collapse

Author Topic: Divining Gemstones  (Read 21171 times)

geriatricgipsy

• ALF'er Silver Member
Re: Divining Gemstones
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 10:21:04 PM »
Dear JAD & Deb,  Firstly Deb, that is called merely a 'throw on sieve', and no, I now use the standup shaker sieve.  I find that unless the wash is loose, clay lumps possibly containing sapphire can bounce off a 'throw on'.  JAD, when divining an area and your wires cross, if you slowly stamp your foot on the ground your wires will eventually uncross.  Count the number of times you stamped and that will tell you the amount of feet down the wash is.  Don't ask why, and don't ask how you translate it into metric, or how big your bloody foot is, because no one knows... IT JUST DOES!  luv & kisses, Patrick.
PS I have just got back to Woolgoolga after 3 months up at Anakie, and that method still works.

moonshadow_dancer

• ALF'er VIP
  • Gems are like Rainbows...becoming rarer!!!
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 10:36:54 PM »
Dearest Patrick oops Mr O'Brien,

It is funny you come on tonight, I was only laying in bed coughing myself stupid last night and thinking of that throw on sieve I seen you use all them years ago and trying to work out how it worked. From memory it was only call a crater in Sapphire heading towards Pat's Gems on the same side of the road, but then again my mind is a little foggy after a stroke, so it could have well been out at Tomahawk Creek hehe.

I hope you can visit here more often as you have such great knowledge for the newer fossickers amongst us and I still love to learn your little tricks and secrets.

Big Hugs,
Deb beers :-*
Ron and I have an Appointment to do some Laps ;) ;D

calxoddity

• ALF'er VIP
  • Give Me Your Sapphires....
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 11:10:44 AM »
Patrick,
   I hope you're coming to the October bash so you can demonstrate your technique.  I need some more cutters!   ;D

Mithras

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 02:56:59 PM »
hi guys

I had the pleasure of being run through the process by Mr O'Brien last year during our Glen Innes Trip

now, I don't quite know if I am a believer yet, but the wires did cross for me, especially when on the trail i had placed a 4ct stone i has just found.

Another spot it continues to cross for me, and upon instruction, i stamped with my feet until they uncrossed.  4 foot down each time I measured and the wires would uncross.

Be damned I would dig down that far for a few bits of sapphire.  If i knew they were 10 ct cutters, i would have dug it with my teeth.

My father is a big believer of divining for water, and has even said that he would walk the fields at home with a willow branch, and when he stuck water under the surface, the willow branch would bend over like a fishing rod.

I think with anything of this, you must posses a level of divinity for it to work.  I might not be a believer, but there is a lot that that I do not understand.

I think that I am still on the fence about this one...

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 03:09:29 PM »
So long as it's not barbed or 'Wired' :o
Keep em comin!!!

geriatricgipsy

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 11:21:28 PM »
Many unbelievers claim that the wires can easily be manipulated... and this is true.  But I once saw a man up at Clermont hold a piece of fencing wire about 5ft long over a water source and the wire bent IN THE MIDDLE to point  to the ground!  Tell me how that could be humanly manipulated???  I don't know the answer, I merely use the idea to help me find sapphires.  luv & kisses, Patrick

geriatricgipsy

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2009, 11:33:46 PM »
Hey, Y'All, I forgot to mention Michael (Mithras)  He was a perfect example of logic versus the unknown (divining.) A previous sceptic, when he played with the divining rods and they crossed, I think he actually puled a muscle in his brain trying to logically explain the phenomenon.  Admittedly we did not dig down 4 ft to prove that sapphire existed, but the mere fact that these two bits of wire re-acted independently to his will amazed him.  As I say, no answers, only questions about the unknown.  Luv & kisses, Patrick

calxoddity

• ALF'er VIP
  • Give Me Your Sapphires....
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2009, 06:30:31 AM »
sooooo, we have proven that wires cross randomly.  I have absolutely no problem with that. 

However, no controlled blind test has ever validated the divining bit - you know - the bit where the crossed wires establish a statistically relevant match with something underfoot that you want to find, and statistically relevant lack of false positives.

Regards,
Shane 

Stix

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2009, 05:00:45 PM »
I am very much a sceptic and un-believer but seeing as i have no other knowledge base at ALL as to where to search for sapphire i thought i would give it a go.  So yesterday, out at Reward/Rubyvale/Anakie i got out 2 bent pieces of wire and went for a walk through the bush.  The missus laughed at me at first even though she is more a believer in these types of things.

I spent about 10 mins walking around and occasionally the wires crossed but a second or third pass over the same spot did nothing, i think i just held my hands wrong.

I did however walk over 1 spot and they crossed, walked over it again and they crossed, walked over it from a different angle and they spread apart, did it a 4th time and they crossed again.  Now i'm to much of sceptic to believe there where forces making them cross so i called the missus over and told her to watch me walk and tell me stop if they cross because i wanted to do it with my eyes closed.  I figured if i had my eyes closed and i didn't know where i was, i couldn't subconsciously "make" the rods move.

I started a good 20-25 meters from the spot and walked very slowly towards the spot, and bugger me the girl yelled out stop, i opened my eyes and the wires where crossed in the same spot.  I did it from a different angle again with my eyes closed and again she yelled stop and the wires where apart.

That was enough for me so i kicked a scuff mark in the dirt and went and got the tools.

I dug for about 40-50 mins before i uncovered the top of a big boulder about 40cm down.  It turned out to be one of those big rocks which looks likes heaps of tiny little pebbles all fused together about 2ft in diameter with another large rock about 1ft in diameter beside it.  I don't know if i'm a beliver yet but that is pretty damn co-incidental.

There ended up being a thin layer of wash about 2" thick down about 40-50cm, i took 2 buckets out which took forever and found 1 small zircon and a chip of a star sapphire.

I'm not a believer yet but i will surely be trying this again in the future.

Stix

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 05:03:02 PM »
 8) Insert spooky music 8) :D
Actually, I think I would have attacked the conglomerate to see what was inside.
Keep em comin!!!

moonshadow_dancer

• ALF'er VIP
  • Gems are like Rainbows...becoming rarer!!!
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2009, 05:38:08 PM »
Gee Stix,

I have to say I am with Chooky Merryn on this one, there could be all kinds of goodies in those pieces of Conglomerate, hope you kept them.

Take Care,
Deb ;D
Ron and I have an Appointment to do some Laps ;) ;D

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2009, 02:22:53 PM »
Pop into Andrew and Leah's shop, they've just listed a dvd that has divining in it.
Gemseek Adventures - New England Sapphires - 50 minute DVD
Keep em comin!!!

Mithras

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2009, 05:25:27 PM »
what kind of metal do my rods need to be for them to cross over when I get close to where the DVD is  ???

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2009, 05:27:41 PM »
Haha, you crackin a funny or can't find it?
Keep em comin!!!

Andrew

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2009, 06:26:48 PM »
Rusty fencing wire only, Galvanized looks pretty but doesn't work  :o
The DVD is at this link - any ALF member can get it free postage which makes it a good buy.
(just ask/remind us in case we dont know your ALF name = real name)

Even though Im a STAR ;D ;D the real heroes are the Gemseek Crew - Alan and Laurie need a real pat on the back and support for their idea and dedication.  They just love the Gem world and deserve their dream to work.

Making a DVD like this looks simple but believe me I know some "secrets of the Film world" now and WOW the cost is scary :o

Already Geemseek have planned their next episode on Yowah opal - all they need is some funding to pay for the shooting.

Sneak preview here:
[smg id=662 type=av]

You will probably see some other familiar faces.  GET IT HERE...

cheers
Andrew

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 06:32:10 PM by Andrew »

Recent Activities

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by opal light
[Today at 10:07:16 AM]

Blue Hills quarry and Sapphire bend access at Oberon by opal light
[Today at 09:46:26 AM]

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[March 28, 2024, 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose
[March 28, 2024, 01:41:37 AM]