collapse

Author Topic: Fossicking Locations Directory  (Read 44107 times)

Ozzie59er

• ALF'er Bronze Member
Re: Fossicking Locations Directory
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2015, 03:41:51 PM »
OK sorry to be a pain, I have downloaded the file, I have the lastest version of Ozi, now when I click on file, ozi opens but where is the file?  Map has no points marked on it???  Can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

daruthe

• ALF'er Silver Member
    • Looking for that perfect place to fossick?
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2015, 04:56:24 PM »
The method that I used in OziExplorer to import the points is as follows:

1. Click on the "File" menu
2. Click on "Load from File"
3. Click on "Import GPX File"
4. On the "Load GPX File" dialog box, navigate to where you saved the .gpx file you downloaded from my site, highlight it and then click "Open"
5. OziExplorer will now start to load the waypoints

Ozzie59er

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2015, 12:41:02 AM »
Thanks Daruthe for being so helpful, appreciate you taking the time to help.  I downloaded them as per your instructions, worked a treat.  Now how do I save them for future reference?  I can't believe the amount of waypoints you have mapped, congrats on a great job. Once again thanks for your patience and help.    Ozzie

Ashlyn

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2016, 05:07:56 PM »
Hi did you know this site link is no longer working?

This is what came up - "The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later"

daruthe

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2016, 05:19:59 PM »
Yeah I am aware of this. Unfortunately the hosting provider I am with also blocks out my access to the control panel I would use to fix it when that happens.

The bandwidth limit will reset at the end of the month and the site will be functional again. I am at this moment preparing to move the site to a new hosting provider that gives me more bandwith for the same price.

Ashlyn

« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2016, 06:24:37 PM »
Ok thanks for replying will have a look in the next month  ;D

daruthe

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2016, 09:54:43 PM »
Site is back up.

However to prevent it going down again anytime soon, I have now moved it to a new location with much more bandwidth (about 40 times more).

The new location is http://www.prospectinglocations.com

jasonr

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2016, 10:13:18 PM »
gotta love the amount of "gold" locations around Brisbane and Surfers Paradise......

I would imagine these are related to "rumored locations" prior to houses, roads and indeed cities being built over them ...
Seriously, gold in Southport and Coomera .... sure, maybe 100's of meters underground .. certainly nothing "fossickable" on the surface.

Would look kinda funny though ... someone with a gold pan digging up Pelican Beach in the middle of Surfers Paradise. :)

I dont care if the glass is half full or half empty.
Drink whats left or throw it away.
Either way stop staring at the damn thing !

daruthe

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2016, 10:56:18 PM »
A lot of the locations are abandoned mines, loaded from DNRM data files. And yes, you are right, a lot of them are far beneath the ground, well out of reach of fossickers or historical mines that have now been civilized ;) . It has been well known that there is gold within the Greater Brisbane region. For example http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/theres-gold-under-that-thar-bridge--but-you-cant-get-it-20121010-27cx9.html

I include these sites mostly for reference only, to give people an idea of what they may find in the surrounding area.

Would look kinda funny though ... someone with a gold pan digging up Pelican Beach in the middle of Surfers Paradise. :)

This sounds like a perfect excuse for an ALF'er get together :)

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2016, 07:54:38 AM »

I remember quite a few years ago when we were doing fossicking bags, some tourists bought a couple and then washed them on the main beach at Surfers Paradise.  Found a few little bits of colour and left a little pile of ironstone on the sand.  Wish they had sent us a photo - fossicking on the beach with the highrise skyline in the background and waves breaking on the opposite side.

That was "dislocated" fossicking though.

cheers
Leah
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2016, 10:37:03 AM »
Anywhere along the Coast from North Stradbroke Island all the way down to Ballina NSW you will find Gold in the beach sand. Very fine gold but its still there.. When they sand mined the coastline in the early days the Sands were run through a sluice box and it was a little bonus for them.... You can actually pan gold out of Brookfield ck and a few other locations around Brisbane... And when I worked for a company digging holes for the Concrete Jungle we now have here, they were always looking and sampling as we dug..... My mates father remembers seeing people panning in the Nerang river in the 1920's...... and sluice boxes were set up on the areas behind the beach at Currumbin Ck.... Just up the road from me are 2 old Gold mines I wouldn't mind having a look at in the foothills of Mt Tamborine....if they are still there....somewhere near the old Jasper Farm that is now houses I think... ::)
 But it is now a no no to 'Mine' the beaches... ::) or leave little piles of ironstone... 8)

I shall see what I can do about a photo on Suffers Paradise Beach Leah.... ;)

Gemster...... beers
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

The Grey Ghost

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2017, 10:04:12 AM »
Thank for this Information.  This is great!!!!!  Heading out to Northern NSW next week, so I will definitely check some of these spots out.

Recent Activities

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank
[April 17, 2024, 12:26:26 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Rusted
[April 17, 2024, 10:06:30 AM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[April 17, 2024, 04:41:41 AM]

Victorian Copper Minerals by Manficat
[April 16, 2024, 03:44:27 PM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by RoughCreations
[April 10, 2024, 06:17:37 PM]

The illusion of cubes by RoughCreations