collapse

Author Topic: Divining Gemstones  (Read 15967 times)

Stix

• ALF'er Platinum
Re: Divining Gemstones
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2009, 07:25:24 PM »
Actually, I think I would have attacked the conglomerate to see what was inside.

Really?  I have found quiet a few large lumps of that stuff out there, what do i do, smash em with a sledge hammer?  Do you find sapphires inside them?  I don't know what any other "goodies" are, rocks used to be all rocks to me, now there are rocks, zircons and sapphires.  Are there other things i should look for?

Stix

Aussie Sapphire

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2009, 08:07:30 PM »
Actually, I think I would have attacked the conglomerate to see what was inside.

Really?  I have found quiet a few large lumps of that stuff out there, what do i do, smash em with a sledge hammer?  Do you find sapphires inside them?  I don't know what any other "goodies" are, rocks used to be all rocks to me, now there are rocks, zircons and sapphires.  Are there other things i should look for?

Stix

Quite some time ago, the miners around here were working a rich area but there was a lot of conglomerate type rock as well - very difficult to process normally.    Andrew knows more about the details but I vaguely remember him saying that it was a "wet weather" job for the guys to break these up with a hammer at the smoko shed - I think they also used to run over them with a bulldozer to try and break them up a bit.  So I suppose there was a bit of useful stuff inside to warrant that effort.  A bit of stuff on it here but Andrew may be able to elaborate later.

cheers
Leah
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

TG

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2009, 05:03:14 PM »
I wish Google Earth had a divining curser to move over the map, to tell me where to go. ;D

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2009, 06:16:14 PM »
ROFL, TG cracked a funny ;D
Keep em comin!!!

Grumpy Santa

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2009, 10:21:32 AM »
Some years ago I was in the CQ gem fields and came across an old bloke who made all sorts of seives and shakers out bits of scrap. He also had devining rods for sale for $2.00 a pair. At $2.00 how could I go wrong? He also gave me a lesson on how to use them and told me about the foot stamping method to indecate depth. They're made from aluminium which is also what sapphire(crystal form) is made from. Since then I've used them with varying degrees of success.

One test I use to entertain people I meet while fossicking is to get them to place a number of pieces of paper on the ground with real sapphire under one of them and let me try to find the stone. Works every time for me and for most of them.

That being said, I have also come across a few people who just can't do it no matter how hard they try.

gussyy

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2009, 11:35:02 AM »
Hi, I use diving rods to determine where to dig, I have proven that if the wires dont cross then l am wasting my time.

Barrett

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2009, 02:16:56 PM »
First off let me say..my pops believes 100% that divining or dowsing works as they used to use it to find water on his farm when he was grwing up so with that being said..I don't think that divining works one bit..they use it to find oil, water, other minerals, and now gemstones?    So aluminum or copper or iron rods have this magic power to find these different objects and materials?  Something that takes oil companies or diamond/gem companies multi-million dollars to find???  Just doesn't make to much sense to me.  I would think if there was even the slightest bit of evidence that it works then Oxford university, MIT, Columbia university would have multi- millon dollar grants studying this thing with hordes of scientist clammering to figure or study or exploit this "mysterious' force.  Wouldn't you think that Exxon mobile, or BP, Chervron would have dropped billion of dollars checking this out to find oil..or the billion dollar arab countries in mid-east to find water?  there is not one bit of provable evidence to support that divining works.  It's a metaphysical science..it can not be confirmed by any repeatable experimentation..if so then it would have been proven.  Even the most "accomplished" dowsers fail to achieve anything more than chance rates in a properly controlled experimental setup.
The claims that dowsing can find water have been scientifically investigated numerous times, but dowsing has yet to be proven. In fact, James Randi, the stage magician (The Amazing Randi) and professional skeptic has offered a prize to any dowser who could successfully locate water  in underground pipes 80 percent of the time. The prize has grown from $10,000 to over a million dollars and has yet to be claimed.  Randi said that "the sad fact is that dowsers are no better at finding water[gemstones] than anyone else. Drill a well[dig a hole] almost anywhere in an area where water is geologically possible, and you will find it."  
just my thoughts..trying to use rationale thinking..so no offense to anyone..just giving my point of view :)

« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 03:21:44 PM by amethystguy »

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2009, 02:28:04 PM »
amguy, you're just not holding your tongue right.  ;D
Keep em comin!!!

Aussie Sapphire

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2009, 07:52:11 AM »
An interesting snippet on divining (skeptic) from 1556:

http://evidencebasedthought.wordpress.com/2009/12/08/debunking-divining-in-1556/

cheers
Leah
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

llarson

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2009, 06:33:17 AM »
   Thanks for the fun read. Toward the end of the article it talked of using an "enchanted twig", maybe I'll hunt someone to "enchant" my shovel, it will do double duty, and I need all the help I can get.

Tags:

Recent Activities

Gems stolen, Mt Surprise by starsapphire78
[September 14, 2021, 09:07:23 PM]

Joke of the Day by starsapphire78
[September 14, 2021, 09:03:58 PM]

Back after long layoff by Bucket
[September 14, 2021, 03:27:15 PM]

Springsure closed by Lyn
[September 11, 2021, 03:32:16 PM]

LEVEL GIRDLE ISSUE by RoughCreations
[September 09, 2021, 10:05:15 AM]