collapse

Author Topic: NPWS has been reviewing its Fossicking Policy Please comment to them by 6 May  (Read 30531 times)

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
Leah do you have a Submission to make to them as well?

yes - we have one ready to go.

We are not fossickers ourselves but a big part of our target market are fossickers and our town benefits from those visitors so have an interest in this issue.

However, we have seen more sides of this issue than perhaps some of you (as a commercial miner, as a landowner that sees the effect on a river of a lot of fossickers working at once and as someone who supports continued availability of fossicking areas). 

I am not disagreeing that some of these laws do not make sense - I think in another message thread, I mentioned that one of the reasons we are no longer miners is because of stupid regulations from governments who do not understand.  However, in this case where the main game is protecting access, I do not feel you want to muddy the waters with implying that you want to take more and more from an area that is supposed to be a reserve for the environment.  Just my 2c worth and of course anyone is free to disagree.  But I know people who take a LOT of stone out as a fossicker when they are really mining - in my opinion, this is not within the spirit of the rules and just means there is less for others to get.

Always can be improvement to rules but coming at it with a constructive approach is more likely to yield a positive result.  The people making the decisions are unlikely to appreciate where you guys are coming from - trying to get them over to your point of view is a helpful thing but if they think it is about you wanting the right to take more and more, then less helpful.

cheers
Leah

Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
And I bet when you guys were mining, when you hit a pocket you left some for future Fossickers too....

As a matter of fact we did - hence the offer of Minerama fossicking trips on Lonewood and what is now Crossmaglen.  Perhaps we should have just kept it ALL for ourselves after all??

Leah
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 07:32:22 AM by Aussie Sapphire »
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

MrSydney

• ALF'er Platinum
FYI - Jimnyjerry - Thank you SOOOOO much for bringing this to peoples attentions!

I'll certainly make sure my lapidary club knows - but I'm a newbie there after many years away.

Can someone who knows people make sure guys like MinSoc and Lapidary Councils who can make all the clubs aware know of this!

Lord_Thunda

• ALF'er VIP
I sent an email to Parramatta / Holroyd Lapidary club & I'd say that word is getting out to the Faceters Guild through facebook pages.

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
Sorry Gemster - I accidentally hit the Modify button instead of the Quote button when intending to reply to your message so my reply is in your message and your original message is gone (whoops  :-[  - sorry about that).  Please repost it if you wish.

I do reiterate, we do need to get the word out so everything everyone is doing to get the word out is great.  We posted on our facebook page as well.

Remember, public comment (mostly originating here on ALF) did save the Wellingrove Reserve when the local council wanted to close it down so we as a community do have the power to change things for the better.

Cheers
Leah

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
FYI - Jimnyjerry - Thank you SOOOOO much for bringing this to peoples attentions!

I'll certainly make sure my lapidary club knows - but I'm a newbie there after many years away.

Can someone who knows people make sure guys like MinSoc and Lapidary Councils who can make all the clubs aware know of this!
Sent an email to both NSW MinSoc and NSW Gem & Lapidary Council when I posted on ALF.  :) Hopefully they will react before the expiry date. 
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
Censorshiped again ??? We really need to rally the troops on this one... And for Leftys situation as well.. show these IDIOTS that people power still exists in this day and age....

Gemster.... beers

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
Censorshiped again ??? We really need to rally the troops on this one... And for Leftys situation as well.. show these IDIOTS that people power still exists in this day and age....

Gemster.... beers

My apologies - was mistake.  Please repost.  We really try not to censor on ALF but can press wrong button by mistake.

cheers
Leah

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
 ??? Can't find the Repost button ;).. Can anyone Please Draft a Protest Petition so I can get the Word out to people I know that don't use Social Media?
  Something that 'Some People' can just sign, but gets the point across the 'Polite Way' as a few people are still "Old School" out there... ::)

Everyone I have spoken to are Stunned about these Ideas by NPWS..

This Draft Petition is well beyond My Letter writing abilities ??? but PLEASE Can we get something going.... NOW...
  Is there any possible way to extend the Submission Period on this Threat??

Gemster...... beers

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
  Is there any possible way to extend the Submission Period on this Threat??
  Gemster...... beers

Yes - the timeframe is quite short.  Perhaps contacting the relevant minister might help to get a bit longer for submissions.  His name is Mark Speakman I think - born and bred in Sydney so probably not a lot of bush experience.

Yes - no repost button or I would have done for you. Unfortunately, for mods/admin, the modify button is right next to the quote button which has caused a mistake in this case.  Note it was an error though, not censorship.  I am happy to argue the point but dont like just deleting posts and do so very rarely (usually only for spam).

cheers
Leah
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 01:42:28 PM by Aussie Sapphire »

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
 >:( Lost my post this time by me ::) No worries it happened just now to me... Lol... May-be this could give us more time to Prepare For War ;D

I Love the wording of Section 11,12,14 & 15.... Here Comes the Big Stick....

Gemster..... beers

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
According to NAPFA they are trying to sell it as a good thing that Fossickers are restricted in Torrington....
Any loss of Our Fossicking Habitat is NOT a good thing...
I feel for these Small Towns that are near These Areas....

Gemster....

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
According to NAPFA they are trying to sell it as a good thing that Fossickers are restricted in Torrington....
Any loss of Our Fossicking Habitat is NOT a good thing...
I feel for these Small Towns that are near These Areas....

Gemster....
Are you sure that is correct? NAPFA?

Have you located a document from that that says that?

If that is the case then they do not represent fossickers but only gold chasers.
That would not be in the interest of fossickers, metal detectorists or alluvial gold hunters.
 ???
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
National Association of Prospectors and Fossickers of Australia. NSW branch or as such ???.. yes I know, I never herd of them as well...
   Everyone knows im not good with link thingys ???,  but have a look on Prospecting Australia forum and its under Rules and Regulations....Comments sought on Draft NPWS...

Sorry Admin for not knowing how to do this ::)..... Jimnyjerry can you post Their view on here when you find it, as a lot of people would be sooo interested in this....

Gemster..... beers
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 06:09:36 PM by Gemster »

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
See here and the other pages on their website.

http://www.napfa.net/Restore-the-balance.html

I did not read it as too negative.  I got the impression that they were saying that there are a lot of national parks that are not of interest to fossickers so it is really important to protect the ones that have been set aside for that activity such as Torrington but I did just skim the article (not enough time to really go over it carefully).

cheers
Leah

Recent Activities

Best way to Sapphire viewing by MakkyBrown
[August 10, 2022, 10:46:31 AM]

Jarvi/Facetron Owners-please take note by MakkyBrown
[August 09, 2022, 11:23:50 PM]

CQ Gemfields by mehoose
[August 08, 2022, 09:38:56 PM]

Gemstone Faceting Designs Vol. 4 is out! by RoughCreations
[August 08, 2022, 09:26:20 AM]