collapse

Author Topic: Does anyone have "Cleopatra's Eye" facet design?  (Read 14462 times)

Pro-oz

• ALF'er Silver Member
Re: Does anyone have "Cleopatra's Eye" facet design?
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2020, 07:12:24 PM »
Wow that looks good MB. I am just polishing the pavilion, Cleopatra's Eye. when it's finished, then I'll play around with the camera again and try to get a half decent photo. IF the crown goes ok for me. Taking extra care.

Cheers Prooz

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2020, 07:15:15 PM »
Wow Andrew that’s a brilliant picture of a stone.
Also that’s the first time I’ve seen your website. Amazing designs and the pictures are out of this world.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2020, 08:04:18 PM »
Wow that looks good MB. I am just polishing the pavilion, Cleopatra's Eye. when it's finished, then I'll play around with the camera again and try to get a half decent photo. IF the crown goes ok for me. Taking extra care.

Cheers Prooz
Oh yeah, take that extra care, nothing(well there is) worse than over cutting one of the last facets and having to re-cut them all  ::) Goodluck.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2020, 08:06:06 PM »
Wow Andrew that’s a brilliant picture of a stone.
Also that’s the first time I’ve seen your website. Amazing designs and the pictures are out of this world.
Thanks Frank, I've only recently got the photos to a quality level I'm fairly happy with it's taken awhile.

Rusted

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2020, 07:53:55 AM »
I finished it yesterday.
It really darkens a stone, my raw material had just a hint of smokey, the finished stone has a nice depth of smokey citriny colour.
I went with my modified pavilion angles and the result turned out really nice light return and flash.

Dihusky

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2020, 08:22:04 AM »
You all inspired me to start making eye designs. Got a bit out of hand and now have well over a hundred different versions of eyes scatter across my laptop and desktop. Some are really nice. I just cut this one in spinel. It's not too bad. Darken the rough a bit so best for lighter gem materials.  Was a bit tricky to photograph as the camera lens cast a bit of head shadow on the small table.I'll be releasing this in the free designs section on my webpage probably next week after I sequence it.

That's a stunner, really looking forward to seeing the details, wonder how it'll look in Topaz, got a bit piece set aside for something special. Maybe some of the gang could test cut some of the other designs?

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2020, 10:16:19 AM »
It might just be good in topaz, crown will be quiet high. I can get the face up pattern 1.61 and up. I've made a start/optimizing for a range of RI's hopefully I'll have the pdf on my webpage by mid this coming week at the latest :)MB

cliffsearch

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2020, 08:58:57 PM »
I have a copy of the design and have just cut it in Citrine, tricky, but came up well.

Watched the Vintagetimes video on Youtube, C1 ended up at the wrong meet point, should meet the second facet line in from the point. Barion 1 covers 2 x P1 facets, C1 has to do the same with the C6 series. At 53.95 degrees C1 works fine, the trick I found when cutting the crown is to cut C1 then cut the 24 x C6 facets before cutting in C2-C5, then everything should line up nicely. Anyway that's the way I did it.

Finished stone: https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=536367#p536367
Hi my name is Cliff from vintage time. What you said is true. What you may not know is that if you facet the pavilion according to the original design is that you will need to create a fairly thick girdle else the C1 facets end up chopping out on the corners as many have done. I'm guessing that your girdle outline is pretty thick to avoid this happening? The reason for this is the B2 facets are out by 0.36 degrees. This means you can keep faceting the crown as is, but you will have a girdle that is way too thick which makes the crown look out of proportion. Or you you can invert the crown facets and change the angle by about 4 degrees, so you have a respectable girdle outline. In order to do this the B2 facets will also need to be adjusted as these facets are the main culprit in why the end corners get chopped away whilst cutting in the C1 facets. For those who facet the Cleopatra's Eye according to the original angles the gem will either have a very thick girdle or the corners are chopped out. There a several examples like mine with a thinner girdle where the  inverted C1 facets meet the B1 facets. Either way, all methods are a compromise. However, I have further tweaked the design that the girdle can be thinner as it should be and the C1 facets will meet the second facet line. I will test your method, but I suspect that the C1 facets cannot be cut down too deep creating a normal girdle outline. Cheers
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 09:04:57 PM by cliffsearch »

Dihusky

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2020, 08:49:56 PM »
I have a copy of the design and have just cut it in Citrine, tricky, but came up well.

Watched the Vintagetimes video on Youtube, C1 ended up at the wrong meet point, should meet the second facet line in from the point. Barion 1 covers 2 x P1 facets, C1 has to do the same with the C6 series. At 53.95 degrees C1 works fine, the trick I found when cutting the crown is to cut C1 then cut the 24 x C6 facets before cutting in C2-C5, then everything should line up nicely. Anyway that's the way I did it.

Finished stone: https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=536367#p536367
Hi my name is Cliff from vintage time. What you said is true. What you may not know is that if you facet the pavilion according to the original design is that you will need to create a fairly thick girdle else the C1 facets end up chopping out on the corners as many have done. I'm guessing that your girdle outline is pretty thick to avoid this happening? The reason for this is the B2 facets are out by 0.36 degrees. This means you can keep faceting the crown as is, but you will have a girdle that is way too thick which makes the crown look out of proportion. Or you you can invert the crown facets and change the angle by about 4 degrees, so you have a respectable girdle outline. In order to do this the B2 facets will also need to be adjusted as these facets are the main culprit in why the end corners get chopped away whilst cutting in the C1 facets. For those who facet the Cleopatra's Eye according to the original angles the gem will either have a very thick girdle or the corners are chopped out. There a several examples like mine with a thinner girdle where the  inverted C1 facets meet the B1 facets. Either way, all methods are a compromise. However, I have further tweaked the design that the girdle can be thinner as it should be and the C1 facets will meet the second facet line. I will test your method, but I suspect that the C1 facets cannot be cut down too deep creating a normal girdle outline. Cheers

Hi Cliff

Just measured my gem, it's approx 15mm long and the girdle is even at 0.6mm measured on my graticule.

Recent Activities

Planning a trip to NT by Bucket
[Today at 07:46:43 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by As I in does tries!
[April 25, 2024, 03:37:25 PM]

Tomahawk creek by Scratcher
[April 23, 2024, 06:35:53 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[April 22, 2024, 12:43:41 PM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[April 21, 2024, 06:45:47 PM]

Garnet by pc bowe
[April 20, 2024, 01:56:47 AM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[April 20, 2024, 01:46:57 AM]

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank