collapse

Author Topic: Access Permision - Cloncurry Areas  (Read 2841 times)

BjDee

Access Permision - Cloncurry Areas
« on: April 30, 2015, 07:18:11 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Longtime reader, first time poster. My name's Ben, based in Brisbane, I've been fossicking since I was a kid and only recently joined the North Brisbane Lapidary Club.

I was hoping someone could provide some clarity on the access arrangements/situation/permissions for the Fullerton River garnet site and Kuridala sites in the Cloncurry area.  Normally I'd investigate the areas I'm going to myself in more detail, but at very short notice I've been able to get 2 weeks off work, so I don't have the luxury this time around (leaving tomorrow).

Web searches and contact with Cloncurry Council, haven't cleared things up for me, basically I just want to know if I need to contact people to gain permissions prior to arrival or if I'm ok to go to these sites unannounced.  I intend to go into the Cloncurry Tourist information centre when I arrive (hopefully to get some information that they haven't been able to provide by email), however I was hoping to stop at the Fullerton River site prior to getting to Cloncurry.

Any information people could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ben

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
Re: Access Permision - Cloncurry Areas
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 07:46:46 AM »
Hi,

Welcome Ben, it will be interesting to hear how you go on your trip.
When I was there 2years ago both were public fossicking areas and you just drove in. Make sure you have your fossicking license as we got checked at Fullerton River.
To be extra sure there is contact info on the QLD government fossicking page. http://www.qld.gov.au/recreation/activities/fossicking/

Cheers
Andrew
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 08:13:54 AM by MakkyBrown »

dughug

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 08:26:51 AM »
Hi BJdee,
 isn't it good to have some time off to go fossicking ? The area you have chosen is a fantastic destination. Have a word to a fellow ALF'er, Fullerton who lives in the 'Curry and he will be able to give you some good pointers.

As a member of N.B.L.C. also have a word to your field trip officer as he regularly visits this area.
Good luck with your fossicking, If you are like me you'll come home with a car-boot full from this area.

Don't forget a bit for yourself, a bit to swap and leave a bit for the next person to visit.

Fullerton

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Friendly Heart Gems
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 08:35:49 PM »
Hi Ben,

Yes, you will be able to access both sites without any fuss. The Kuridala amethyst site can be a little tricky to find .... biggest issue can be getting on the correct track from the old Kuridala mine site.

If you give me some advance notice of when you expect to be here in Cloncurry (I live here), I should be able to give you a few pointers.

Cheers,
Fullerton
For Australian lapidary materials and gemstones  https://www.facebook.com/FriendlyHeartGems

Tags:

Recent Activities

Joke of the Day by pc bowe
[Today at 07:47:35 AM]

honey opal by Drifter
[Today at 12:30:42 AM]

Pewter Lap build by MakkyBrown
[July 30, 2021, 08:55:52 PM]

Bevelled sides, flat top Cabochon by FlashGP
[July 30, 2021, 07:39:56 PM]

Opal doublet backing. by Rusted
[July 30, 2021, 11:42:10 AM]