collapse

Author Topic: Lightning Ridge-inverell Area-Torrington-Port Macquarie-Home- 13/04-26/04/2018  (Read 3723 times)

Ausdigfam

• ALF'er Silver Member
Hiya All,
       Hubby and I are doing a round trip for 2 weeks, as the heading suggests. We would love some hints as to where we could hopefully find some opals in and around Lightning Ridge, we are there for 3 nights, even who to speak too. We're not after anything spectacular, just a small piece or two for jewellery. Then to Inverell as our base for 4 nights, Tingha Sands, Stannifer, Billabong Blue are some of the places we wish to visit, would there be any other places while we are here?? Next we are at Deepwater, parking ourselves behind the pub, for 2 nights. Heading into Torrington from here, and hoping to find some gems there, any suggestions where to head while in there?? After all the fossicking we are heading to Port Macquarie to do some long awaited fishing, just to change the pace, before heading back to the rat race.

bak

• ALF'er Bronze Member
We went to lightning ridge in September last year to have a look for some opals.  We really enjoyed the town but 43 degrees in September was a bit ordinary.  We also went for a drive out to Grawin to spend some time at the opal dumps and visit the glengarry hilton.  To be honest most of what we found was next to the information centre and digging around in the car park at the Chambers of the black hand.  Chamber of the Black Hand was awesome and worth the admission fee.  I'd love to head out there again for a bit longer.  It was our first time looking for opals so can't really add much of value. 

Lord_Thunda

• ALF'er VIP
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Tingha Sands will be closing for good in 2 weeks.
If you bring a USB stick to Emmaville I can d/l heaps of info for you on Torrington area & the museum is a MUST see anyways.
There is also Sean who ran the Tingha Caravan Park has fossicking trips in the Tingha area.

Ausdigfam

• ALF'er Silver Member
Thanks bak, it does get rather hot out there, and we will look at the chamber of the black hand, I know the last time we were out there, some 20years ago, that same mound was there at the info centre and we found a black opal and a white opal, very small though. It's a place that seems to call you back time and time again.

Ausdigfam

• ALF'er Silver Member
Sorry to hear Tingha Sands are closing. Thanks for letting me know Lord_Thunda. I do have a USB somewhere that you loaded all your info onto. But in moving house, it's in a box, one of the many boxes in the box room!!! No matter, we may try Stannifer and Wellingrove???

harryopal

• ALF'er Gold Member
Quite a while since I last went to Lightning Ridge. It is difficult not to at least look at the main shops selling opal and opal jewellery as they have wonderful displays. But it seems that people visiting thinking that as this is the centre for the black opal trade the prices will be cheaper there. Last time I looked it was cheaper to buy Lightning Ridge opal from dealers at Whitecliffs or other gem and mineral shows. Any time you are passing an opal shop stop and check it out and you will begin to get some idea of the price ranges.
harryopal

Ausdigfam

• ALF'er Silver Member
Thanks Harryopal, I will certainly look into the opal shops if we don't do any good, have to come away with something from the Ridge!!!

colza

• ALF'er Gold Member
  • My fossicking mate
Hi Ausdigfam,
I agree with Lord Thunda that Emmavile museum is a must see. While there you should pick some brains of those running the show. Local knowledge always helps.
At Inverell try to get in touch with their lapidary club for some expert local guidance.
Have a great trip.
Cheers,
colza
I dig it.

Mouse

• ALF'er Silver Member
  • Here for a good time, not a long time!
Hi Ausdigfam, went to Grawin on the way back from the Simpson. Grawin is like Lightning Ridge was 40 years ago. It has not much at all apart from a store, 2 pubs? and the Club in the Scrub (golf club). Check out their website. You can free camp near there. It has flush toilets and they were talking about putting in showers when we where there last winter. Great food at good prices. There are also 2 huge (200m x 100m x 50m high) piles of tailings to noodle through. A French couple found a piece worth around $2k while we were there. We didn't spend any time looking in Lightning Ridge. Just went to the artesian pool.
Billabong Blue have a jewellry store in Inverell, just saying. I haven't been to 7 Oaks.
My preferences Grawin and 7 Oaks.
Have a great trip.
Mouse

Life is not all about the final destination, but the journey taken.

starsapphire78

• ALF'er Platinum
 Another site gone , all those  shinnie's just laying there

Ausdigfam

• ALF'er Silver Member
I think we will go and look see out at Grawin while we are out that way, it's all very different to where we normally fossick, (Oberon) go to the baths, do the car door tours and try our luck at the pile outside the info centre. As for Inverell, we will Definately see the museum and go see Shaun, and fossick at Billabong Blue. Depending on time, Grawin might be on the to do list also. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Recent Activities

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by As I in does tries!
[April 25, 2024, 03:37:25 PM]

Tomahawk creek by Scratcher
[April 23, 2024, 06:35:53 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[April 22, 2024, 12:43:41 PM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[April 21, 2024, 06:45:47 PM]

Garnet by pc bowe
[April 20, 2024, 01:56:47 AM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[April 20, 2024, 01:46:57 AM]

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank