not barge in and get even more landowners off side.

ktmman

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2015, 10:06:53 PM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 10:10:00 PM by ktmman »
Insert [Funny Text] here!

ktmman

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2015, 10:09:30 PM »
I'm thinking of going for a dig on Sunday, if you can use photos of things like importand landmarks - especially since there is no signage - I'll take the camera and post some.
I'm heading up on Sunday so if you get down for a dig we can compare notes.
And I don't mind you posting my pic's at all :)
[/quote]
Insert [Funny Text] here!

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2015, 06:07:59 AM »
Excellent! It really is a more sensible time to be going from now on - I see the temp is forecast to reach a maximum of 28, perfect digging weather.

BTW, have you ever dug on the opposite side of the road? I dug there twice when I first started going there a couple of years ago but never even found so much as a crystal point, not even a shattered one. But judging by the amount of diggings that are on that side, somebody must have found something there.

I also dug over toward the side fence where the diggings start to peter out, further toward where the first little track runs down to the creek - after digging down a metre I found there was no quartz layer above the hard basement. But literally a dozen steps away was an old digging with plenty of quartz lying on the surface.

Be nice if we could find an area where the crystals aren't so badly cracked.

daruthe

• ALF'er Silver Member
    • Looking for that perfect place to fossick?
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2015, 07:13:33 AM »
You've got to be very careful about listing private property locations. I had a quick look at some of the Glen Innes listings this afternoon. Kingsgate is still out of bounds, so far as I know. Surface Hill always was and presumably still is.
A lot of the places described in my blog are on private property too, but certainly not all are. It's up to the individual fossicker to make sure about these things and not barge in and get even more landowners off side.

Agreed - which is why I flag such locations as private property where I know that they are such, and why there is the disclaimer at the bottom of every page :)

I realise some people needs things spelled out for them though, so I've created and a new location attribute "For Reference Only" and I've added it to Kingsgate, and will add to others as required.

As an interesting note, if you hover your mouse over the any of the location attributes, you get a tool tip with a bit more information about what it means :)

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2015, 09:45:39 AM »
The Lowmead dig site on the northern side of Clarke road is on private property but owners permission is not required, nor is any kind of permit. The owner has driven right past me digging many times. As long as you don't cross the creek.

The southern side of the road I'm told is some kind of forestry reserve, though it is not marked as such on any map I have seen. But there is a spot on that side not far back from the diggings where you can see that they mill timber.

ktmman and I both go there fairly regularly, if anything changes I will let you know so the website can be updated.

You can add to the site that while it's not a bad idea to have a pick or mattock, a shovel is really all that's required as the ground is just decomposed granite sand and is pretty soft.

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2015, 09:52:45 AM »

daruthe

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2015, 05:06:56 PM »
After a morning of furious coding, I have added in the ability for locations to have photo associated to them. I've implemented it as a carousel that appears below the Google map. The carousel only appears if photos have been associated to the location.

As per Lefty's permission earlier, I've added those 2 photos he posted to the Lowmead page - check it out :)

daruthe

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2015, 01:02:35 PM »
I've added a new feature today, one I think/hope you will all find useful.

To the region and location detail pages I've added the ability to download that information as a GPX file which can be imported in Garmin Basecamp, OziExplorer, and other such mapping and gps software.

At the moment the website interface only allows you to do this one region or location at a time, however I will be adding in some mechanism to allow multiples to be exported shortly. For those who may be keen, you can download the entire location list into gpx format using the link http://fossicking.daruthe.com/getgpx.php?id%5B%5D=1&id%5B%5D=2&id%5B%5D=3&id%5B%5D=4&id%5B%5D=5&id%5B%5D=6&id%5B%5D=7&id%5B%5D=8&type=state&label=World%20Of%20Shiny%20Stuff%20-%20All%20Locations

Ozzie59er

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2015, 11:29:36 AM »
Hi there,

Just found your site.  Very impressed with it.  Will you be adding more Western Australian sites in the future.  Would like to find out how to locate areas for gemstone and gold.  I don't have to many maps for gemstones for Wa.  Any ideas where I can obtain them.  Keep up the great work, such a helpful site.

Ozzie

daruthe

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2015, 01:18:55 PM »
Thanks.

I've kind of neglected the site over the past month or so, I have been moving house which has consumed all my time. I hope to get back into working on it again soon.

In the mean time, you can view my raw data for WA by visiting http://fossicking.daruthe.com/regions.php?id=120 . Be aware that that page can take a few minutes to load.

As for getting hold of gem maps, I would recommend contacting both the WA Mines Department and also Visitor Information Centres in towns. But likely your best source of info will be local lapidary clubs.

Ozzie59er

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2015, 01:46:53 PM »
Thanks for that, are these Gold mines or gemstone locations as well?.  Have downloaded the gpx file., what programme can I open this with please.  Thats a fantastic collection of data.

daruthe

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2015, 02:00:50 PM »
I was testing the generated .gpx files in Garmin Basecamp and they worked perfectly in that. They should also work in OziExplorer and pretty much most modern mapping software. Also all Garmin GPS devices and many other non-Garmin GPS devices should all you to import the .gpx files too.

Most of the WA spots I have at the moment are gold, especially those in that list of raw sites in my previous post.

Ozzie59er

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2015, 02:07:32 PM »
Just tried to open in Ozi Explorer, can't seem to open file.Also tried in Geo Map from Dept Mines website and comes up with an error message. Error in the XML document.  Any ideas what I am doing wrong??

daruthe

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2015, 02:30:42 PM »
I would suggest maybe try downloading the file again. I just downloaded the gpx file and trial version of OziExplorer and it worked perfectly.

Perhaps also try updating your OziExplorer to the latest version.

Recent Activities

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by opal light
[Today at 10:07:16 AM]

Blue Hills quarry and Sapphire bend access at Oberon by opal light
[Today at 09:46:26 AM]

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[March 28, 2024, 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose
[March 28, 2024, 01:41:37 AM]

New mast and quill assembly by RoughCreations
[March 27, 2024, 08:46:05 AM]

Lapidary Industry Turmoil in the USA by tinker